Personality Cafe banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, been awhile since I posted here and lately I've changed my perspective on this mbti stuff. Like, I no longer really buy into it that much. But I do think that it gets a few things here and there. So, as far as ENTPs go no I don't think we're super human awesome machines, but I do think there are some traits that some people have which can be put into the category of ENTP of whom we all understand to exhibit these traits.

The particular trait I want some help with is my flakyness. I'm super excited to start things, but have trouble finishing them. When I start something I go full speed ahead. I'm gonna get this shit done, I'm gonna be the best at this thing. Playing guitar, doing animation, writing, singing, martial arts, getting a job(I'm 17, so getting a job isn't a necessity but something I want to do so I can have some money), etc. In my past I've done all these things and a lot more but never got anywhere because I ended up losing focus. Well, I re-picked up guitar and am starting to get good, but I'm worried I'm gonna end up being a bitch and get bored. And I don't want to stop, but I feel like I might. Because I'm always 100% sure that what I'm doing is what I love, but it doesn't take too long for me to stop and go back into a stagnant shitfuck of a state.

The reason this is a serious issue is because my life lacks passion. It's one thing to the next and no real focus. I'll never be great at something if I just settle to be good at a lot of different things. And I'll never have a job which I'll genuinely care about. I'll end up being a miserable minimum wage dude who just can't wait till the weekend to go out and get fucked up just to feel like his life is a little bit less meaningless. Like I said, I'm 17 and I'm running out of time to get my life on track. So.. advice on anything I said? Especially I want advice on NOT losing focus and MAINTAING energy when it comes to hobbies.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
3 things.

let your mind go to the big universe cool thing - but then edit down or break things down into bite sized chunks.

Learn how to sell and delegate - look for why people would want to help you or buy a product etc - and then don't kick yourself - you are a starter and you don't have to finish or you don't have to do all the follow through yourself. You are more of a starter than finisher - own it.

and or maybe first - put yourself in positions where you will have to do or die, get used to the idea that the 3/4 point is always hell, and your self doubt is not real. - know what it is like follow through and live to see the other side.

oh and things that are boring - IS it important, or okay to just let it go? If important - how long does it really take? Commit to one chunk like - hey I can stand anything for one hour etc.

You are young - okay to try lots of stuff.

·
Registered
184 Posts
The easiest way for me to maintain a steady interest in something is to take a break from it. I have like 3 or 4 things always on the go so if I feel like taking a break for a month or two I can return to it when it interests me again.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I believe I have been in the same spot as you have. Try to outline some big plans for your future and do not think too big of them, after they are sorted out. Start enjoying the smaller bits as @Old Intern mentioned.

Maintaining focus can be a serious dull thing to do. You should learn more on meditation skills and skills that can maintain your energy on things. Such as learning how to keep a good daily routine and how your brain really works when you go creative and on a flow state. A person that waits for the weekend to begin, is the worse kind of person, I'd think. Work on a single passion that leads up to you saying that the start of the week is best as you can start working off on anything you really enjoy.

Oh, and start writing a diary. Pile up your crap there and you will never go back onto it. It's relieving.

·
Registered
5,800 Posts
It helps when you know where your Zone is. Try to analyze your transes and find which one gives you more focus/motivation. I think it is not obvious and need a lot of trial.
I was around 23 when I started experiencing these more consciously and around 26 I think I found an interesting Zone.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I'd suggest watching this when you get a chance and/or check out the book The Hero with A Thousand Faces

Joseph Campbell's stuff is all about finding your passion(s) in life.

I don't think most ENTPs are easily satisfied... but I don't think trying to force yourself to be maintain energy is the right way to go about it. If something doesn't continue to satisfy and make you passionate you can't force it. That doesn't mean time you spent in anything was a waste. When it comes to stuff like music, learning about subjects, writing or other projects, I do often find that if I start focusing on something else more, I'll eventually come back to working on or benefit from the stuff I had lost focus on months or years ago.

You should just look at everything, all the different things you pursue, places you go, struggles, and dissatisfaction as part of a journey you take to live a life that you will find fulfilling :)

If you're not satisfied, you should move onto the next thing.

If you find you struggle more than others to be satisfied, it's because you need more than they do to be satisfied. You may have struggle a lot more than others to figure out what you need in life to be satisfied, let alone to make it happen, but it will be worth it.

1,162 Posts
The easiest way for me to maintain a steady interest in something is to take a break from it. I have like 3 or 4 things always on the go so if I feel like taking a break for a month or two I can return to it when it interests me again.
I do that too. I notice I accomplish way, way more if I have a lot of different projects going on at once. Some will get abandoned or left on the wayside and then picked up again, but I bounce between them like a rabbit on speed. Things actually get completed.
@Old Intern is also on to something, do things in small chunks. You don't have to finish a project immediately.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Often, If I don't want to do something it's because it seems overwhelming, or the "pay off" seems - foggy (for lack of a better word). If something is infinite or undefined in possibilities, but finite and specific for the task at hand, I can focus.

For @TheVerb's comment,- amazingly we can produce better work by having a switch off of a few projects going in one time period.
Otherwise I might tweak away on minor variations that aren't worthwhile in retrospect. Coming back with a fresh mind, plus one project sparking an idea for finishing an unrelated project happens too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.