Personality Cafe banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am an INTJ in my late 20s. After work and on my days off I find myself watching TV, and browsing the Internet to recharge my energy. This has been my go to for 15 years, I believe it started as an escape from life during my teen years. It has become more and more apparent to me that this is a terrible way for me to recharge at the end of the day. I accomplish nothing, and never really feel fully recharged. I feel TV watching and browsing the Internet is more about shutting down my brain for a long period of time, but I feel way more energized when I am using my brain.<br>
<br>
I want to get ideas on how to more efficiently recharge my energy after work, so I can me more productive. I believe I need a better balance of using my introverted Intuition, and Extroverted Sending. Has anyone else had to find better ways to recharge, and what did you do? Any suggestions?

·
Banned
3,255 Posts
I develop my Se by doing yoga with meditation. Because it's a physical meditative practice it does help me to connect more to the here and now and also be aware of my body and surroundings more. I have found this to be very helpful as afterwards I tend not to zone out and faff about as much. It also releases a lot of tension which keeps the muscles tight and bound up. Yoga helps to lower cortisol levels in the system. I always know I'm going unhealthy when I spend most of a day on the internet and do nothing else.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I found photography and playing an instrument to be helpful. Both help me to be more in the moment and clear my head while directing my focus on a specific task. I also read a lot.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Meditation, tai chi, yoga, weight training and art appreciation work wonders.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I find a good brain game does the trick. Something silly even, like Farm Frenzy. Lately SIMS 3 is my favorite, because I can manage the people and remodel the home. Creativity and management all in one. Highly recommend it!

·
Registered
11,991 Posts
i think my trick is to find something that blocks the more conscious layers of thought while still letting the less structured, more subliminal ones wander around in my mind. usually when i'm starting to crack, it's because that layer isn't getting its share of time to do its own sorting and settling.

so tv or even reading don't do it for me. for one thing they're too passive, but the real issue is that they're still 'intake' so they block the entire spectrum of my mind, not just the part that i want to disable for a while. i usually do better with something involving my body but that doesn't require any conscious thought. handsy stuff is good, like knitting or even washing the dishes or cooking something, but so is biking.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am trying to do more hiking, cooking, and reading. It can be difficult to break my old habits. Coming home and turning on the TV is so easy, but I know it is a waist of time.

·
Registered
899 Posts
I you need a better way to recharge you mental energy then i suggest listening to music or playing sports. But, if you need to recharge you physical energy, then just i would go with just music. It works for me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts