Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
On my path to my, well, "enlightenment" I guess, I thought I let go of many of my insecurities.

Subsequently I realized something is VERY wrong. I have a terrible habit of acting dumb. Sometimes on PerC, sometimes in real life around my peers. I sometimes put on a whole fake show of being dumb-ish and naive. I'll use smaller words instead of big ones I am capable of using, purposely act like I don't get certain concepts, and more irritating things. This bugs me because not only do I like to NOT think of myself as "dumb" per se (because I am FAR from it), I don't like being TREATED as such either.

Can you help me? (I know that's ironic because if I think I'm smart with more potential and I just asked YOU a question about answering MY question so that means I would be dumber than I just acted by asking you this)

^Or at least that's how I think....

·
QUEEN PEEN
9,303 Posts
I've been there before. Being fun and light-hearted can often come off as acting dumb. It's okay to get stupid sometimes ;D Just don't let the attention you get from it take over your life. Make sure you do stay true to yourself and show other parts of yourself to your friends as well. You are smarter and deeper than that particular part of you portrays you to be. That's how I see it at least. The goal is balance ;)

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it, honestly. You will strike a balance, but if it's a little uneven along the way, don't fret! You'll get there. I've learned that it comes with age as well, so be yourself and have a good time. Experience will take care of the rest. ^-^ Those people will see one day how much depth you have and will be dumbstruck by it. You don't have to prove it to them!

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
Simple: just start wearing glasses(NOT hispter glasses)and everyone will see you as smart-it worked for me!

but aha to be serious now
don't worry about using big words on the internet aslong as you know how to spell them, lest you be pilloried by Gramar Not-c's.

it was kind of easy for me to show my smart side amongst my comrades because they're a reall smart bunch, and even so it was fun to sometimes pretend to be dumb but i'd usually do it so over the top it was obvious like saying "what r u trying 2 say" after simple assertions.

In the school the general populace tended to see me as smart because i was always eager to particapate in class discussion and anwser quiestions.

And you know the cliches be yourself and if you can't be yourself around them and blah blah blah

·
Registered
697 Posts
On my path to my, well, "enlightenment" I guess, I thought I let go of many of my insecurities.

Subsequently I realized something is VERY wrong. I have a terrible habit of acting dumb. Sometimes on PerC, sometimes in real life around my peers. I sometimes put on a whole fake show of being dumb-ish and naive. I'll use smaller words instead of big ones I am capable of using, purposely act like I don't get certain concepts, and more irritating things. This bugs me because not only do I like to NOT think of myself as "dumb" per se (because I am FAR from it), I don't like being TREATED as such either.

Can you help me? (I know that's ironic because if I think I'm smart with more potential and I just asked YOU a question about answering MY question so that means I would be dumber than I just acted by asking you this)

^Or at least that's how I think....
This will probably come off as easier said than done, but it really doesn't matter if people think you're dumb. It only matters that you know you're smart. This is easy for me to act accordingly on because I naturally don't give a damn what other people think if it doesn't augment performance/progression or contribute a concrete solution to a concrete problem. However, as I understand it, caring about other people is sort of an ENFP thing.

If others don't embrace you as a person and open up to traits you have that don't seem so apparent at first glance, then that's on them; not you.

Addressing the above in bold, that's not really being dumb; it's being efficient. It's also appealing to people with a more limited vocabulary, effectively giving them someone to talk to rather than talk with. Some people like to get wordy to try and impress others with their intelligence (a term I'm using loosely because vocabulary isn't necessarily intelligence), and they just end up looking stupid.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This will probably come off as easier said than done, but it really doesn't matter if people think you're dumb. It only matters that you know you're smart. This is easy for me to act accordingly on because I naturally don't give a damn what other people think if it doesn't augment performance/progression or contribute a concrete solution to a concrete problem. However, as I understand it, caring about other people is sort of an ENFP thing.

If others don't embrace you as a person and open up to traits you have that don't seem so apparent at first glance, then that's on them; not you.

Addressing the above in bold, that's not really being dumb; it's being efficient. It's also appealing to people with a more limited vocabulary, effectively giving them someone to talk to rather than talk with. Some people like to get wordy to try and impress others with their intelligence (a term I'm using loosely because vocabulary isn't necessarily intelligence), and they just end up looking stupid.
OK, lol thanks! :)

·
Registered
770 Posts
Using big words isn't very pragmatic in most situations, socially speaking. I sort of do what you're describing until I get a sense of how intelligent the person I'm talking to is. There is nothing wrong with adjusting your language to relate to someone on their level so he or she will feel more comfortable opening up to you. These days I rarely use SAT words. Why muddy up the conversation making it harder for someone to understand you when you can express yourself in simpler terms? :p

Remember, you don't need to impress anyone unless you're at a special job interview. Be you, letting those around you feel the full weight of who you are. Let them deal with their own reactions to you and don't sweat it. :)

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
It's the curse of the extroverted NF. Don't worry too much about it. Most of the time, the "stupid" persona only comes across on a first-impression basis. After anyone takes any amount of time to get to know you, either voluntarily or through necessity, they'll figure out that you're not as dumb as you seemed at first.

It worries me most in workplace situations. I always find that initially, I'm excited to get going, try new things, and I get enthused, and come across as very bubbly and light-hearted, which almost always translates as less-than-intelligent. At the first sign of serious business, though, it all falls away and I get shit done. XD

Again, really, don't worry too much about it, be yourself, and the rest just kind of falls into place. You'll figure out the best times to act either happy-go-lucky or more down-to-earth, and people will come to appreciate both facets of your personally equally. :D

·
Banned
78 Posts
I hear you.. I think I do the same. I sometimes even act like a child (or like I'm retarder) having fun outside. Then a stranger passes by and gives me the weirdest look and I'm sure he thinks I have down syndrome or something and would be really surprised to find out that I have a master's degree...

Unlike my smart S friends I'm not good at sounding smart and sophisticated. I still have a very childish vocabulary and I don't use all the academic learned vocabulary if you know what I mean? I was always suprised when I got the same grade as them or even better, because they come across as so smart and controlled, whereas I think people see me as a big child :p When I try to be serious and "smart" I feel like I'm acting, and a bubbly child is giggling inside my tummy.. Like yesterday when I was in a meeting with only ISTJs... I tried not to joke or be fun like I want to, I stayed serious, didn't even smile much and tried to be serious smart and use short to-the-point sentences. SO out-of-caracter!! :p

My INTJ boyfriend finds my silly child-like bubbly side very cute, so when we are out walking I jump all over the place and have a lot of fun, and then strangers walk by and I am really embarrassed but at the same time I laugh afterwards because I think that they probably thought I was a retarder girl who was being walked by my care-taker :p Omg...

Oh, and about other people seeing you as dumb: ignore them :D I got some mean comments on some of my giggly childish status upates on facebook from rigid boring people, but I decided well if they don't like me: oh well. :) Can't make everyone happy ;)
Keep being yourself, you are probably very smart! And try to ignore them and up your self-asteem :proud:

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Some people like to get wordy to try and impress others with their intelligence (a term I'm using loosely because vocabulary isn't necessarily intelligence), and they just end up looking stupid.
Oh and PS... I wasn't aware that I was, (if you meant that indirectly to me) lol...

·
Registered
109 Posts
This is kinda funny reminded me that I'm always merging words together sometimes when my mouth moves faster than my mind. Like the other day I said I wanted to go see my "prescriptionist" instead of pharmacist. lol But it's fine! You are most likely trying to use a smaller vocab and all that because you believe that by doing so you are relating to the people around you more which isn't a bad thing not everyone can relate to people on that level. Just make sure you stay true to what your values are and you'll be fine!

·
Banned
17,781 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it, honestly. You will strike a balance, but if it's a little uneven along the way, don't fret! You'll get there. I've learned that it comes with age as well, so be yourself and have a good time. Experience will take care of the rest. ^-^ Those people will see one day how much depth you have and will be dumbstruck by it. You don't have to prove it to them!
this post is SO true. young ENFPs are a zany, untamed tangle of random Ne craziness, but as we age and develop Te and Si, we can learn to become more "grounded" and gain control over our awesome powers of intuition

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Oh really? Hasn't really happened to me yet, at the age of 27 :p
Make an effort then ;-) I think I've improved my Te at this age, I was a typical dumb when I was younger. Even now, I sometimes tend to do things which are really stupid and dumb from my part, but age and experience will make it better. I believe. :)

Reactions: BuddhistENFP

·
Banned
78 Posts
Make an effort then ;-) I think I've improved my Te at this age, I was a typical dumb when I was younger. Even now, I sometimes tend to do things which are really stupid and dumb from my part, but age and experience will make it better. I believe. :)
Hehe, it's not too big of a problem really ;P

1 - 20 of 25 Posts