Personality Cafe banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To start off, I HIGHLY doubt I am an ESFP so don't say "Well you're actually an ESFP so that's not normal!" or whatever.

Anyway, my dad (ESTJ) is concerned for me because he thinks I don't pay enough attention to the moment. He's worried because he says if I keep this up I'll be a terrible driver and I won't be any better at soccer, especially because I was a defender. He saw me tuning out in the last 5 minutes of track and of course I almost got hit with a discus. Luckily my coach got up in my face and saved me lol.

How can I do this? This scares me that I might take people's lives while driving all becaus I'm a friggin' intuitive.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
I'm 23, have not had an accident, nor have gotten a ticket.

You will be fine!

Obviously when you're driving, you're going to be much more alert to your surroundings. I mean, if you walk into a wall... you likely won't die or kill somebody else. Same with getting hit by a shot put (though, OUCH!). When you're driving, you have to recognize that you need to prioritize safety. This means I always look at the road- even with people in the car-, I don't play too loud of music, if I don't feel good enough to drive I don't, I always make sure I can see properly, and I paid strict attention in drivers ed to the rules and regulations.

I've actually found that, surprisingly enough, I'm pretty alert to my surroundings even though I'm not always 100% present. You learn that in areas you drive frequently, you can easily tell if something is out of place (like if there is a deer or something).

I don't know if this is common either, but when I go somewhere new, I always make somebody else drive. I get very stressed driving in new areas because I'm not familiar with the area and landscape. Usually I pick it up quickly... but if you ever feel unsure pull over and let somebody else drive or make sure you map out where you're going ahead of time. Google Earth = rocks :)

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
How can I do this? This scares me that I might take people's lives while driving all becaus I'm a friggin' intuitive.
I've zoned out at the wheel to think about algorithms for minutes at a time.... eventually realizing... 'oh crap, I don't remember driving for the last 5 minutes... I was there and now I'm here and there's a big memory gap in between..... well... neat.... scary... but neat....'

When I realized that occasionally happened I paid more attention to it, I seem to still be quite alert and at the ready if need be despite it all... I'd not worry too much.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I've also never been in an accident, you'll be fine! Practice makes perfect and once you get the hang of one "sensor" area, it makes others easier. I was horrible at sports when I was young, but I kept trying and going to practice and eventually something clicked, and once it clicked some physical things (swimming, basketball, etc) came very naturally and I ended up being at least pretty decent. Just practice, practice, and don't let yourself be distracted and use common sense, no phone hankypanky while driving for example and don't push yourself to do things you don't think it makes sense to do. Running is something I think everyone zones out during, you don't really have anything expected to pay attention to ;)

1,750 Posts
I personally am highly in tune with my surroundings most of the time... I don't know if this is necessarily a type thing.

However I also like to "partake"... when I'm forked I force myself to concentrate by starting with my expression. I force myself to hold an expression of extreme concentration. I feel, perhaps superstitiously, that this kicks my mind into a state of concentration. I then focus on what I know the relevant details to be; in a sequence. For example if I am driving I repeat a mantra "speed, lines, cars, mirrors". As I go through this mantra I look for one second (approx) to each relevant detail.

Yeah bad juju and all that but it works for me. Works for me when talking to people when I'm sauced, etc hahaha. When you have limited focus, focus on that which really matters. The results are indistinguishable.

Reactions: Some Kind of Blue
1 - 5 of 5 Posts