Personality Cafe banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've been looking around the internet and delving into topics about INTJs and it's rare that remarks about INTJ planning and foresight skills aren't made. It makes feel humble and uncertain if I really am an INTJ. If possible, I'd really like some insight and surefire ways to know if one is an INTJ. Have you ever doubted your personality type or feel like You've been mistyped?

·
King of Seduction
7,199 Posts
I know your feels bro.
When I first stumbled on this forum I tested as an INTJ and lots seemed to fit. However this whole intuitive "knowing without knowing" and the general intense introversion seemed like it didn't fit me. The INTP forum at the time resonated more but as time went on I realized they were a bit too emo and disinterested in domination for my liking.

I fell upon ENTJ despite never thinking I came off like a hardcore extrovert. But looking at myself, I realized that I had always had good people skills, and tended to lead or at least not be led unless I wanted to. I realized that I gravitated to INTP because they too were a thinking dominate type, but it was just more theoretical while I tend to be more empirical. Essentially I am concerned with seeing big picture and with piecing real world examples together and simplifying things to their most essential aspects.

So yes I doubted my type for a long time. Honestly I didn't really read into it too much at first. I just took what seemed like it could help me in my attempt to understand myself better and ran with it. When I started to read more about it and had a better grasp the doubt was no longer there. But it's like any new task - you know you're not an expert when you just start. As you do it more your confidence in your ability grows.

·
Premium Member
INTJ 5w4 (Sp/Sx) 594
538 Posts
So to give some info to INTJs who may be struggling to accept their identity, I'll give you my retrospection.

I know I was typed as an INFJ for a couple of years, mainly because that is what the tests told me, and I really resonated with having dominant Ni, and inferior Se.
But the more I looked at it, I don't think I ever really used Fe and Ti, at least not to the preferred extent an INFJ does.

First off, I realized that I had the potential to sympathize with people, not necessarily empathize with them (empathy is making the feelings of other people your own). Fe users sometimes have trouble separating their own feelings from others.
I never really had that problem, as I could always know how I felt about something deep down. My time on this forum told me that I had deep feelings (as most INTJs do), but they have a really hard time expressing them. When I get vengeful, I can get vengeful. As such, I sometimes have a habit of jumping to conclusions about someone's intentions with me. I know personally, I've "jumped the gun" a few times, and said quite a few harsh things that could've been explained away with some context from the other party involved.

INFJs are also concerned about ethics, and how other people should behave (Fe).
I primarily judge others by my own morals (Fi).

Second, I realized that I misunderstood what Ti really was.
Introverted Thinking is being able to come up with your own insights, through an internal system of logic.
I never could do that effectively, and I always needed to constantly verify my beliefs and conclusions for me to adopt them. I am far too unsure of my own thinking to be considered a Ti user. I care far more about the conclusions I make, than the actual process of getting there.
Te is also known for categorizing and prioritizing external information. I always had a knack for improvisation (and remaining calm under pressure to get the job done effectively), and I often organize my days to spend the least amount energy possible on things I don't want to do, or things I find time consuming. The quicker I can get those things done, the more content I am.

I also have been verified a few times to be INTJ.
As I became more of a healthy individual (when I am working towards my goals), I realized my testing results began to change significantly. I moved away from INFJ, to INTP and INTJ.
I ended up going to Cognitive Personality Theory (an INFJ with a highly developed Ti, something that I identified with). We exchanged emails for a couple of weeks. At the end, he was very certain that I was an INTJ, even though I described to him that I felt I was an INFJ.

Hell, I'm even a beta tester for C.S. Joseph's personality assessment (despite what some people here think of him), and I've taken the test several times. Each time, I scored as an INTJ.

Once I looked past the INTJ stereotypes, I came to identify with INTJs more and more.
I am still not a huge fan with how INTJs are portrayed throughout the internet. We are not masterminds, nor assholes.
I was never quite as blunt as the INTJ stereotypes make us out to be. It's good to be blunt with the truth, but it is also important to be tactful.
I sometimes fail at this, but I don't see being an asshole as a virtue. It just ends up getting in the way of what you want to do generally.
I also attribute this to life experience. Trust me, where I lived, you didn't want to go around, pissing the wrong types of people off. You could end up getting other people involved in something they never agreed to...

If you foster good relationships with people (even in my case, where it is as little as a handful of people), it makes life a lot easier. I would rather this course of action than getting into fights constantly. Fights are draining.
That being said, I have no problem getting into a fight with someone when I think they are really wrong about something. I've had many former classmates, and even some family members block me on social media because I disagreed with them publicly on a variety of subjects. I can tell that even my father is nervous to get into a entanglement with me, and he noted I can be very aggressive and blunt.

So I guess some of the INTJ stereotypes are not entirely fictional after all.

But that is my story with how I came to realize I was an INTJ. After I realized this fact, I think I became a lot more secure with myself than when I identified as an INFJ.

Reactions: Miharu

·
Registered
112 Posts
I am interested in opinions here as well. Anyways I for most of the time, type as INTP on online tests. Going by descriptions, I can see a bit of myself in both profiles. Now due to all that, I seeked some external opinions based on some questionnaires here(people here typed be between these 2 types as well), tried using correlation between personality systems and came to the conclusion that it can't be as simple as that. When I have asked people I know in real life, even then I have actually got varying results. My brother thinks I am INTP, dad thinks INTJ, mother INFP and my uncle thinks I am ISTP, based on profile or so. However I can relate to ILI profile in socionics much better than INTJ in MBTI.

·
Registered
19 Posts
How to know if one is INTJ or not? hmmm!
First one should (rather must) conduct research into different theories such as socionics , MBTI , Jungian theory and what not.( I am not saying that one should get a PhD in all those theories). Then one would be able to select a theory as a standard for testing self. One should test self on that specific theory and if that testing concludes that one is INTJ then one is INTJ according to that theory. If not then not.
It is ridiculous to go around testing oneself on different theories and expect all of tests to conclude that one is INTJ. Different theories have different assumptions and these tests are different.
"Oh !I am aggressive .Guess I am INTJ."
"I am a narcissistic. I t means I am INTJ."
"I have always wanted to dominate the world.Well that makes me INTJ."
--------------------------------------UTTER RUBBISH---------------------------------
Understand the theory then take the test. Use the tool for what is is and what it measures. Don't associate things with the test what is it not capable of measuring.

"Carl Jung :
There is no such thing as a pure introvert or extrovert. Such a person would be in the lunatic asylum. "

·
Registered
INTJ subs: entj, istj, infj
477 Posts
Read a book from the founders ie. Myers with Gifts Differing and those who have been contributing to the development of MBTI recently and take some of the most reliable tests that test you at flow, not at stress between questions.

·
Registered
INTJ
819 Posts
I’ve been struggling with this too for years on and off. But it’s only because I never bothered to read deeply into each cognitive functions. I’ve always been interested but never fully. It was my mistake not to delve deeper when I should’ve done so years ago. Unlike others here who’ve typed as something else first, I’ve always typed as INTJ no matter what test I take. I also have been typed here years ago through a questionnaire. It was never about mistyping but more about feeling useless and too inferior to accept that I’m even remotely an INTJ. However, at first and for years, I’ve been content with that because I was growing up, heading to the direction I wanted. I was, I felt, succeeding in life; I felt capable, and so I must be INTJ. But now I’m a little stuck in a rut and recently felt so un-INTJ lol. But I couldn’t be more wrong. It’s not about being invincible or feeling confident and capable.

I just made my own type me thread again a few days ago, actually. Afterwards, I had an interesting (and still do, I just suck at replying) talk with @witty regarding cognitive functions and INTJ typing.

Suffice it to say that my doubts are pretty much gone. Those stemmed from insecurity. Much like you, I thought I wasn’t as intensely productive or consistently capable as an INTJ is supposed to be, as portrayed by those profile descriptions online. I felt too mellow to be such an intense type. I’m not as unfriendly and lonesome as the profiles would suggest. But through looking at how I display each cognitive functions, and even how I display Se when I’m not in the best of moods and place in life, it’s telling (just based on what stupid things I indulge in when stressed...). I’m not my best at the moment. I feel a little useless (thanks, pandemic) but it’s okay. We aren’t meant to be robots.

I say don’t rely on the INTJ descriptions or you’ll forever see the type as a character. Some sort of villainous asshole. Instead, study the cognitive functions and be true to yourself when you apply them to you. Don’t just study Ni-Te-Fi-Se, study their counterparts too. Figure out your primary and auxiliary functions. Verify it yourself, you know yourself best. These online tests don’t. It will either feel right or not.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I’ve been struggling with this too for years on and off. But it’s only because I never bothered to read deeply into each cognitive functions. I’ve always been interested but never fully. It was my mistake not to delve deeper when I should’ve done so years ago. Unlike others here who’ve typed as something else first, I’ve always typed as INTJ no matter what test I take. I also have been typed here years ago through a questionnaire. It was never about mistyping but more about feeling useless and too inferior to accept that I’m even remotely an INTJ. However, at first and for years, I’ve been content with that because I was growing up, heading to the direction I wanted. I was, I felt, succeeding in life; I felt capable, and so I must be INTJ. But now I’m a little stuck in a rut and recently felt so un-INTJ lol. But I couldn’t be more wrong. It’s not about being invincible or feeling confident and capable.

I just made my own type me thread again a few days ago, actually. Afterwards, I had an interesting (and still do, I just suck at replying) talk with @witty regarding cognitive functions and INTJ typing.

Suffice it to say that my doubts are pretty much gone. Those stemmed from insecurity. Much like you, I thought I wasn’t as intensely productive or consistently capable as an INTJ is supposed to be, as portrayed by those profile descriptions online. I felt too mellow to be such an intense type. I’m not as unfriendly and lonesome as the profiles would suggest. But through looking at how I display each cognitive functions, and even how I display Se when I’m not in the best of moods and place in life, it’s telling (just based on what stupid things I indulge in when stressed...). I’m not my best at the moment. I feel a little useless (thanks, pandemic) but it’s okay. We aren’t meant to be robots.

I say don’t rely on the INTJ descriptions or you’ll forever see the type as a character. Some sort of villainous asshole. Instead, study the cognitive functions and be true to yourself when you apply them to you. Don’t just study Ni-Te-Fi-Se, study their counterparts too. Figure out your primary and auxiliary functions. Verify it yourself, you know yourself best. These online tests don’t. It will either feel right or not.
💯

1 - 8 of 8 Posts