Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all you guys are awesome and I think your amazing people but, sometimes its soooo hard for me to talk to you guys. Sometimes my ISTJ friend says that I sugar coat things and I don't even realize it. So please istjs how would you prefer someone to talk to you in a regular conversation, while trying to explain something, or talking about a issue. Thanks!:happy:

·
Registered
234 Posts
Some people tend to speak more factually than others, and in more concrete manners, prefering only subject matters that revolve around objective reality. Whereas I might talk about things that are metaphorical, others prefer to talk of things that either will happen or have happened, they are less abstract in their speech. This creates quite a large communication barrier. From my experience, this has absolutely nothing to do with MBTI.

Two of my best friends are ISTJ and ISFJ, and both of them speak abstractly, prefer metaphorical topics and don't concern themselves much with being concrete. We get along extremely well because of this, because we're interested in the same topics, because we speak the same language. People tend to hold the view that SJs are exclusively the down to earth types that only speak in facts, as if their personality type makes them like robots, and from my experience MBTI types have no correlation as to which side of the language barrier you fall on. If people in your life just don't seem to speak the way you do, or connect with the way you communicate, then it's probably not because you're an NF and they are SJs.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Personally, I love it when people are blunt, don't repeat themselves, and, most importantly, don't bog down what they're trying to say with a plethora of absolutely useless information. Like so...

"I went to the mall the other day, the one of on such and such street, not the one on so and so street, and I went to Macy's to get a pair of boots, but they didn't have the ones I wanted in my size so I went over to Footlocker. Footlocker didn't have the right style, so I headed back to Macy's and found a different pair, and they fit! But my credit card was declined because I forgot to pay them last week, so I had to run over to the bank and do that and when I got back they had sold the last pair of my boots! So I went back to Footlocker, and lo and behold, they had the first pair I wanted in the right size! I just missed them when I looked the first time! Aren't they just the prettiest things!?"

You know what I want to hear?

"I got new boots today. Do you like them?"

·
Banned
2,260 Posts
Personally, I love it when people are blunt, don't repeat themselves, and, most importantly, don't bog down what they're trying to say with a plethora of absolutely useless information. Like so...

"I went to the mall the other day, the one of on such and such street, not the one on so and so street, and I went to Macy's to get a pair of boots, but they didn't have the ones I wanted in my size so I went over to Footlocker. Footlocker didn't have the right style, so I headed back to Macy's and found a different pair, and they fit! But my credit card was declined because I forgot to pay them last week, so I had to run over to the bank and do that and when I got back they had sold the last pair of my boots! So I went back to Footlocker, and lo and behold, they had the first pair I wanted in the right size! I just missed them when I looked the first time! Aren't they just the prettiest things!?"

I think the example you have given is one of extraverted sensing. My mother was an ESTP and would often tell me stories that were similar to your example. My reaction was the same as yours. I just wanted the bottom line without all of the irrelevant details.

·
Registered
796 Posts
I think the example you have given is one of extraverted sensing. My mother was an ESTP and would often tell me stories that were similar to your example. My reaction was the same as yours. I just wanted the bottom line without all of the irrelevant details.
Oddly enough, that was a conversation I had with my mother.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts

Well, this style doesn't bother me as an ISFJ.

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
First of all you guys are awesome and I think your amazing people but, sometimes its soooo hard for me to talk to you guys. Sometimes my ISTJ friend says that I sugar coat things and I don't even realize it. So please istjs how would you prefer someone to talk to you in a regular conversation, while trying to explain something, or talking about a issue. Thanks!:happy:
Just the facts. ma'am.

We communicate to exchange information, so be direct if you have a statement to make.

·
Registered
254 Posts
If you are the type that tends to make a lot of flattering remarks without much substance, then you probably won't be talking to an ISTJ for long. We always suspect flattery and high-flown language.

The simple answer: Find a topic that interests the ISTJ and talk about it directly and succinctly without the fluff.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't be yourself, but excessive "sugar coating" is nauseous to ISTJs.

·
Banned
3,145 Posts
My ISTJ speaks English, and so do I...so we talk to each other in English.

but yeah I know what you mean. I just communicate with him normally and we're fine.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts

Even though I get annoyed when people talk like that, that's how I tell my stories sometimes. I just notice so many damn details!!

·
Registered
992 Posts
Speak what you mean and mean what you speak. (It's easy to say little as what is needed on these I just type more for everyone to understand what I'm saying. What use would it be just to reply a "yes that's it" to anything that needed an exact answer when few know what I mean?)

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
1 - 20 of 27 Posts