Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I am having a bit of trouble imagining what is the difference between Intuitive and Sensor types in every day life. I figured I'd ask here for some examples you've seen between others that outline that difference for me. I've researched, but I admit I just can't picture much definitively.

What I've gathered is this, Intuitives assume a lot correctly, and Sensors have all the facts. But you see, this is way too simple, I feel.

Help?

·
Registered
ISTJ
1,561 Posts
Well, from my experience, they say intuitives tend to look around a lot and sensors tend to maintain eye contact, when talking . Also, intuitives tend to zone out and get lost in their thoughts often (scatterbrained?). Not sure if any of this can actually be proven though.

·
Registered
10,163 Posts
NFS seem pretty easy to spot, they often are talking about how they like to talk about ideas. :laughing: often I find if they find another NF they can get lost in just talking about their joy of talking about ideas. Usually though, they are often speaking about what would be ideal (not realistic).

NTs seem to have the ability to express possibilities concretely. Whether it's explaining an invention or a possible side effect.

SPs to me can often be societies: gypsies, traveling circus performers, mercenaries, etc for sake of expression or comparisons.

SJs usually do all come off as having an emphasis on maintaining pillars and stabilizing.

·
Registered
ENTJ; 8w7; Persian C
9,469 Posts
Get to know the specimen(s) at hand. The average specimen should indulge in at least, 30-mintues of routine convsersation stimulus, nonsensical joke-telling and/or considerately exuberating high-functioning sarcasm/pessimistic wit to surrounding specimens to make [the day] a tad more tolerable.

Intuitive / sensor specimen(s) should respond accordingly to distinctive types of said stimulus. The first specimen to (laugh) at your eccentric sarcasm is an intuitive-humanoid; the specimen to laugh at strange facial-expression you make when you tell a joke, is a sensing humanoid. Afterward, you can ask them to join you at a nice Vegan™ bar for deliciously-dangerous hummus.

Easy-typology method(s) ::

Make another human smile.

Glad to assist.

Com.

·
Banned
21,040 Posts
you can sometimes make a decent guess what type a person is just by observing him, eg:

1. where you meet him...types tend to congregate at distinctly different places, night clubs, the beach, a library, etc

2. how he is dressed/his grooming?...extroverts and judging types tend to be more fastidious about their appearance and look more put together...perceiving types often have a more carefree appearance, especially in their hair style...extroverts and esfps especially tend to be trendy in dress and grooming

3. who he is with?...is he with other people or alone?...if with others, is he animated, the leader of the group or more reserved?...what do the other people look like, what is their dress, grooming, appearance?

4. what he is carrying?...books, carry bags, backpack, other attachments?...are they fashionable, status conscious, utilitarian?...like his dress and appearance these can help you narrow his type

5. what does he look like?...facial expressions can sometimes tell you his type...sps, for example, often have a characteristic firmness in their expressions, especially in the set of the mouth and jaw...winston churchill had this in almost an exaggerated degree...so does donald trump...with most sps, it isn't as prominent but is still often detectable...introverts often have a reserved mien with eyes that appear cautious and withdrawn, like the personality...extroverts, in contrast, often have expressions that are animated and alive, with eyes that are alert and set forward...it's better to judge facial expression when people are alone but glancing about their environment

6. does he look like a genius, like einstein?...that's easy: he's an intp

;)

these are just some of the things you can look for, but you get the idea...a person's personality is normally reflected in his appearance...put your sherlock hat on and start sleuthing!

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
I usually get a sense of whether someone is Sensing and Intuitive by talking to them and noticing their conversational style. But I don't really know how to explain it in words... its just an impression I get. Intuitives seem to draw from an "underground" source of ideas when they talk, and often say unusual things that you've never really heard before. Sensors just talk about what's already there, what's already agreed-upon reality.

Also, I get a different feeling personally talking to Intuitives and Sensors. When talking to Intuitives, I just express my ideas and they usually follow up with another idea and the conversation just goes from there, very naturally. When I mention some kind of abstract idea, they seem "hooked".
When talking to Sensors, they often will make concrete comments in response to my ideas that don't really move the conversation along (from my perspective, anyway). Often I feel like I talk and they don't even hear me at all. It can make me very self-conscious and even embarrassed in some cases.

Often I get a big "........" from SPs when I talk about abstract ideas, and SJs will naturally try to engage more, but often they'll mention something that my idea reminded them of, but that's not actually a comment on the actual idea.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I usually get a sense of whether someone is Sensing and Intuitive by talking to them and noticing their conversational style. But I don't really know how to explain it in words... its just an impression I get. Intuitives seem to draw from an "underground" source of ideas when they talk, and often say unusual things that you've never really heard before. Sensors just talk about what's already there, what's already agreed-upon reality.

Also, I get a different feeling personally talking to Intuitives and Sensors. When talking to Intuitives, I just express my ideas and they usually follow up with another idea and the conversation just goes from there, very naturally. When I mention some kind of abstract idea, they seem "hooked".
When talking to Sensors, they often will make concrete comments in response to my ideas that don't really move the conversation along (from my perspective, anyway). Often I feel like I talk and they don't even hear me at all. It can make me very self-conscious and even embarrassed in some cases.

Often I get a big "........" from SPs when I talk about abstract ideas, and SJs will naturally try to engage more, but often they'll mention something that my idea reminded them of, but that's not actually a comment on the actual idea.
This is something I'm familiar with. I have noticed there are two types of persons, the ones that are very wide-eyed, and the ones that are very down-to-earth. Intuitives and Sensors, respectively.

·
Banned
5,331 Posts
Sensors only see the tiny little miniscule picture, they only see like the itty bitty grains of sand they don't see the beach.

They like to talk about gossip and then they get all nostalgic about times they used to talk about gossip with their friends.

They oppose new ideas and stick to traditions and the past 100%, impossible to budge them, even in the face of all logic they will definitely, absolutely, positively swear that the Earth is flat because that's what the first people thought which means that's history, that's the truth, that's as far back as reality goes.

They enjoy being salt of the earth people, real down and dirty, they always prefer to be tradies and like doing plumbing.. or fixing my car.

They enjoy classic rock exclusively, they vehemently deny all other music as possibilities.

They are easily brain washed, if you say something to them twice it becomes precedent - authority - a guiding light. This is because they denied it the first time as it was new but the second time, well now it has a reference point and is the truth.

They like kicking footballs and have no thoughts in their head.
They like watching reality tv shows.

They partake in "small talk" and think it's important, they like discussing the weather.

If you mention something intangible they shutdown, doesn't compute, literally collapse on the floor and have a meltdown trying to find a connection to something "real".

They legitimately have a ground cable in their back that must always be touching metal otherwise they feel their head is in the clouds.

They don't see hidden agendas or hidden meaning in anything they take the world at face value, they believe everything they're told, they like to pump weights and slap each other with towels in the gym, they like it when they stub their toe because it's real and legit and proves how human they are, they like mundane things like discussing how they're going to vacuum the lounge.

I'm right, aren't I sensors?
No?

Let me try again.

I'm right, aren't I sensors?
There we go. Much better.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
LOL @Turi. Good stuff.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Why aren't you getting all butthurt for them?
NF types love getting butthurt for other people.

I need to do more research.
This makes no sense.
I might be xNTP, or maybe something else entirely; who really knows about the actual validity to any of this theory. I'm not particalulary sensitive at all though.

Reactions: Turi

·
Banned
601 Posts
Interesting topic. When I am observing/analyzing others in an external environment, like another INFJ said before me, I tend to notice patterns in their speech. But if I were to put my impressions into a classification outlining how to spot an intuitive, here are some examples. I also would like @Turi's opinion on this.

General Dichotomy:

Introversion/Extroversion: Perhaps the easiest to decide. Are they alone, socially withdrawn, keep to themselves and shy? Chances are they are introverts. Are they loud, in a group of friends, speak before they think, overly enthusiastic, brimming with energy? Then you have found an extrovert.

Intuitive/Sensing: It has been in my observations, intuitives tend to use metaphors (more specifically NF temperament), have a very floral vocabulary, always curious and wanting to know to more, prone to zoning out and overthinking. Sensors I see as simple. Here is a practical application: Ask a random person who you suspect to be intuitive something relative to the "big picture" such as time, the world, where one pattern leads on to another, items like those or a general philosophy question. If he responds rather enthusiastically, then you can be certain he is one, if not then you found another sensor.

Thinking/Feeling: This one is rather simple as well. Thinkers tend to have a stoic "feel" to them, and can manage their facial expressions rather well. A feeler would tend to change the topic into something relating to how they or you feel about the aforementioned topic.

Judging/Perceiving: To this day, this classification has been difficult for me to perceive. A judging person would likely be organized, punctual, on time, very "switched" on. A perceiving user would likely be late, abhor the idea of order, scatterbrained. I do have a rather interesting theory in the sense that if I were to ask the idea of what the person would prefer in terms of order and chaos, a P user would say chaos, a J would prefer order. I have to test that theory out someday..
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have been trying to judge people by their dominant functions lately. I find that has the most impact rather than what written above, although I use it in conjunction.

Functional stack essences:

Is the person relying on past memories too much, in the sense that those dominates his/her life? Si-Ne axis.
Is the person making random leaps that make perfect sense and connects ideas together linearly? Ni-Se axis. (The last bit was Te.)
Is the person making random leaps that explores possibilities but bounce around the essence of the idea? Ne-Si axis.
Is the person concerned with your feelings/feelings of others? Fe-Ti axis.
Does the person have an internal framework of values/ethics that he never violates? Fi-Te axis.
Is the person good at planning and organizing the external enviroment? Te-Fi axis.
Is the person occupied with what his happening at the present time, seems overly energetic? Se-Ni axis.
Does the person reference facts that make are logically sound and proven by other stated already facts? Ti-Fe axis. (Last bit was Si as well).

It also has been my impression that in accordance to what their dominant function is, they would be fond of using words that appeal to said dominant function. For instance: An Ni user would be really fond of future-orientated responses in the form of: "In the long term, etc".

A Ti (Internal Thinker) orientated user will ALWAYS have Fe (External Feeling) in their stack.
A Te (External Thinker) orientated user will ALWAYS have Fi (Internal Feeling) in their stack.
A Si (Internal Sensor) orientated user will ALWAYS have Ne (External Intuition) in their stack.
A Se (External Sensor) orientated user will ALWAYS have Ni (Internal Intuition) in their stack.
A Fi (Internal Feeler) orientated user will ALWAYS have Te (External Thinking) in their stack.
A Fe (External Feeler) orientated user will ALWAYS have Ti (Internal Thinking) in their stack.
A Ni (Internal Intuition) orientated user will ALWAYS have Se (External Sensing) in their stack.
A Ne (External Intuition) orientated user will ALWAYS have Si (Internal Sensing) in their stack.

An extroverted persons stack would appear like this: External function - Internal function - External function - Internal function.
An introverted persons stack would appear like this: Internal function - External function - Internal function - External function.

Then just modify the above axes in fit them into the extroverted/introverted person stack as described above.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now while I do recognize a person is a dynamic creature, and not necessarily fit the above stereotypes that I posted, in essence, about 70-80% would appear to be categorized with what is written above.

Side-note: I just realized something.. I had a dream about writing this post...deja vu indeed.

Reactions: JLCR

·
Banned
21,040 Posts
here's an example of N vs S irl, specifically Ne vs Se

I was talking to an istp about beauty and I asked, "why are some faces beautiful?"....he thought about it and said, "some faces are rare, like unusual eye hair colors, so they are more highly valued"....I thought about it and said, "I think it's cuz of the symmetry in the facial parts, their shape and position"

you can see his answer relied on what he could see, the colors of the eyes, hair, etc, and he compared beautiful faces to less attractive faces, all very concrete Se perceptions

I, otoh, didn't bother noting concrete details or comparing one face to another...I just thought about a face and abstracted the qualities I thought make some beautiful, like symmetry, proportions, and relative position, etc

that's Se direct, concrete perception vs Ne indirect, abstract perception:

Se sees what can be seen with the five senses

Ne sees what can't be seen with the senses

in this case, my Ne compared a real face with the geometric objects and noticed its similarities...his Se compared real faces

note: science has studied this and concluded the perception of beauty is the result of symmetry and the geometric properties of faces...so this is an example of where intuitive perception got closer to the truth than sensory perception

·
Registered
400 Posts
Generally speaking, I find sensors not interested in discussing anything that's not real to them, and what's real to them are concrete things in their environment - what they can see, hear, taste, smell and touch. I also quote my ISFJ-friend who said "Intuition is useless". She doesn't trust it at all.

Intuitive types are more willing and able to entertain abstract ideas, or wild ideas (I call them).

Some sensor types may entertain such conversations but they won't do a marathon with you.

·
Premium Member
6,856 Posts
SJs usually do all come off as having an emphasis on maintaining pillars and stabilizing.
I, too, often talk about pillars and stability.

Reactions: Sensational

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Interesting topic. When I am observing/analyzing others in an external environment, like another INFJ said before me, I tend to notice patterns in their speech. But if I were to put my impressions into a classification outlining how to spot an intuitive, here are some examples. I also would like @Turi's opinion on this.

General Dichotomy:

Introversion/Extroversion: Perhaps the easiest to decide. Are they alone, socially withdrawn, keep to themselves and shy? Chances are they are introverts. Are they loud, in a group of friends, speak before they think, overly enthusiastic, brimming with energy? Then you have found an extrovert.

Intuitive/Sensing: It has been in my observations, intuitives tend to use metaphors (more specifically NF temperament), have a very floral vocabulary, always curious and wanting to know to more, prone to zoning out and overthinking. Sensors I see as simple. Here is a practical application: Ask a random person who you suspect to be intuitive something relative to the "big picture" such as time, the world, where one pattern leads on to another, items like those or a general philosophy question. If he responds rather enthusiastically, then you can be certain he is one, if not then you found another sensor.

Thinking/Feeling: This one is rather simple as well. Thinkers tend to have a stoic "feel" to them, and can manage their facial expressions rather well. A feeler would tend to change the topic into something relating to how they or you feel about the aforementioned topic.

Judging/Perceiving: To this day, this classification has been difficult for me to perceive. A judging person would likely be organized, punctual, on time, very "switched" on. A perceiving user would likely be late, abhor the idea of order, scatterbrained. I do have a rather interesting theory in the sense that if I were to ask the idea of what the person would prefer in terms of order and chaos, a P user would say chaos, a J would prefer order. I have to test that theory out someday..
I have been trying to judge people by their dominant functions lately. I find that has the most impact rather than what written above, although I use it in conjunction.

Functional stack essences:

Is the person relying on past memories too much, in the sense that those dominates his/her life? Si-Ne axis.
Is the person making random leaps that make perfect sense and connects ideas together linearly? Ni-Se axis. (The last bit was Te.)
Is the person making random leaps that explores possibilities but bounce around the essence of the idea? Ne-Si axis.
Is the person concerned with your feelings/feelings of others? Fe-Ti axis.
Does the person have an internal framework of values/ethics that he never violates? Fi-Te axis.
Is the person good at planning and organizing the external enviroment? Te-Fi axis.
Is the person occupied with what his happening at the present time, seems overly energetic? Se-Ni axis.
Does the person reference facts that make are logically sound and proven by other stated already facts? Ti-Fe axis. (Last bit was Si as well).

It also has been my impression that in accordance to what their dominant function is, they would be fond of using words that appeal to said dominant function. For instance: An Ni user would be really fond of future-orientated responses in the form of: "In the long term, etc".

A Ti (Internal Thinker) orientated user will ALWAYS have Fe (External Feeling) in their stack.
A Te (External Thinker) orientated user will ALWAYS have Fi (Internal Feeling) in their stack.
A Si (Internal Sensor) orientated user will ALWAYS have Ne (External Intuition) in their stack.
A Se (External Sensor) orientated user will ALWAYS have Ni (Internal Intuition) in their stack.
A Fi (Internal Feeler) orientated user will ALWAYS have Te (External Thinking) in their stack.
A Fe (External Feeler) orientated user will ALWAYS have Ti (Internal Thinking) in their stack.
A Ni (Internal Intuition) orientated user will ALWAYS have Se (External Sensing) in their stack.
A Ne (External Intuition) orientated user will ALWAYS have Si (Internal Sensing) in their stack.

An extroverted persons stack would appear like this: External function - Internal function - External function - Internal function.
An introverted persons stack would appear like this: Internal function - External function - Internal function - External function.

Then just modify the above axes in fit them into the extroverted/introverted person stack as described above.
Now while I do recognize a person is a dynamic creature, and not necessarily fit the above stereotypes that I posted, in essence, about 70-80% would appear to be categorized with what is written above.

Side-note: I just realized something.. I had a dream about writing this post...deja vu indeed.
Ah, this was very nicely written! I have a clear picture of everything now. Thank you.

And isn't deja vu so strange? Yesterday I sat on a chair, thinking about a dream I had, then today I did the same with the same dream, but it was like, "WHOOOAAAA, what a ride." It was so strange, it's like your head starts spinning and you have 10 seconds of free future-seeing. My dog walked in seconds later and yawned, but I knew she was gonna do that. I wonder why that happens. I swear all that has happened to me before.

Anyway, thanks so much again, I was just unsure if I'd been typed correctly in the N/S area, since I didn't understand them too well and all the questions about them were asking things like, "Do you get lost in nature? Do you like art?" So I wasn't sure, can't sensors like art too? Haha. Anyway, I'm Intuitive for sure, though.

·
Registered
ISTJ
1,561 Posts
Hmm...eh...I don't know. I'm not sure if the common notion that sensors won't really be interested in abstract concepts prove true or not. Also, as far as future thinking, this seems to be a trait in opportunistic people. As in if you are opportunistic, you're thinking of taking that risk to get to the better outcome in the future. However, it can't really appropriately be applied that sensors aren't also opportunistic. They definitely can arrive at that conclusion, but in the sensor way. So, I'm still pretty much not convinced whether you can tell a sensor apart from an intuitive using behavior as a guide. If they both come to the same outcome, that's all you see. You don't get to see the exact process that went on in their mind. I don't think we can use behavior to answer the opening question. There are just too many exceptions to the common notions and stereotypes.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts