Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah, this is blasphemy...

...But seriously. Any ideas?

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
Unless you look at your type as a description of your actions, behaviors, etc., you can't really not be an INFP(provided that's your definite type).
Why, though?

·
Banned
1,969 Posts
Why would you want to be anything other than (and I quote) a rare and incredibly gifted individual? :tongue:

What's up? Having problems? :(

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Contemplate everything in terms of cause and effect. Embrace logic. Realize you can't trust your own feelings and senses and rely on inner judgement.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I've wondered the same thing...but then I realized...

Why fight who you are? We are a very rare type, so a lot of others might think we're weird or not be able to relate to us. We can pretend we're aggressive go-getters, pretend we always have out feet on the ground and our heads out of the clouds, pretend we're not governed by our feelings...

But the one thing I have learned here, in my whole two days, haha, is that I'm not ashamed of who I am anymore! All of these things people are posting about - I'm realizing - I'm not a total weirdo! I'm not an eccentric, lazy, hermit! Well, I am, but so is everyone else here.

We can all work to change our actions, but you'll never be able to change who you are. Might as well love yourself!

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
We can all work to change our actions, but you'll never be able to change who you are. Might as well love yourself!
I think the best thing is to just be self-aware. Know your strengths, and take pride in them. Know your weaknesses, and work on them as you have to for whatever life throws at you. But only work on them if you see the need.

I see so much that people associate certain traits with certain types as if changing yourself would mean becoming more of a thinker or more of an extrovert or judger or something. I understand if people are just using simple terms for conversation, but I just want to make this point :crazy:
And I've said it before, everyone has a different point of view. Everyone would be considered weird by another person's point of view. Trying to change yourself for the sake of other people will drive you fuckin' nuts!

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Don't listen to them cnote. Purge your inner demons. Destroy your emotions. Forget all about petty human existence and transcend into the cold abyss of the INTJ world. Muhahahaha!

Seriously though, you're better off accepting yourself for who you are. You can act like someone else all you want, but it's always going to be an act.

·
Registered
717 Posts
You're basically asking to switch dominant functions, unless you want to be an ISFP, and even if you can switch, it will take a lot of time and effort to make your new dominant function as strong as your old one, and during that time, you'll probably make a lot of mistakes and lose confidence.

If you want to be an ISFP, then you only need to switch your second function from Ne to Se. Or you could just try to develop Ne until it surpassed Fi as your dominant function and try to be ENFP or do that and then try to replace Fi with Ti and become ENTP.

I'm not even sure that it's possible or that, even if you could do this, you would be a true ISFP, ENFP, ENTP... and not just a disguised INFP, but if you want to change types, that's where I'd start.

However, I've heard that when your tertiary and inferior functions develop you go through quarter and mid-life crises, and I'd imagine trying to change types would have even worse consequences.

Reactions: Benedox

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
look ièm getting this isnèt a serious thread so much as a what an INFP would not do.
so yeah

i guess narcissism would be the most Un-INFP thing to do

·
Registered
53 Posts
I thought perhaps that was what it was but she did say...but seriously. So I took it seriously. I've wanted to change my personality a million times!

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
You can be an INFP without fitting neatly inside a box. A function set won't define your entire life or even your identity.

If you want to change, change. It's all about priorities and maybe a change of perspective.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
^ that.
Second most would be not returning to check for replies.

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
i have a theory that if i were truly happy, i would not be an INFP. To be an infp is to embrace sadness, loneliness, low self esteem, and self loathing. You take away all the negative traits that we have and guess what, we no longer fit the INFP description. The upside to an INFP is that we want to help the world, are creative, and we are completely selfless and therefore, we can sacrifice ourselves for the greater good, . None of these "positive" traits will lead us anywhere in terms of true happiness. To be happy is to be selfish, arrogant, ignorant, and shallow.

Sorry for the hate fellow infps, in one of those shitty moods.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Well, to not be an INFP I think the only way is to take some drugs that can alter your personality. And I don't think it's a good idea. To change your personality type would be like changing the color of your skin; impossible.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I've wondered the same thing...but then I realized...

Why fight who you are? We are a very rare type, so a lot of others might think we're weird or not be able to relate to us. We can pretend we're aggressive go-getters, pretend we always have out feet on the ground and our heads out of the clouds, pretend we're not governed by our feelings...

But the one thing I have learned here, in my whole two days, haha, is that I'm not ashamed of who I am anymore! All of these things people are posting about - I'm realizing - I'm not a total weirdo! I'm not an eccentric, lazy, hermit! Well, I am, but so is everyone else here.

I used to pretend to be a Rational when I first read about the Keirsey temperaments. You see, I wanted to be like a Ravenclaw from Harry Potter so I tried to be rational and logical, which didn't work out too well. It made me think I was an INTP for awhile, when I was really an INFP. :tongue:

·
Registered
806 Posts
i have a theory that if i were truly happy, i would not be an INFP. To be an infp is to embrace sadness, loneliness, low self esteem, and self loathing. You take away all the negative traits that we have and guess what, we no longer fit the INFP description. The upside to an INFP is that we want to help the world, are creative, and we are completely selfless and therefore, we can sacrifice ourselves for the greater good, . None of these "positive" traits will lead us anywhere in terms of true happiness. To be happy is to be selfish, arrogant, ignorant, and shallow.

Sorry for the hate fellow infps, in one of those shitty moods.
As grim as that outlook is, it's true. I'm an INFP, and I can't get rid of that incessant voice in my head that always tells me what a horrible person I am. I know I have my quirks, but whenever I compare myself to others I feel like I fall short. I feel like I'm superior to others in some ways, but at the same time feel as if there's something wrong with me and that I'm some strange alien that was dropped on planet Earth.

4,757 Posts
As grim as that outlook is, it's true. I'm an INFP, and I can't get rid of that incessant voice in my head that always tells me what a horrible person I am. I know I have my quirks, but whenever I compare myself to others I feel like I fall short. I feel like I'm superior to others in some ways, but at the same time feel as if there's something wrong with me and that I'm some strange alien that was placed on planet Earth.
I can somewhat relate - whenever I have a positive thought about myself, I think I'm being arrogant and unnecessarily smug about myself. I always think that whenever I feel good about a certain quality of mine, the world can always show me up and bring me to my knees. In other words: feeling good = hubris.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Rip your heart out of your chest. Dash it against a sharp wall and slam it on the ground.. stomp it furiously until you get tired, then immerse it in oil and set it ablaze. Then watch 200 hours of ESPN (or just like clean the house if you're a girl)

1 - 20 of 42 Posts