Personality Cafe banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please help :), how can I motivate my INTP teenage (15 yrs old) brother to study hard? He's a procrastinator, is really sweet and intelligent and funny but spends a lot of time on the computer and doesn't (understandably, he's an INTP after all) respond well to criticism or pressure or people invading his space. It would also be helpful for me to know what to tell my parents to tell him, because they tend to get his back up by being critical which, I don't think, is going to be very motivating for him at all. However he does really need to do well at school this year so that he can do what he would like to in the future. Thanks :cool:

·
Registered
136 Posts
Sometimes I kinda think of school as a sort of game.

Getting high grades is like getting XP. The more, the better, the higher, the better. And I have a sort of visual image of collecting it all... I'm a collector type by nature, I collect a lot of material crap.. But knowglede and facts is also something I collect.
The smarter I get, the better prepared I am in conversations with others, when needed to get facts streight. And the smarter I get, the bigger possibilities I have, when choosing a future carieere. Then I feel I got the world at my feet, and there is no stopping me, if there is something I want to do, or be.

On a personal level, I just feel a bit better than others, when I know all the right answers ;)

·
Registered
220 Posts
INTPs will be hard to motivate in school if they don't like their teachers or the subject. In fact, if it is a rote memorization subject, you can pretty much forget it. The best thing to do when talking to an INTP is to talk about pros and cons of certain behavior.

For ex., try to explain that yes, this stuff is boring and probably useless in the long run. However, I know in my own experience, spending only a half-hour more a day on my studies in school would have made a huge difference. Another thing that works is the positive feedback. Getting a teacher to really appreciate the work will go a long way. I would try to find the kid a good mentor who can frame studying and academic success in a different light than he thinks of it now.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I'm a 14-year-old INTP with really important exams this year. I share his pain! I really want to do well, but I have huge problems with studying. It's not that I can't get round to it (I mean, I can't, but that's not the problem), but revision just doesn't help me. We had mock exams last year and studying for Physics actually had me in tears. I didn't understand what to do. The information wasn't staying in my head. I was reading over it again and again, but it WAS NOT STICKING.

I got a 1 on the test - 1 being the best in a 1-7 scale.

As long as I understand it all the first time, I usually don't have any problems. The only real revision I have to do is for Maths. I look over formulae for whatever topics will be in the test the night before it and skim through my notes before we go into the exam hall. I'll sometimes do this with other subjects, but as long as the teacher's done his job in class, I'll be fine.

If there's work that I really don't want to do, then the only way to motivate me is to say, "It might not be fun, but you just have to do it. It'll look good on your CV." I really hate German (it's basically 'How to use an English-German Dictionary'), but I try my best in it because I want to have as many qualifications as possible. I want straight 1s/As this year!

By the way...why do you care so much about your brother? Before I reread your post, I thought you were a parent! I'm not saying it's a bad thing that you care, but your brother might feel like you're patronizing him or meddling where it's really none of your business. It might be totally different in your family, but I'd think about it before you say anything, even if you do mean well.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Offer him a reward for different grades [like, B $25, A $50]. Or a punishment if he doesn't get an A. I don't really know what else will help. Perhaps he has a bit of a nihilistic view on the world so he just doesn't care that much [many intps probably fall into this, myself included], so maybe try and give him a little perspective [or take some of his perspective a way (nihilistic)] or just take him out for a fun time or discuss philosophy.

Do anything to cheer him up would be my suggestion, because once he's happy, he might not be so dependant on his computer for a laugh.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I can tell you what happened the years I got all A's. My friend met me after dinner, same time every night, and we discussed and worked on every subject I had. This often only took about a hour. The result for me was perfect marks. We played games afterward. I should add that my friend was also a former accountant and my grandmother.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Hm... tough one. High school sucks. It could help a lot if he has a like-minded mentor who can say, "yeah, this may be boring and stupid, but it's a means to a better end." Let him know that there are a lot of us who have been there! He has college to look forward to, and it is much more INTP-friendly than high school. You still have to take some classes you don't want, but mostly you choose what you want to study. No one is breathing down your back and most of your teachers don't really care whether you show up or not. If you fail, it's money out of your (or your parents') pocket.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I'm a 14-year-old INTP with really important exams this year. I share his pain! I really want to do well, but I have huge problems with studying. It's not that I can't get round to it (I mean, I can't, but that's not the problem), but revision just doesn't help me. We had mock exams last year and studying for Physics actually had me in tears. I didn't understand what to do. The information wasn't staying in my head. I was reading over it again and again, but it WAS NOT STICKING.

I got a 1 on the test - 1 being the best in a 1-7 scale.

As long as I understand it all the first time, I usually don't have any problems. The only real revision I have to do is for Maths. I look over formulae for whatever topics will be in the test the night before it and skim through my notes before we go into the exam hall. I'll sometimes do this with other subjects, but as long as the teacher's done his job in class, I'll be fine.

If there's work that I really don't want to do, then the only way to motivate me is to say, "It might not be fun, but you just have to do it. It'll look good on your CV." I really hate German (it's basically 'How to use an English-German Dictionary'), but I try my best in it because I want to have as many qualifications as possible. I want straight 1s/As this year!.
4th Paragraph: French is the same for us. Its pretty much just a contest to see how fast you can find the French word for ____ (fill in the blanks) in a French-English/English-French dictionary.

3rd Paragraph: All of this = me. Here is a fun thing to do: When the teacher is droning on about some sort of thing related to school (ergo, non-curriculum related) find some random numbers (from the news, around the room, etc.) and then input it into formulas and try to get as close to Pi as possible :laughing: Its surprisingly fun. Or draw tiny cartoons with formula diagrams as the main character (e.g. if its Pythagorean Theorem, have 300 right angle triangles fighting off endless hordes of rectangles (if you don't get the reference, go watch 300 ).

1st Paragraph: Same for me. I just don't study and stick to listening the hell out of classes.

·
Registered
89 Posts
The problem with INTPs is they tend to resist help and guidance. The second you tell your brother the ends justify the means in terms of studying, he very well might just immediately disagree with you and disregard what you say (note-he may not verbally disagree with you....but it could very well be in his thoughts.) The only way I can see him focusing on studying and working hard in school is if it's his idea. Even if you offer the INTP a reward for working hard, the INTP must believe it is worth it. Any attempts to convince him it is worth it run the risk of being met with resistance and negativity. It truly becomes a question of whether you can convince him to convince himself to be motivated. I'm sure there's a way to do this, but I'm not sure it's worth the effort.

I might be wrong, but that's my experience.

Hope it helps? :blushed:

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Tell him if he doesn't he will end up like Joethebull. Lonely and out casted by his fellow geeks.:laughing: Just joking. tell you the truth I can't even get myself motivated more then half the time to study. Telling that your worried isn't going to cause much problems unless you do it all the time. Then he will feel like your trying to control him in a not so obvious way. Criticizing may only breed contempt and a need to prove the person who is criticizing wrong in some way. There are a few people I accept criticism and advice from. Family isn't one of them except my one younger brother since he will listen to the things I say even when they don't sound right or try to dominate and control the conversation. Sorry can't really think of anything at the moment.

·
Banned
369 Posts
I was the same way in school and I don't have a good answer. Nagging and shaming as you already know just don't work. As an adult I look back now and want to kick myself. The best I can tell you is to take it from an another INTP who has been there that someday he will reget not using his abilities. You can't get it back! His life ahead is not going to be easy believe me. Tell him to make a game of it and show the world how brilliant INTPs are! When I take test now for my work or whatever I what to kick ass. If only I had that kind of drive back then but thats the point, you don't get do overs. Read him my post and let him know that others have been there and understand but please don't make the mistakes I did!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts