Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
This is a good question. I have never really thought about myself and the 'present' much. I guess that I think of something that I would enjoy and then make an easy goal to do that. While going for that goal I usually think of some steps in advance. Life is like a game to me:crazy:

So lets say I just feel like having a really good chocolate shake. I would go get the shake and on the way plan my next move that could be going to my friends house. From there it just keeps going forward for me. I am an expert on showing myself a good time and I enjoy most every moment of life. I would live forever if I could just to see what tomorrow looks like.

My goals for the present are usually very simple and I just do the things I would like to do.
I would like to wake up.
I would like a shower.
I would like some oatmeal.
I would like to watch the news.
I would like to make some money so I leave for work.
I would like more money, smarter coworkers, and a better job so I continue to further my education.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
My Se-dom friend just advised me the other day to "live in the present" as a solution to my melancholy. I protested, since I live in the future and can hardly imagine anything else, but it's something I've been thinking about too.

167 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Exactly. I feel like living in an illusion, mostly the future not so much the past. I'd like to have a taste of the Se function for a period of time, maybe then I can appreciate my Ne.

My Se-dom friend just advised me the other day to "live in the present" as a solution to my melancholy. I protested, since I live in the future and can hardly imagine anything else, but it's something I've been thinking about too.

·
Banned
349 Posts
Take some Ritalin.

(I'm not kidding.)
Ritalin? I do not know someone who had been taken it for asking deeply its effects.

If it works like you said, I mean, it's useful for "gruonding the mind", this would be a sort of side effect. The main function of this drug is helping concentration, and too much intuition generates too much ideas. When you're focused, you're "less intuitive", I suppose.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Try the power of now. Erkhardt tolle

Try and experience life through your senses, feel it, taste it, touch it, listen to it, mell it, let it happen and then move on.

Very hard place to stay, the mind is always concerned with rushing to the future or dwelling on the past or simply trying to manipulate what is.

I have had free sensational periods in my life experiencing the the crisp clean unencumbered passing of the now. Be careful, think too much and your swept away to another unrealistic reality lost in thought.

I have become unconscious to reality through counter productive patterns, this will change.

Thanks for the reminder

·
Registered
826 Posts
i think one of the ways for me to be able to live in the present is by travelling. long journeys by foot. the problem is that it's no good in daily life. i can't get stuff done because i start thinking about how it plans out, and then when i go back to work it's uninteresting. i just want to flow. movement between structures is the only way for me to experience reality with interest.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Nice post,

Is this an Si and Ni dominant issue?? (IXXJs,)??

or a Ti and Fi dominant issue?? (IXXPs )

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
45 Posts
The only times I've felt like my mind has been occupied by the present moment have been while involved in highly sensory activities that entertain the chance of injury or death. For example, crossing a rushing river in a tropical downpour by hopping from one slick, moss-covered crag to the next. It's an extremely uncomfortable state of being to think about, but if I force myself to do it, it almost feels like an epiphany of sorts while it's happening.

So... forcing myself to DO rather than to THINK seems to work well.

To live truly in the present in a way that is effective in my everyday life seems impossible, but I recognize that it is essential to create some balance by not getting too sucked into my thoughts, fears, and the future. Luckily, I have a zen master SO to help keep me grounded.

Also, like Noosabar said, look into Eckhart Tolle. At first his writings really drove me nuts because they seemed to be washed up new age spiritualism, but there is a beauty to his style that grabs onto me as much as I try to resist...

Read Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind by Shunryu Suzuki.

i think one of the ways for me to be able to live in the present is by travelling. long journeys by foot. the problem is that it's no good in daily life. i can't get stuff done because i start thinking about how it plans out, and then when i go back to work it's uninteresting. i just want to flow. movement between structures is the only way for me to experience reality with interest.
:cool:

·
Banned
140 Posts
It's just so darn difficult. Sometimes I think about nothing other than thoughts. How do I create a relationship with reality? I want to hear from you fellow INTPs
This might bring some perspective to your situation.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Try the power of now. Erkhardt tolle

Try and experience life through your senses, feel it, taste it, touch it, listen to it, mell it, let it happen and then move on.

Thanks for the reminder

I recommend Tolle as well. Just read "New Earth" and found it amazingly poignant and helpful.

It was a couple of years ago that I realized I wasn't living in the present and was constantly consumed by thoughts. Living in the present has been something I've been working on since this realization.

For me, it hasn't been easy getting there. Sometimes I'll experience a breakthrough and it will be great. Then, without warning, I'll be swept away by my thoughts.

You might try meditation, observing/labeling your thoughts (ie. the last thought I had was jealousy, the last thought I had was anger, etc.) and focusing on your breath. Just follow your breath naturally, not forcing it. Put all your attention just on your breath. If you are doing that correctly, you should have no thought. Do this several times throughout the day.

·
Registered
393 Posts
OK, after doing a few research, I've noticed that this "Unable to live in the present" problem is an Introvert problem. The higher the introversion, the worst it is. Introverts live in their own world, not in the present. The type of problem is different to each MBTI types

• INXJ <=Busy day dreaming
  • INxP <=Busy understanding things
  • ISXJ <=Busy reflecting the past (Imagine movie flashbacks)
  • ISxP <=Busy solving things
If controlled properly it's not actually a problem. It can be a source of natural leadership and intellect.

167 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for your reply. I'm not sure it's a E vs I problem. I know many introverts who are happy-go-lucky people. Having said that I would suspect it's gravitated more towards the Introverts as their dominant function always an introverted one.

If any of the functions were to have some sort of effect on being able to live in the present, it would have to be Se for obvious reasons. This function does not appear in INTP. That, along with domTi (not impulsive), secNe (endless possibilities). Like how I often feel I need to look into the future to protect myself, and how I often run through all possible scenarios in my mind on something. But that's just my speculation and it's definitely interesting to see if this only appears in introverts.

OK, after doing a few research, I've noticed that this "Unable to live in the present" problem is an Introvert problem. The higher the introversion, the worst it is. Introverts live in their own world, not in the present. The type of problem is different to each MBTI types

• INXJ <=Busy day dreaming
  • INxP <=Busy understanding things
  • ISXJ <=Busy reflecting the past (Imagine movie flashbacks)
  • ISxP <=Busy solving things
If controlled properly it's not actually a problem. It can be a source of natural leadership and intellect.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Thanks for your reply. I'm not sure it's a E vs I problem. I know many introverts who are happy-go-lucky people. Having said that I would suspect it's gravitated more towards the Introverts as their dominant function always an introverted one.

If any of the functions were to have some sort of effect on being able to live in the present, it would have to be Se for obvious reasons. This function does not appear in INTP. That, along with domTi (not impulsive), secNe (endless possibilities). Like how I often feel I need to look into the future to protect myself, and how I often run through all possible scenarios in my mind on something. But that's just my speculation and it's definitely interesting to see if this only appears in introverts.
I don't agree it's just Se. Ne is also living in the moment, but it's a whacky kind of moment.

So in reality, I think IxxPs would be a bit better compared to IxxJs .

1 - 20 of 44 Posts