Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you make up your mind ?

I'm having a little bit of trouble lately because I need to get a job (school requirement) for the summer, but I'm having a hard time taking all the possibilities and reasons and other stuff into consideration so I can form a proper conclusion...

·
Banned
15 Posts
I don't know what the specifics are in regard to your situation, but I would do my best to find a job that provides the optimum combination of pay, distance, daytime hours, and job security. Having social connections helps in landing a job, as well. You could also ask for advice from someone who knows you personally.

As an INTP, I would stay away from jobs that require high amounts of social finesse combined with directiveness, such as sales. Other than that, I'd personally be willing to work with almost any job.

This is somewhat general advice, but hopefully it helps some.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I follow the path of least resistance, so I can think less about irrelevant stuff like jobs and food, and spend more time on all that important, useless stuff.
Probably not good advice >.>

·
Banned
5,669 Posts
How do you make up your mind ?

I'm having a little bit of trouble lately because I need to get a job (school requirement) for the summer, but I'm having a hard time taking all the possibilities and reasons and other stuff into consideration so I can form a proper conclusion...
I think I may be able to sidestep getting a summer job after all.

:proud:

Just don't get one.

As an INTP, I would stay away from jobs that require high amounts of social finesse combined with directiveness, such as sales. Other than that, I'd personally be willing to work with almost any job.
INTPs can do sales. I love sales.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
How do I make up my mind? Hmmm...

First I make a pros and cons list (in my head) and think about all of the factors that included with the decision. If I see that one decision is more beneficial, then I go with that. If both are the same, then it's eeny meeny miny mo.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
How do I make up my mind? Hmmm...

First I make a pros and cons list (in my head) and think about all of the factors that included with the decision. If I see that one decision is more beneficial, then I go with that. If both are the same, then it's eeny meeny miny mo.
This. Only, I don't go with eeny meeny miny mo, I go with the gut feeling and "opportunity cost."

·
Registered
166 Posts
Is this that bullshit unpaid work experience? Yeah I never bothered, so they tried to send me to Asda to stack shelves I never went. No-one can force you to work.

I always choose the path of least resistance, I like to think I'm like electricity or water but really I'm just lazy.

·
Registered
427 Posts
If all else fails then just choose something and when you don't feel comfortable with the choice, you know you should have taken the other option. Which you will then accordingly do.

·
Registered
821 Posts
I have a 5 step process:

Step 1: Think about all your options
Step 2: Forget about decision till deadline.
Step 3: Realize decision must be made immediately.
Step 4: Panic
Step 5: Eenny-meeny.

·
Registered
692 Posts
INTP the shit out of everything, just use logic.
Logic doesn't always work. For example, I'm painting a filing cabinet and I can't decide if I should paint it that lagoon color Rusto Oleum has, or maybe aqua or turquoise. I was almost at the point of giving up today and just painting it camouflage, but I'm afraid I may not be able to find it and I lose enough things around here.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
As much as I'd love to use logic, the thought process might never end, or I'd die in the process... I was at the point of analyzing how some things might work out in the distant future if I take one way and not the other, but then I went a little back, changed a few details, and tried to figure how that would impact the outcome... It would just never end.

I think I'll go with the choosing of one and if it isn't good, I'll just go another way.

Thanks fellas!

·
Registered
729 Posts
Mark out the pros and cons?

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I'm in the same position (an INTP looking for work this summer), and honestly, all I can tell you is to stop thinking about it (which is a very frightening prospect, I know) and just go out and ask businesses for applications and see what you can get. Anywhere is good. Go to local restaurants, stores, etc. Anyplace. Just go for it.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm in the same position (an INTP looking for work this summer), and honestly, all I can tell you is to stop thinking about it (which is a very frightening prospect, I know) and just go out and ask businesses for applications and see what you can get. Anywhere is good. Go to local restaurants, stores, etc. Anyplace. Just go for it.
The problem wasn't with finding a place for work, but of picking the optimum place for work. It's difficult to weigh the pros and cons without enough information, and information regarding such matters isn't easy to acquire, I guess all you can do is try one and if it isn't what you wish for, try the other, and so on... Oh I wish I could just do some Out of Body Experiencing and study what I want without physically being there...

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
The problem wasn't with finding a place for work, but of picking the optimum place for work. It's difficult to weigh the pros and cons without enough information, and information regarding such matters isn't easy to acquire, I guess all you can do is try one and if it isn't what you wish for, try the other, and so on... Oh I wish I could just do some Out of Body Experiencing and study what I want without physically being there...
Well, I was more saying that you shouldn't let constant thinking and consideration make you indecisive. Basically, I find that I tend to just think and worry about things too long, and never end up actually doing anything and giving myself the options that I spend so much time considering in my head. I realize that your issue might not be finding those places, but in order to find the best place, you're just going to have to go out and get more information through experience. So once you've applied to places and are accepted, just choose one. You have to apply.

Reactions: Adrianl

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I've learned that there are times when you just have to shut up and do something. That said, I, myself, am still trying to put that into practice.
Whatever you choose, you'll learn something from it and it'll lead you somewhere. If you don't like it, the experience will help you get a grasp on what you don't like/want in future jobs. Wish I could be less vague, but that's my philosophy and that's one reason I don't plan ahead much.

"Just do it."

If you still can't, write your options here and give us your pros and cons for each.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts