Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is only recently that I've discovered socionics and until then, I've thought I would be destined to end up with an INTJ. But now I really want to test out the theories of socionics and see if I can spot ISFPs and notice how I interact with them.

The only problem is I have no clue the little hints that give away sensing types. I know pretty well how to know an iNtuitive type, but I can't just flip it. Oh and try not to just give the generalities like, we're in the here. I don't want that BS, I want key insightful things, such as "Extroverts are typically louder than Introverts when they talk".

Beyond that specific aspect of ISFPs, what are other little nuances that might lead me to properly identify an ISFP?

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
"I don't want that BS.." That made me lol. 'Kay, new guy. Suggestion 1, coming your way. ISFP is a way of interacting with the world. That's really personal, so I don't know an easy way to spot an ISFP in that way. Stereotypes may be the best our humble tribe can offer you. So, besides being in the here lol We...um. Lemme get back to you...

When we're sad, we more often than not have got a gentle defensiveness about us. If we're alone, we look like we're waiting on a sign. Not particularly focused on one thing at a time, unless typical technology like phones, mp3s... But even then, it looks like we're just chilling with nature. I touch stuff a lot. Sometimes I try desperately to feel the air, wind, sunshine, stuff like that. When comfortable, we're uninhibited (do "odd" things). When uncomfortable, we're stiff and almost look puzzled. I think. In groups, look for the one that smiles easily, doesn't say something every chance they get, and who has the softest eyes and cautious confidence. Good chance they're either infp or isfp. We can act like mature children; while reserved, we're not above making dumb/unpredictable faces at you. lol

Enneagrams, unlike personality types, depict behaviors/motivations. We tend to be enneagram types 2, 4, 6, and 9. That should tell you we're frequently intense on the inside and raw on the outside (vibrant to unusual attire and/or subtly distinct). Most of all, isfps are flexible. Some are capricious. Well...get your dragnet and catch one, I guess. Fellow isfps, be obvious.

·
Registered
331 Posts
If an introvert seems like an INFP or ISFP, listen to how easily ideas come out. In art classes the iNtuitives like to brainstorm & see what ideas are out there before starting, while an ISFP will start creating and find meaning later. It gets confusing typing people who slightly prefer sensing or sensors with strong intuition.

·
Banned
14,801 Posts
Um. I wear a lot of flip-flops and hoodies. I like to wander. I am told that whatever I am it is REAL...whether I am mad, sad, glad to see you...it's authentic. I am a very real person and there's no big surprises (I hear this even more from boyfriends who are like "oh okay this is as bad as its going to get") ...I also tend to stay out of people's faces, unless they get in mine, then I'm stabby. I'm very unobtrusive IRL unless someone else starts it. IRL I'm very quiet and to myself and spend a lot of time alone...I can get loud and obnoxious when I'm out having fun, or if I'm pissed off about something.

In the 9th grade I was called a "big loner" and that "everybody knew who I was, but nobody really knew me" whatever that means.

Apparently in person I can be mistaken for ENFP, INFP, ESFP, or INFJ as well.

·
Banned
14,801 Posts
"I don't want that BS.." That made me lol. 'Kay, new guy. Suggestion 1, coming your way. ISFP is a way of interacting with the world. That's really personal, so I don't know an easy way to spot an ISFP in that way. Stereotypes may be the best our humble tribe can offer you. So, besides being in the here lol We...um. Lemme get back to you...

When we're sad, we more often than not have got a gentle defensiveness about us. If we're alone, we look like we're waiting on a sign. Not particularly focused on one thing at a time, unless typical technology like phones, mp3s... But even then, it looks like we're just chilling with nature. I touch stuff a lot. Sometimes I try desperately to feel the air, wind, sunshine, stuff like that. When comfortable, we're uninhibited (do "odd" things). When uncomfortable, we're stiff and almost look puzzled. I think. In groups, look for the one that smiles easily, doesn't say something every chance they get, and who has the softest eyes and cautious confidence. Good chance they're either infp or isfp. We can act like mature children; while reserved, we're not above making dumb/unpredictable faces at you. lol

Enneagrams, unlike personality types, depict behaviors/motivations. We tend to be enneagram types 2, 4, 6, and 9. That should tell you we're frequently intense on the inside and raw on the outside (vibrant to unusual attire and/or subtly distinct). Most of all, isfps are flexible. Some are capricious. Well...get your dragnet and catch one, I guess. Fellow isfps, be obvious.
It does differ by enneagram. I as a 6 am a lot more reactive than a 9, but I have many 9-ish traits.

Also, an ISFP who is a writer is going to post a lot more on the Internet, probably, than an ISFP who is a painter. This is another thing that has occurred to me.

I agree with all of the bolded. :)

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think it is interesting to note that some of the things ISFPs do are very similar to what myself (as an ENTP ) does. For instance, from what I've heard of the steotypes, you guys are supposedly rebellious, hey lookie there, so am I! You guys have an appreciation for art (even though from a different standpoint) and I know ENTPs love art, especially photography, because we can catch beauty on a whim. From what fourtines says about the random "weirdness", I know that I am an active participant.

Maybe I'm just looking for similarities to entertain the notion of socionics relations, but meh. Thanks for what you guys have posted so far. This is more helpful than you guys could imagine.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Ahhh people have already mentioned the stuff that I was going to say.

I'm the quietest kid in my class, and my voice isn't loud when I talk either. Middle school and high school were miserable since everyone just compete with each other about how many friends they have... Hi! I'm a loner! I also like how no one noticed me before I moved away for almost the entire school year. "Where did that girl go? I don't see her in the hallway anymore." Of course, things went back to "normal" when I came back :p.

When I'm with my friends, I'm pretty loud and child-like. I can revert back to the quiet one pretty fast though. After I'm done socializing, I just leave randomly and start doing w/e I want at that moment.

People also call me weird since they don't understand me, like how I can change from a quiet person to a loud one in an instant. I'm also the girl who listens to her iPod whenever she's by herself, even when I'm doing work.

I stay quiet in a group discussion until I get where it's going, but I don't jump in for most of the time lol. Yep, I stay quiet like an awkward person. If that's the case, I usually just tell myself, "I do not belong here." Then I'm off to be a loner again.

When hurt, I usually just keep it to myself and not be very assertive. I can't take jokes very well either...

·
Registered
475 Posts
The ultimate poker face
Basically haha, nobody seems to know what we are thinking...

I'm the quietest kid in my class, and my voice isn't loud when I talk either. Middle school and high school were miserable since everyone just compete with each other about how many friends they have... Hi! I'm a loner! I also like how no one noticed me before I moved away for almost the entire school year. "Where did that girl go? I don't see her in the hallway anymore." Of course, things went back to "normal" when I came back :p.

When I'm with my friends, I'm pretty loud and child-like. I can revert back to the quiet one pretty fast though. After I'm done socializing, I just leave randomly and start doing w/e I want at that moment.

People also call me weird since they don't understand me, like how I can change from a quiet person to a loud one in an instant. I'm also the girl who listens to her iPod whenever she's by herself, even when I'm doing work.

I stay quiet in a group discussion until I get where it's going, but I don't jump in for most of the time lol. Yep, I stay quiet like an awkward person. If that's the case, I usually just tell myself, "I do not belong here." Then I'm off to be a loner again.

When hurt, I usually just keep it to myself and not be very assertive. I can't take jokes very well either...
I'd have to agree with pretty much all of that, well, except the last part. Maybe it's just me and the people I've grown up with, but humour is something that I have absolutely no trouble with, even if mine is a little warped.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I can tell a lot about a person from their eyes. The main difference I see between an S and N (if you're trying to differentiate ISFP and INFP) are the eyes. S's eyes always wonder around the room and look at everything around them (especially outside, maybe it's just me, but it's be hard to concentrate on talking and formulating sentences because there's just so much to look at, like the clouds and the sun on the trees, and feel, like the wind) I've noticed that N's eyes are usually more content looking, straight forward, and as if they're thinking about something complex.
Also, this could be a P thing, but S's tend to get really easily distracted with what's around them and it may be difficult to have a long, serious/concentrated conversation with them.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I can tell a lot about a person from their eyes. The main difference I see between an S and N (if you're trying to differentiate ISFP and INFP) are the eyes. S's eyes always wonder around the room and look at everything around them (especially outside, maybe it's just me, but it's be hard to concentrate on talking and formulating sentences because there's just so much to look at, like the clouds and the sun on the trees, and feel, like the wind) I've noticed that N's eyes are usually more content looking, straight forward, and as if they're thinking about something complex.
Also, this could be a P thing, but S's tend to get really easily distracted with what's around them and it may be difficult to have a long, serious/concentrated conversation with them.

I've been trying to figure that out for the longest time. When I'm with one of my friends (who is an infp) they tend to be concentrated when they talk, and I'm constantly looking around and being distracted by everything. It was always hard to look them in the eyes and talk, or explain something, or even look at them at all without my words wandering off. I'd tend to be so distracted that I wouldn't even know what they just said to me. I always thought that was just me, or I had A.D.D. or something. Thank god I still know I'm an isfp.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think what you guys are referring to is the combination of S and P. The P in me makes me scattered-brained and running up the wall when I have to concentrate, however with NPs I think the difference is that we are thinking of random ideas and possibilities where SPs are absorbed by the things around them, and that is what they find distractions. Perception will be the downfall of us all.

·
Registered
758 Posts
One of my newest friends is an ISFP. INFP and ISFP can come off similar to one another on the onset (sometimes), but here are some of the key differences:

ISFP will wander their eyes all around the room, looking at what is happening, looking at people, looking at objects, absorbing their surroundings-- all of which makes them live-in-the-moment. They put a lot of thought into detail and will produce such detail in their works too. They are also very observant of what they see, which makes them relate a personal experience or feeling to what they see.

INFP will most likely not notice the details of the surroundings as much-- they can walk past something so many times and not notice it's there unless they want to notice it. Whenever an INFP is in the moment, it is usually their ability to look at it through other people's point of view. I notice this in myself a lot-- I usually wonder what this or that person is thinking and feeling toward their surroundings, how does it effect them? In this sense, I'm able to sum up the 'whole', relate it to my personal knowledge/brain-storming if necessary, and give feedback.

ISFPs will be experiential in their environment. They will absorb their environment one experience at a time, in taking the chance to explore it. They're likely to be hands-on, which would mean they'll reach out to people to converse, to acquaint with, and to generally find out things. They will either appear as lone-wolfs (quiet, subtle and silently observant) or they will appear literal in their socializing in that they'll converse with people, engage in activities, be artsy, find a practical project, etc. They're peaceful and fun-loving.

INFPs are also experiential, however they prefer to warm up slowly in order to identify the most appropriate individual or group to associate with at a lengthy basis. They look for deeper connections, but do not mind socializing with anyone, although they will require alone time afterwards. They're more inside their thoughts than are ISFP (generalization, as there are exceptions to this), so they will be spaced out at the point of conversation which is why they'll warm up slowly to people. Once they get talking or involved, they will enjoy exchanging ideas and also listen to other people discuss/debate ideas and what not.

Overall, to spot an ISFP, look out for the above, as well as noticing that underneath the quiet exterior they are experimental and sensory people that love to do things with their hands, love to treasure their personal tastes and preferences, will put a lot of thought into the detail of how they co-ordinate their clothes and anything else that they put interest in, they can be lazy and laid-back almost as if someone can lead the way for them, they'd rather keep something to the point unless they want to know more, give short answers and keep it casual, if close to you they will begin expressing their Fi values and personal reflections, very sensitive to the environment and may get offended easily.

·
Registered
624 Posts
ISFPs are led by their muse. The biggest give away is look for someone who is usually introverted but goes on crazy streaks as the life of the party. Also they have eclectic fasion tastes and can put a lot of time into their appearance, but still go for that slightly off look that screams independance as compared to a more glamoured appearance.

·
Registered
112 Posts

When hurt, I usually just keep it to myself and not be very assertive.
I can't take jokes very well either...
I bolded the parts I can relate to. ;D

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I really want to meet one of you and know you to be what you are. This all sounds intriguing.

ISFp's seem kind of awesome. And wait...

Does the infamous ENTP charm work on you guys?

·
Registered
174 Posts
One of my good friends is an ENTP. We have a lot of good times together. I always thought he would make a great psychologist too.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts