Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!I don't mean spotting by site obviously but I was just wondering if you guys could give me some tips on how to tell if someone you know well is a isfp. I have been trying for a while to figure out if my friend is a isfp, infp, or maybe a isfj. So, please tell me some obvious things about isfps! Thanks!:happy:

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
There's not really a quick and easy way to know. You have to know how to look for the patterns. ISFPs (and any other type) can be typed by their speech, thought processes and by going through your knowledge of Jung's Cognitive Functions (Fe, Si, Te, etc...). But I'll keep this as brief as I can.

People who would test as ISFP are Michael Jackson, Kurt Cobain, Marilyn Manson and likely Prince. People will may disagree, but their behavior corresponds to what is accepted in the theory. ISFPs usually are pretty low-octane-seeming individuals. They tend to be softly opinionated and reserved by nature. If they ever impose, it's because they've voluntarily decided to rather than naturally being at that level, like, say, an ENTJ would be. Watch those celebrities and you'll see what I mean.

Introversion pretty much comes through in the extent at which one is engaged with others. Introversion does not mean unsociable, loner, or mean. If your friend seems to control his or her social energy, economizing it (not spending it all in one place), and keeping it within as opposed to being in your face and obvious, then you've got an introvert.

Sensing is like questioning what is apparent to your sight, smell, taste, hearing and touch. Just the same, it is like responding to what is apparent to said senses. It is straightforward and expands as details are gathered. Intuition is more from the psyche and narrows as details are gathered. Intuition users are not quite as straightforward when communicating, for they are not using those 5 senses to grasp their information. They do that later. Talking to a sensor is like thoroughly collecting ideas, trying not to miss anything. Talking to an intuitivist is like distant observation of ideas. It's less present; less concentrated on one thing at a time.

Feeling shows itself in how preoccupied someone can be with how an object's (love, a car, dishes, whatever) meaning is expressed. To thinkers, this is not as sensible as judging an object's usefulness to them and leaving it at that. A feeler will let themselves be noticeably moved (visible mannerisms or physiological movements) by meaning. Random example, their reflection may inspire them or sicken them. It will mean something more than what it's useful for. Thinkers can be moved, but not as fully. They see the cold hard point more often. You probably get the idea.

Perceivers don't try effecting their surroundings unless they feel it's necessary in order to keep their options open. Judgers feel an obligation effect their surroundings and usually need to be managing something (if not schedules or people, then their ideals/what they plan to do with themselves). So perceivers are typically seen as easygoing compared to judgers who seem to have many active preferences.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
In a class room when everyone is sat round a table, the ISFP might be the only one who is not around the table, but is sat at the sides somewhere, still fully joining the discussion. They wouldn't be doing it to be awkward its just their way of doing their own thing passively.

The person who actually sits in those display benches at the super market or catalogue store...

That is the sort of behavior to look out for.

Will update when i think of more

EDIT: The first person to point out things in nature, like a sunset or the moon. Someone who is always commenting on what that object looks like or reminds them of.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I'm just guessing but isn't that when an ISFP express themselves, they tend sound like they are independent from the group? They have a unique personality that doesn't feel the need to blend in but instead distinguish themselves from the rest of the flock? I have an ISFP friend like that.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
If it helps, I know four ISFPs. Appearance wise, one mainly mismatches socks, another dresses more extraordinarily (like I), and the remaining two blend in with the crowd more. What we all have in common is an intimate attentiveness to symbolism. That is, anything from colors and words to Hallmark Cards and unity. Anything with creative meaning and strong sensory stimuli perks up our ears.

Behaviorally, we uphold different virtues. I want to be different and intense. The ISFP that dresses similarly to me desires the same thing, I feel. The sock mismatcher wants to be understanding and artistic. The two that blend in differ a tad. One wants to be supportive and artistic. The other wants to be understanding and peaceful. Our love of meaning and expressiveness can color our decisions, but the ISFP is basically a concrete ad-liberator. You might call an INFP an abstract ad-liberator. Not that we can't be close-minded. We want ourselves to be as beautiful and free as we want to be, and we usually want the same for others.

·
Registered
114 Posts
If it helps, I know four ISFPs. Appearance wise, one mainly mismatches socks, another dresses more extraordinarily (like I), and the remaining two blend in with the crowd more. What we all have in common is an intimate attentiveness to symbolism. That is, anything from colors and words to Hallmark Cards and unity. Anything with creative meaning and strong sensory stimuli perks up our ears.

Behaviorally, we uphold different virtues. I want to be different and intense. The ISFP that dresses similarly to me desires the same thing, I feel. The sock mismatcher wants to be understanding and artistic. The two that blend in differ a tad. One wants to be supportive and artistic. The other wants to be understanding and peaceful. Our love of meaning and expressiveness can color our decisions, but the ISFP is basically a concrete ad-liberator. You might call an INFP an abstract ad-liberator. Not that we can't be close-minded. We want ourselves to be as beautiful and free as we want to be, and we usually want the same for others.
@Le9acyMuse I'm off topic from the original post, but I am beginning to wonder if I may be an ISTP opposed to an ISFP. I took a few tests that said I was ISFP, but I was reading the topic on the ISTP forum "you know your'e an ISTP when..." and it seemed like I could relate to much of the posts. Anyways, you brought up dressing creatively and there have been numerous threads in the ISFP community about individuality in dress, hairstyles, etc. That doesn't describe me at all. I do most everything for utilitarian purposes, opposed to creative ones. I have 6 pairs of the same pants in different colors, 12 identical black t-shirts with a pocket, 2 identical baseball caps: one for working and a clean cap, I carry the same things in my pockets everyday: a multi-tool, a pocket knife, an LED flashlight, a wallet, and a mechanical pencil. I wear boots everywhere for the sole purpose of being able to walk in any sort of terrain. I also buzz my head so I don't have to groom. That part doesn't sound much like an ISFP, yet I play the guitar, draw, and carve things out of wood, which would fit the description of ISFP. You seem to be knowledgeable about Jung's cognitive functions, is there anywhere you could direct me to find my answer: ISFP or ISTP?

·
Registered
477 Posts
@Le9acyMuse I'm off topic from the original post, but I am beginning to wonder if I may be an ISTP opposed to an ISFP. I took a few tests that said I was ISFP, but I was reading the topic on the ISTP forum "you know your'e an ISTP when..." and it seemed like I could relate to much of the posts. Anyways, you brought up dressing creatively and there have been numerous threads in the ISFP community about individuality in dress, hairstyles, etc. That doesn't describe me at all. I do most everything for utilitarian purposes, opposed to creative ones. I have 6 pairs of the same pants in different colors, 12 identical black t-shirts with a pocket, 2 identical baseball caps: one for working and a clean cap, I carry the same things in my pockets everyday: a multi-tool, a pocket knife, an LED flashlight, a wallet, and a mechanical pencil. I wear boots everywhere for the sole purpose of being able to walk in any sort of terrain. I also buzz my head so I don't have to groom. That part doesn't sound much like an ISFP, yet I play the guitar, draw, and carve things out of wood, which would fit the description of ISFP. You seem to be knowledgeable about Jung's cognitive functions, is there anywhere you could direct me to find my answer: ISFP or ISTP?
Haha yes, that is the way to live!

You got your 'uniform' clothes that you wear everywhere except home. All purpose/any occasion shoes. 1 Hoodie to replace them all.
Keys and Pocketknife. Wallet, Cellphone.
I lean more towards 4 sides and back scissors on top - Low maintenance being an absolutely massive factor. I used to go for long hair but then realised you have to comb it and make it not look like shit. Windy days arnt so bad aswell. No combing.

You just get more time to be you when you cut out all the stupid stuff like that i reckon.
Money spend on clothes and shoes for the sake of having a bit of variation makes me sad. And yes i keep those shirts made specifically for 1 day events and are clearly labelled as such! Earth Hour 2006/Canteen day 2011 lol. And wear them regularly!

The only real individuality is that i usually find myself being the only one wearing running shoes and that the blades on my pocket knife as always sharp. I've seen some pretty piss poor blades on pocket knifes before.

·
Registered
71 Posts
You seem to be knowledgeable about Jung's cognitive functions, is there anywhere you could direct me to find my answer: ISFP or ISTP?
I know your question wasn't directed at me but I tend to be borderline on both also, with a bit of INFP at times. The ISTP's dominant function is introverted thinking, and the ISFP's is introverted feeling. So (at least in theory), what determines if you're an ISFP or an ISTP is whether you mostly make decisions based on logical reasons or on how you feel about things. In my case, for this issue as well as many other MBTI-related stuff, my answer tends to be "it depends".

·
Registered
114 Posts
Haha yes, that is the way to live!

You got your 'uniform' clothes that you wear everywhere except home. All purpose/any occasion shoes. 1 Hoodie to replace them all.
Keys and Pocketknife. Wallet, Cellphone.
I lean more towards 4 sides and back scissors on top - Low maintenance being an absolutely massive factor. I used to go for long hair but then realised you have to comb it and make it not look like shit. Windy days arnt so bad aswell. No combing.

You just get more time to be you when you cut out all the stupid stuff like that i reckon.
Money spend on clothes and shoes for the sake of having a bit of variation makes me sad. And yes i keep those shirts made specifically for 1 day events and are clearly labelled as such! Earth Hour 2006/Canteen day 2011 lol. And wear them regularly!

The only real individuality is that i usually find myself being the only one wearing running shoes and that the blades on my pocket knife as always sharp. I've seen some pretty piss poor blades on pocket knifes before.
Exactly...

·
Registered
114 Posts
I know your question wasn't directed at me but I tend to be borderline on both also, with a bit of INFP at times. The ISTP's dominant function is introverted thinking, and the ISFP's is introverted feeling. So (at least in theory), what determines if you're an ISFP or an ISTP is whether you mostly make decisions based on logical reasons or on how you feel about things. In my case, for this issue as well as many other MBTI-related stuff, my answer tends to be "it depends".
Okay. It seemed like I could be either or. I rebuilt an air compressor last week, not very ISFP like. Also, last week somebody said I was sitting in their chair and I retorted immediately: "I didn't see a name on it." It's weird, I am more creative and ISFP like when I'm depressed I noticed and more ISTP like when I'm feeling good.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
@TheMadSwede I'm not very resourceful with having convenient internet sites on hand. Especially for Jungian/MBTI stuff. I just learned through meeting people, observing and comparing, and using my intuition. It'd be simpler if I typed you myself, but I'm not great at doing it through text. You wouldn't happen to have a video up, would you?

I could ask a question or two... Hm... ISTP...ISFP... Generally speaking, what does meaning mean to you? Meaning defined by no-one else but you. How does your idea of meaning present itself to you in your every day life?

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I'm on the ISFP/ISTP border too. I'm a heavy logic user who is driven by my feelings. lol

I relate a lot to the ISTP. Alot of what is said i can relate to in the `you knwo you are an ISTP` thread.

I would say that some of the main difference between me and an ISTP are that I have lots of empathy, and I am often driven by feelings. When I'm making a decision based on my feelings, i often stop and pin my feelings against logic. after I will go with the stronger side.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
I just had exactly the same thought. I had typed myself as an INTP for years but ISTP just fits and the clothing style confirms it. I'd pay attention to that. I have INTP days and INFP days. I can feel the INTP void and I know the death stare. And I can stay a really, really long time in the ISFP dream world. But I can't live in either of those places forever. I can't do what I'm made to do, function with my real talent there. I'm best at fixing things, understanding how things work, making things that work. Experience confirms it.

Also, ISFPs don't own the rights to creativity and art. But their creative processes seem different. I think ISFPs have more of an impulse to produce something totally original and expressive, while me, I need to have something to build on: either some given framework, or assignment, or a desire to make something functional yet beautiful. I may have experienced a few pure creative impulses in my life but I have virtually no ability to bring them to fruition.

·
Rebel without a cause
2,725 Posts
As I understand it ISFPs often get attached to material objects, like favorite cloth piece being a washed-out hoodie that's barley holding together. I for example still use my 20+ years old (got it from my dad, I've been using it for roughly 10-15 years) blue towel with a volvo truck on it, and replacing it with a new is out of the question.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Well, INFPs are more philosophical in their expression and are idealists, ISFPs prefer more direct communication and are more realistic, and ISFJs are more traditional and more organized than an ISFP.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
MBTI and Jungian don't get everything down pat, but in order to be borderline you'd have to be 50/50 on more than just one function. Really, you'd have to be 50/50 with them all.

ISFP Fi Se Ni Te
INFP Fi Ne Si Te

ISTP Ti Se Ni Fe
INTP Ti Ne Si Fe

And so on.

These "percentage" quizzes aren't accurate. Personality can't be quantified. Be sure you understand the cognitive functions. It's possible you do have a leaning. Not saying it's impossible to be borderline, but then, MBTI and Jungian also aren't perfect theories.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
@TheMadSwede I thought I was ISTP for the past 5 months, having a degree in engineering and presently working as a carpenter didn't help either. I related equally well to both descriptions, it wasn't until I read more in depth on Ti and Fi and also the inferior functions Fe and Te that I realized that I related more to ISFP (Fi Se Ni Te) than ISTP (Ti Se Ni Fe). Also, how do you do with criticism and do you treat other peoples feelings gently or are you really blunt and straightforward? I tend to take criticism personally, an Fi thing, and am more caring with peoples feelings than many ISTP's. Also, I don't have extroverted feeling at all, it's a shadow function, I have Te as inferior and I can relate to using Te when I can't use Fi, but I can't relate to using Fe.

Here's a good description of the functions, find your dominant one, see if the inferior makes sense.
ENFP Wiki

Also, read both of these and see which one you relate better to. http://personalitycafe.com/istp-articles/76785-recognizing-inferior-function-istp.html and http://personalitycafe.com/isfp-articles/76773-recognizing-inferior-function-isfps.html It was really me recognizing my inferior function that convinced me, as Ti vs Fi is not simply think vs feel at all, everyone thinks and feels, the names are misleading in a sense.

Here's the forum that I made where the ISTPs convinced me of my Fi dominance. http://personalitycafe.com/istp-forum-mechanics/95763-istps-into-beauty-values.html

--------------------------------
But back to the post...

A good give away is a constant interest and fascination with natural beauty, I'm always really taking in the world around me, I'm in awe of meadows, clouds, sunsets, flowers, trees, etc... I like weather, be it beautiful and sunny, rainy, snowy, it's always a positive thing. Basically focused on beauty and aesthetics in general about everything, this song is beautiful, it feels so amazing, it's so beautiful looking, it smells amazing! I'm always surveying my landscape for things that I value and find in line with my ideal.

I love cats! :kitteh:

My feelings are introverted, so if someone is trying to pull out how I truly feel, if I'm okay, or what's bothering me, it will not come out smoothly if at all when we're talking in real life. Online or text, it's not nearly as bad.

I'm reserved, usually don't get into confrontations and I'm not really loud or outgoing.

I do walk very smoothly and am very in tune with my body, I love sensory experiences and pleasures.

I'm not into theory, I'm very practical and like to learn about doing things in the real world, probably won't find me in a class on number theory or abstract algebra unless I'm almost failing it. I ALWAYS NEED PRACTICAL EXAMPLES to understand concepts and visuals help a ton as well.

I'll feel confident when I'm looking good, but less so if I haven't shaved in days and it's a laundry day.

Hmm... what else, when a good song comes on I'm influenced by it physically, I'll whistle, hum, drum and tap, even sing if I like it a lot and trust you.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
I keep telling people, bring a cat with you. They will come to you like bees to honey.
I sensed cats in this thread so I had to read it! :wink:

Umm.... It's hard to add anything that hasn't already been said. I notice that I'm usually the first one to notice any kind of change. I've also been pretty good at spotting animals that blend into their surrounding (I'd be a damn good hunter if I believed in it). A lot of people claim that ISFPs point out things like this all the time, but I usually keep it to myself unless it's something I find really interesting or it's actually something important.

I don't know if this is an ISFP thing or not... But it seems like everyone comes to me for advice because they know I won't be biased and I won't sugar coat things. And even though I don't sugar coat things, I'm still not mean about it. I suppose I've got a very diplomatic way of dealing with people.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts