Personality Cafe banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, is there any subconscious things a person does when they like someone. I have been fascinated with body language lately but I haven't found anything worth mentioning on this subject.

Is there some general things? maybe a site you can link where I can read up on this?

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
Some of the most common stuff I've read involves the person subconsciously mirroring your body language, turning to face you in their chair while you're talking, having an open hand/arm positioning rather than closed off or arms crossed... but behavior varies so much from person to person that I doubt you can really depend on it that much.

I would say a better indicator is if they reach out to touch you while talking to you, but not everyone does that. I do when I'm flirting. And/or drunk. But then you also have touchy people who do that regardless, so it's just really hard to tell.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I've learned to read body language. Compared with facial and verbal clues, you get a pretty good idea how things are going.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I have a bad habit of ignoring people I don't know, so I wouldn't know it if someone did like me unless they came up to me and asked me out... I was shopping today and when I left one store, an employee came running after me and gave me his bosses card telling me he thought I was cute and that I should call him sometime.

1) I don't date cowards. If you don't have the balls to introduce yourself to me, you probably can't handle a woman like me anyway.
2) I don't call men. I am very traditional and I will give out my phone number to my suiters.

When I like people, I have to make sure I really like them and that its not my raging hormones that are going to allow me to make poor decisions. I let some time pass before I act upon anything, unless I want something meaningless of course. I turn into a complete idiot when my hormones get in the way. I forget how to talk, am extra ditzy, and then there's the nervous laugh... So uncharacteristic of me. :frustrating:

·
Registered
215 Posts
Just from observing because this is not how I act. Majority of women seem to giggle, face or hair touching and lick their lips. They also do this thing I do not know if I will explain it right They kind of do a shy smile where they slightly tilt their face down and move their eyes away from their target. This is not all women though I do none of these things.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I was thinking about this, just in terms of myself. I act like a total idiot. Nowhere near as bad as a stereotypical, ditzy teenage girl, but heading in that direction.

I will twirl my hair, constantly. That one's a sure sign.
Laughing at everything slightly amusing.
Becoming much more extraverted.
Constant eye contact.
Awkward look around, catching their eye, unsure whether to smile or look away, just keep staring, feel like an idiot. You know the drill. :D
Teasing them, a lot.
If possible find an excuse to touch them (like, 'hey, nice wrist band' *grabs arm* that sort of thing)

But many people are probably more subtle. :D

·
Registered
17 Posts
I note that you are an INTP - so is my boyfyriend, and he is bad at picking up on non-verbal cues and is amazed at what I can spot e.g. when someone is feeling defensive, or when people are attracted to each other. So good on you for wanting to learn more. Learning to ready body language is actually fairly easy once you know what to look for. I recommend anything by Allan Pease, he's written several books on the subject, and talks alot about signs of attraction.

For both men and women, increased eye contact is the big one. Standing close, and mirroring each other's body positions. Women generally flick their hair, or touch their face, wet their lips etc. Touching your arm.

Anyway, I recommend reading up, and then people watching at a cafe; or the next time you go to a party observe the body language of people who have just been introduced. You'll be an expert in no time.

·
Registered
89 Posts
The eye contact thing can actually be misleading. People who are shy can stare and look away to avoid eye contact. Their reaction to people they're attracted to may also vary slightly. If he/she is polite and such, may be oddly cold towards their potential interest. And such. I think you should look for anomalies rather than specific signs. If you're being treated differently for no good reason, it may be a clue.

·
Registered
40 Posts
It's difficult to conceal or lie through nonverbal communication. Nonverbals communicate on an unconscious level, allowing us to be more open than we really are. It's important to learn to speak this language, but it can be challenging because everyone has their own unique dialect.

·
Registered
250 Posts
If I like someone I will watch them in a mildly creepy way. I will sneer at their jokes, goad them into arguments and drop off talking to them for long periods for no apparent reason. Also I normally dress in a very feminine manner (usually dresses) if I like a guy I will dress down around him. Jeans and babydoll t shirt . Less makeup etc. I will also wear cologne.
So I would have to agree with looking for changes in habits, rather than specific things.
I realize the stuff I do is really odd ... I will say it seems to work....but I kind of go for oddball guys

·
Registered
215 Posts
If I like someone I will watch them in a mildly creepy way. I will sneer at their jokes, goad them into arguments and drop off talking to them for long periods for no apparent reason. Also I normally dress in a very feminine manner (usually dresses) if I like a guy I will dress down around him. Jeans and babydoll t shirt . Less makeup etc. I will also wear cologne.
So I would have to agree with looking for changes in habits, rather than specific things.
I realize the stuff I do is really odd ... I will say it seems to work....but I kind of go for oddball guys
I am an 8 and I do similiar things. I know they are not common so I did not list mine. My mom told me after I was grown she never really worried about me dating as a teenager because when I did like a boy I tend to attack and see if I felt he was worthy-that is how she viewed it.

I read once that 8s attack those they sexual desire because they subconciously do not like the control those objects can weild over them and see this as a threat. Have you read anything similiar?

·
Banned
1,105 Posts
I tried reading body language. It was far too confusing, especially when dealing with an extrovert.

As for me, I tend to disassociate with those I'm interested in. It's far too confusing to attempt to actually deal with the feelings. Avoidance is much better in my experience.

·
Banned
2,009 Posts
And THIS is me, really, the explanation of the movie character is spot on- me. Well, in person Mr. Gibson is catholic and violent, I'm not.

·
Registered
65 Posts
The best way of finding out if someone is attracted to you is by getting him/her in a lightly lit room. Go close up to their face. If their pupils are dilated, they find you attractive.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I am an 8 and I do similiar things. I know they are not common so I did not list mine. My mom told me after I was grown she never really worried about me dating as a teenager because when I did like a boy I tend to attack and see if I felt he was worthy-that is how she viewed it.

I read once that 8s attack those they sexual desire because they subconciously do not like the control those objects can weild over them and see this as a threat. Have you read anything similiar?
Wow no I haven't and I am an 8 myself as I am sure you realize. That's pretty interesting and I can't say disagree with it. I lot of my reactions have to do with resisting control or responding to threats.

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
I tend to just somehow know it. Most telling sign is that somebody's behavior around you suddenly changes but without any reason. It becomes sort of unusual and unnatural, not matching their previous patterns of behavior towards you. They can either become very attentive and friendly towards you, or they can start ignoring your out of nowhere or even become overly hostile without any reason, but it would be hostility mixed with anxiety. In case that they will choose to ignore you, it will feel unnatural and as if they are trying to control themselves too much and be unresponsive to you on purpose. Hostility is sort of a defensive behavior as you are unsettling them too much so they are actively trying to drive you away. But if you ask the other person about it they won't be able to put together a good reason. And then the easiest to spot is when they are trying to be in center of your attention as often as possible.

·
Banned
1,174 Posts
@op
Two things.
Pay attention.
React on a gut level. i.e stop thinking about it.

·
Registered
141 Posts
The best way of finding out if someone is attracted to you is by getting him/her in a lightly lit room. Go close up to their face. If their pupils are dilated, they find you attractive.
I've noticed that those who wear glasses, constantly have dilated pupils...so I'm not sure how much this is reliable...I think dilated pupils is one of the most attractive features, cause it creates a warm look...
My pupils get dilated when I'm tired, and when there isn't much light...they get shrank in light..

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.