Personality Cafe banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello dear community. =)

I am meditating since 18 days now, I want to grow it to a habit. I am doing the "Do nothing meditation" by Shinzen Young. So when I am meditating the first 3-5 minutes I am aware of my thoughts and the next 10- 12 minutes it's like I am not conscious, I really don't know if I am sleeping or not, it don't feels like sleeping but it kinda is like sleeping. I don't know if that's the time when you got these Theta waves in your brain.
When I am back consciously my thoughts come back and the meditation always goes like 1- 3 minutes (Timer).

Had anyone expierienced this? Does anyone know what that could be?

I am very grateful for your answers, have a good week. =)

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
My understanding was that Buddhist meditation is actually going for the opposite of theta waves , that is, gamma waves, which are higher frequency than usual beta waves (whereas theta waves are lower frequency). So maintaining awareness is key-- you should feel more aware than you usually do, not less. But I'm also not clear on whether gamma waves are a real thing, but the point is, it's the opposite of sleep.

Transcendental meditation, on the other hand, aims for alpha waves, which are when you're really relaxed and sleepy, a little lower frequency that beta waves. But that's distinctly different from Buddhist meditation. At least that's my understanding.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have checked Shinzen Young and He is promesing enlihtment.

Then how about simple breathing meditation. Relax Your body part by part and calm down mind by counting backwords from 100 to 70 or to another point in order to make Your mind busy and focus on one thing.

Then just turn Your breath loose and observe it without thinking. Observe breath as a something friendly. And touths will coma after a while and they should be ignored and attention put back to breath. Do it for at least 20 min.

Any meditation is non thinking and does the same, This one is very easy, also make`s good healing connection to Your subsconcious (breathe operator).

Who called "masters" enlighted but themselves? I have never heard about enlighted master's student. By now it would be hundreds of thousends "enlighted" isn't it? There is no shortcuts but in subjecive mind of masters and belivers. Whenewer You hire word "enligtment" just count it as a masters mistake or lure to naive seekers. Eckhart Tolle shows natural way of development (not enlightment).

Regards.

·
Registered
47 Posts
charlie.elliot is correct that if your goal is mindfulness, you'll want to cultivate present-mindedness instead of absent-mindedness.

Multimir's advice is also sound. Many practices recommend starting with breath monitoring since it is fundamental to presence, responsive to will, and helpful for honing concentration. To start, take a few deep breathes and locate the point where you feel the "air" passing on/in your nostrils. Then return to normal/unforced breathing and focus on that point while you count your breaths up to 10 or so repeatedly. Once you can hold count for at least 5 minutes try practicing with just the breath and no counting.

If you're just starting then you'll often have intrusive thoughts but do your best not to "grasp" or "push" them. An often used example is to treat your thoughts as if you were sitting on a park bench and they were people jogging. You'd be aware of their passing but (normally) wouldn't feel any impulse to follow them. It's expected to struggle a lot at first but just calmly acknowledge "I am thinking" and return to your breath.

If you're interested in books, I'd highly recommend "Mindfulness in Plain English" by Gunaratana.

Best wishes with your practice.

·
Registered
8,949 Posts
Well, if you haven't left this world and become enlightened, then you're doing it wrong.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
keep at it, some good advice here (though I disagree with antipode’s). meditation is awesomeness. My mom started teaching me when I was a wiggly five year old who didn’t want to go to sleep.

I have been through those sleepy times you mention, I do think it’s best to get into meditation at a time when you are not feeling at all sleepy, don’t put it off until then! Or go to sleep and do it later. There are many ways to meditate, sounds like you are off to a great start. I’ve been very consistent with my meditations and stuff just gets so super interesting. I love the side effects!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Your meditation sounds like a (deeper) trance. For some people it's rather easy to slip and stay in this state and it can be very calming, relaxing. So even it is not awareness, but the opposite , it still can have positive effects for stress reduction and body relaxation.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Trick question, you can’t meditate wrong. There are different techniques depending on what you’d like to explore but if you notice a change in you, then there is no wrong way.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts