Discussion Starter #1
Happy Holiday Season!

how to stop waiting for something to happen and take charge of your life:

·
Registered
473 Posts
Happy Holiday Season!

how to stop waiting for something to happen and take charge of your life
All the video seems to do is to state truisms, such as that it is okay for people to try and reach for their dreams by way of trial and error. Furthermore, it does so in a rhetorical way that gives these truisms the appearance of being profound. If you get motivated by watching the video, it's probably just because your emotions are being manipulated, as opposed to because you learnt something that you didn't know previously.

It doesn't help that the video features random Biblical tangents and philosophical name-dropping. This only adds to the pernicious nature of the rhetoric.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All the video seems to do is to state truisms, such as that it is okay for people to try and reach for their dreams by way of trial and error. Furthermore, it does so in a rhetorical way that gives these truisms the appearance of being profound. If you get motivated by watching the video, it's probably just because your emotions are being manipulated, as opposed to because you learnt something that you didn't know previously.

It doesn't help that the video features random Biblical tangents and philosophical name-dropping. This only adds to the pernicious nature of the rhetoric.
All this posts seems to do is state truisms disguised as somehow an attempt at intellectual discourse. It is a motivational video and emotions are needed for motivation. Thank you for stating the obvious. If you were looking for knowledge you need to go watch a documentary or read a book.

·
Registered
473 Posts
All this posts seems to do is state truisms disguised as somehow an attempt at intellectual discourse. It is a motivational video and emotions are needed for motivation. Thank you for stating the obvious. If you were looking for knowledge you need to go watch a documentary or read a book.
So you agree with me. Good.

·
Registered
345 Posts
You basically just summed up 99% of motivational speeches.

·
exploring space
ENFP
9,464 Posts

I agree, but to be fair this video is from a lecture of his analyzing the Biblical symbols.

·
Registered
185 Posts
If home is where I make it (inside of me) and I'm rotting away (getting older, aging, and then eventually dying), then I can't slow down the inevitability of my rot, no matter what I do or how I try to escape. I can spray a cheap cologne on my skin to mask the decay, reconfigure my face with plastic surgery, numb my complexes with drugs, get involved in the artificial drama of relationships, and so on, but underneath all my desperate attempts at remaining youthful, at pretending to have some semblance of control, I am left only with myself.

Merry Christmas!

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
All the video seems to do is to state truisms, such as that it is okay for people to try and reach for their dreams by way of trial and error. Furthermore, it does so in a rhetorical way that gives these truisms the appearance of being profound.
Jordan Peterson in a nutshell. A philosopher for soccer moms.

·
Registered
473 Posts
A second-rate philosopher indeed. Some people in the thread have construed the video as presenting a 'motivational speech', but I don't get that impression. If you asked him if that was what he thought he was doing, I get a strong feeling that he would deny it. He almost certainly believes that he is conveying non-trivial information, or at least wishes to give people that idea. Such intellectual dishonesty is pernicious.

·
Not a Robot
2,150 Posts
What's really sad is, I read this and immediately thought, "Who's Jordan Peterson? Never heard of that guy."

Shows how much I got out of the video, though in fairness, I only got to the 46 second mark.

·
EvilShoutyRudolph
5,099 Posts
My plan is to continue rotting away at home until I have compost.
Well I plan on not just rotting, but I'm also going to force everyone I know to rot with me(even if it means kidnapping them, using a baseball bat to knock them out, and tying them up and locking them in my grandparents basement(cause I live in an apartment)) . :cool:

Reactions: Sava Saevus

·
Premium Member
I thimk INTP
14,599 Posts
Well I plan on not just rotting, but I'm also going to force everyone I know to rot with me(even if it means kidnapping them, using a baseball bat to knock them out, and tying them up and locking them in my grandparents basement(cause I live in an apartment)) . :cool:
Good luck with that. Now that you've warned them I think they're gonna get away. If I can thimk of a new plan I'll let you know.

·
EvilShoutyRudolph
5,099 Posts
Good luck with that. Now that you've warned them I think they're gonna get away. If I can thimk of a new plan I'll let you know.
Ha, they don't know anything about it! And even if they did, they would never believe I meant it literally!

·
Registered
73 Posts
@OneMind

The thing is. Spending your life in the intellectual stratosphere wiping the floor with lesser academic riff-raff, however impressive that may be, is in the end useless if that is all one does. And insofar I am able to judge the academic prowess of dr. Peterson, he runs circles around most of his peers. Academic research should not be and end unto itself, but a way for society to keep improving upon itself.... all of society, not only top 5% by intellect.

I think dr. Peterson is an encredible force of good, by being a 'soccer mom's philosopher'. Making philosophy accessable and understandable for the common man, which he does extremely well judging by his youtube success, is very important. And no small feat at all. Not everyone is gifted with the intellect to tackle these sort of subjects at even a moderate level, or indeed has the ability and/or awareness to check the moral compass once in a while. Those people need bite-sized chunks of wisdom/advice, or whatever one might wish to call it. And sometimes it even needs to be forced down people's throats.

Reversly, a lot of academics can't, won't or don't translate their work and findings down to a level where it becomes accessable to most people. Dr. Peterson is a clinical psychiatrist by practise, and as such talks about things from a very practical point of view. Which is exactly the reason why he resonates with a lot of people. It -is- practical.

*edit*: of course it will inevitably end up in a lot of truisms, open doors etc. But being human, as we are, we often fail to see the obvious or outright learn from the simple things. So who is right?

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Jordan Peterson said I should have good hygiene and move out of my parents house. WOKE

BUT DUDE JORDAN PETERSON DA MAN JP SAID IT IM SO MOTIVATED!!!

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
I love how perfectly this one line description captures my feelings towards him. His videos keep popping up on PerC. I must have seen the beginning of a couple of them before I developed subconscious intolerance that I never bothered putting into words. Thank you for finding the right words for me!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts