Personality Cafe banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone!

I realised that what really keeps me from being productive are my emotions. Instead of just doing something I am just sitting around analysing how I am feeling at the moment. And I also often use my emotions as an excuse for my non existant productivity. When I am forced to be productive while I am daydreaming (and yes, that's the case very often unfortunately!), it feels like a super difficult task and costs me a lot of energy to get active.

So, what I want to know: Is there any possibility putting away your emotions? Sometimes I love being a very emotionally intense person, but many times those emotions are just not useful and keep me from having a relaxed and balanced day.

I am very interested in your experiences and would be interested in your thoughts of canalising emotions successfully! :)

·
Registered
625 Posts
I'm not sure it's possible for an Fi-dom to just... put away their emotions, as you'd put it, when the situation calls for it. I do have a similar problem to you in that being thrown "pure Fi" mode (or being stuck in an Fi-Si loop for an hour or so) can hinder productivity or any kind of action. You seem to be significantly more introverted than I am in that you seem to lack interest in the external world and in engaging with it, so I'm probably not going to be of much help. You've got to put yourself in situations that pull on your Ne and Te. Te-heavy activities can be very draining, but Ne-heavy activities have the opposite effect - they're stimulating and I personally find them "energizing."

With your Ne activated and engaged, it can be very easy to start a project but very difficult to finish it. My advice here would be to a) try not to get ahead of yourself (which can be very difficult) and to b) go with the flow and avoid brainstorming. The thing about Ne is that when introduced to a new concept, it quickly builds on what's been given to them and acts to explore the potential of this concept. For instance, when I have to learn a new subject, I have a tendency to delve into it right away. Skim through the entire textbook at once. And then, when I've got to get down to actually studying the work, I cannot for the life of me get down to it. Why? Because I've explored it enough. I've grasped it on a conceptual level. Now, I can move on. I've found that the best way to avoid getting bored too quickly is to juggle many projects / topics at once and to "go with the flow" and takes things one step at a time instead of looking at the bigger picture to get the "gist" of something, and then moving on. Maintaining deep interest in something will probably motivate you to act and to get things done.

Ne is not a draining functions for INXPs, so engage with it. Avoid brainstorming, because by brainstorming you're "exploring potential" and once you're done exploring that potential you're not going to be motivated to act - you're going to move onto a new theoretical topic. This is probably why Ne users tend to say that they're so much better at bullshitting their way through what they write, such as essays, as opposed to coming up with a plan and then following through with it the way Ni users / writers do.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts