Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know they have the same functions.
They both use Ni, Se, Fi and Te.

I want to know which one I truly am and that's why I'm asking this question.

What is the difference between a real INTJ, and an ISFP in Fi-Ni loop or Te grip?

How about a real ISFP, and an INTJ in Ni-Fi loop or Se grip?

As an example, How can I know if I'm a real INTJ, or an ISFP in Fi-Ni loop?

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
It can be hard to know for sure, especially as people develop other functions later in their life. An INTJ of 40+ will come off completely differently from an INTJ of 18-24 (let alone those under 18). I'd advise to try and think back at earlier in your life and see how your personality has developed over time.

One real decider might be if you're always taking the time to truly listen to someone else. Fi-dominants tend to listen intently to people they trust. It's less with ISFP's compared to INFP's, but it's still a big effect. INTJ's on the other hand are quick to decide if someone is worth listening to.

One difference I've noticed between ISFP's in the grip and INTJ's is that INTJ's tend to draw diagrams and such while planning. ISFP's can learn that, but it's not natural. ISFP's try to puzzle everything out in their heads and then get stressed if they can't oversee all of the information that's present (the secret is that others also can't, but they have enough experience to take some short-cuts).

ISFP vs INTJ in a loop can be hard to pin down by behaviour (as is everything about type of course). I think it has to do with how far into the future seems like a normal amount to look. ISFP's visualize the future, but often get uncomfortable thinking more than a few years ahead. INTJ's in an Ni-Fi loop can easily look ahead twenty years, maybe even over a hundred years and feel like it's a worthwile activity.

Hope any of that helps.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
It all boils down to Ni usage and Te.
If you're a heavy Ni user (means you always attach meaning to things almost immediately, envision things that may not have happened or may happen sometimes in the future, etc..) and routinely plan your way of doing things, then you're probably an INTJ. Even if in a loop.
I mean I don't know what's an ISFP in Te-grip like but an ISFP rarely if ever plans anything. It just contradicts its nature.

·
Registered
648 Posts
all the ISFPs and INTJs i've ever known or seen don't even seem similar at first glance.

their whole vibe and way of speaking couldn't be more different. the ISFP appears much more laid back and are teething with emotion underneath their surface, they try to conceal but they just can't

Look up some interviews of some ISFPs [Lana Del Rey] vs INTJs [Jay-Z], the difference is clear at first glance

it only gets confusing when you know too much [cognitive functions etc]

·
Registered
370 Posts
I agree totally with @spaceynyc. I find it much easier to type people if I stop consciously dissecting their thoughts and movements and just sort of figure out their vibe.

This could be total BS-- I encourage others to please call me out if it is. This is just a theory of sorts, so I'd appreciate input.

Both INTJs and ISFPs teem with intensity, but for INTJs, it seems outwards, scrutinizing the world and dissecting everything (Ni-Se-Te). It seems like their minds and thoughts move quickly but accurately just by the way they speak and move. They speak in an exacting, confident manner without pausing. They are intense because everything is moving quickly in their mind thanks to the branching nature of Ni and the analytical nature of being a thinker.

This is in contrast to both INTPs and ISTJs who I often see pause whenever they speak or write to get the words just right (Ti and Si, attention to detail, respectively.) They are often equally intelligent to an INTJ but come off as far less intense because they are more precise and careful with their words and actions. You can see the gears turning, the puzzle being worked.

ISFPs, meanwhile, are outwardly calm due to being at one with their environment (Se) and sensitive to its nuances. Their minds and thoughts seem to move at a relatively average rate and they talk in neither a rapid manner like INTJs or a slow manner like ISTJs or INTPs. Their intensity seems to be due the strength and power of their thoughts and feelings (Fi,) not its pace.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Yup to the others ho posted. ISFP and INTJ are not even remotely similar in appearance.

But easy way to tell is if you automatically envision long term goals or if you live more in the moment and sometimes envision longterm goals.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yup to the others ho posted. ISFP and INTJ are not even remotely similar in appearance.

But easy way to tell is if you automatically envision long term goals or if you live more in the moment and sometimes envision longterm goals.
Yes, this is the problem!
I was typed ISFP (by many people), and I can sort of relate to the first four functions.

However, I mostly live in future (& sometimes past). I even sometimes "plan" in order not to live in future, but I still do.

I usually can't live fully in here and now, and enjoy myself.
Usually, I'm either worried about past/future or planning for future.....to the point that I wish I werent this way...but this is who I am!

Sometimes thinking about future scares me.
Future gives you some things, but also takes some other things!
What if I can't reach my goals?
Or, What If I lose my loved ones?

But the problem is that I'm not intense enough or confident/brave enough to type myself INTJ.

I still have fear of conflict, I sometimes act passive agressive, I can't express myself, I'm a lone wolf, I have fear of what others might say/do, etc...

This makes me think I might not be INTJ either.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@Birbsofafeather ,

I think I have heard something similar to this too!
That Ti makes people talk slower and think alot before talking/acting.

I don't know if I'm truly INTJ/ISFP (Te), but I'm like this too!
I usually think alot before writing/saying/doing something and try to correct myself or predict what I'm going to say/do next !

And I don't look calm outwardly. I haven't really asked others to say how they see me, but I guess some people would say "serious", and other would say "anxious" or "worried"!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It all boils down to Ni usage and Te.
If you're a heavy Ni user (means you always attach meaning to things almost immediately, envision things that may not have happened or may happen sometimes in the future, etc..) and routinely plan your way of doing things, then you're probably an INTJ. Even if in a loop.
I mean I don't know what's an ISFP in Te-grip like but an ISFP rarely if ever plans anything. It just contradicts its nature.
I plan alot!
Not always act on them though!
But I sometimes do!

And If something happens that ruins my plans, I get angry and naggy!

I think I'm somewhere in between INTJ and ISFP.
But I'm not "in the moment" or "carefree" or easygoing enough to call myself ISFP,
And I'm not "charismatic" or "over achiever" or confident/brave enough to type myself INTJ!

Weird!

·
Registered
370 Posts
How strongly do you identify with the Se/Ni axis? Have you considered ISTJ before? Also I would look into enneagram type 6 if enneagram interests you.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
@Birbsofafeather ,

I think I have heard something similar to this too!
That Ti makes people talk slower and think alot before talking/acting.

I don't know if I'm truly INTJ/ISFP (Te), but I'm like this too!
I usually think alot before writing/saying/doing something and try to correct myself or predict what I'm going to say/do next !

And I don't look calm outwardly. I haven't really asked others to say how they see me, but I guess some people would say "serious", and other would say "anxious" or "worried"!
Ni can do the same, especially predicting what you might say or do next, very Ni-ish. I'm leaning towards INTJ based on what you said. But do you value efficiency and things like that?

@Birbsofafeather E6 for sure yea.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Ni can do the same, especially predicting what you might say or do next, very Ni-ish. I'm leaning towards INTJ based on what you said. But do you value efficiency and things like that?

@Birbsofafeather E6 for sure yea.
Yes, I do value efficiency for sure! But I also value creativity and/or originality/uniqueness!

And about enneagram, I can't choose between 4 and 6 for myself. Can relate to a bit of both!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How strongly do you identify with the Se/Ni axis? Have you considered ISTJ before? Also I would look into enneagram type 6 if enneagram interests you.
Not sure, actually I can mostly relate to Fi & Te, rather than Se and Ni.
Se is not my strongest function for sure, but I do care about aesthetics, senses, variety, etc.
And sometimes material things like buying/trying new things gives me motivation. This made me pick Se over Si. But I'm not sure!

And when it comes to N function (Ne vs Ni), I can't even choose which one I am more like. If I could, I would pick both!

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Yes, I do value efficiency for sure! But I also value creativity and/or originality/uniqueness!

And about enneagram, I can't choose between 4 and 6 for myself.
you can have 4 and 6 in the tritype.

Ok so you gave me reasons why u def sound INTJ but why do u think u are ISFP?

·
Registered
370 Posts
@MissElle being material oriented can be just as much Si as Se. Si is concerned with the body itself and comfort, the internal sensation, the state of the body. There is often an overlap with Sp instinct, or the orientation on safety and comfort. Buying accessories for the home, able nice mug for tea etc is quite Si. Se material goods are usually more instant gratification, a reward in the present moment, like sex. To exemplify this, an Si dom and an Se dom may both thoroughly enjoy the same meal, but the Si dom likes it because the food is comforting. Perhaps it reminds them of their grandmother's cooking. The Se likes it because of the present physical sensation of the flavors.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
you can have 4 and 6 in the tritype.

Ok so you gave me reasons why u def sound INTJ but why do u think u are ISFP?
Many people (on perc) say that I seem like an ISFP
If you check my first two "type me" threads, many people have told me that I give them ISFP vibes after me answering their typing questions.

Also, I generally care about variety, new things, food, cultures, scents, aesthetics, colors, textures, (sensory related things).

Another reason why I usually pick ISFP over INTJ (and I might be wrong) is my fear of conflict, fear of arguments, fear of being judged (need for peace and solitude!)

Maybe I'm stereotyping, but I always assume INTJs are charismatic, brave, assertive and confident. But I'm not really like that.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
@MissElle being material oriented can be just as much Si as Se. Si is concerned with the body itself and comfort, the internal sensation, the state of the body. There is often an overlap with Sp instinct, or the orientation on safety and comfort. Buying accessories for the home, able nice mug for tea etc is quite Si. Se material goods are usually more instant gratification, a reward in the present moment, like sex. To exemplify this, an Si dom and an Se dom may both thoroughly enjoy the same meal, but the Si dom likes it because the food is comforting. Perhaps it reminds them of their grandmother's cooking. The Se likes it because of the present physical sensation of the flavors.
Actually, If I want to choose between Se and Si based on these examples, I would say I'm mostly Se then.
I can relate to Se in your last example...

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
I plan alot!
Not always act on them though!
But I sometimes do!

And If something happens that ruins my plans, I get angry and naggy!

I think I'm somewhere in between INTJ and ISFP.
But I'm not "in the moment" or "carefree" or easygoing enough to call myself ISFP,
And I'm not "charismatic" or "over achiever" or confident/brave enough to type myself INTJ!

Weird!
By planning I mean: that bus is departing every ten minutes so I have to catch it if I want to reach my regular transport that takes me right there and there..but if I miss it, there is an alternate route....etc

That kind of planning is rarely typical to an ISFP.

Another example: I create an event and I invite some people who I don't consider my friends still it would be better if they were there because it gives me a boost socially and next time they invite me too..

Most Fi doms would consider this untrue or even unethical.

Reactions: MissElle

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Many people (on perc) say that I seem like an ISFP
If you check my first two "type me" threads, many people have told me that I give them ISFP vibes after me answering their typing questions.

Also, I generally care about variety, new things, food, cultures, scents, aesthetics, colors, textures, (sensory related things).

Another reason why I usually pick ISFP over INTJ (and I might be wrong) is my fear of conflict, fear of arguments, fear of being judged (need for peace and solitude!)

Maybe I'm stereotyping, but I always assume INTJs are charismatic, brave, assertive and confident. But I'm not really like that.
Yeaa that's a stereotype of INTJs lol. They are also introverts and can need space and solitude as well. And Ni and Te doesn't lend it'self to being the best with interpersonal relationships or being super social. (Sorry to the INTJs that are I don't mean you.) INTJs are more, efficient, get to the point, chronic planners lol and some can struggle socially not being able to pick up human cues and subtle behaviors quickly. Fear of conflict might be more related to enneagram than MBTI but some MBTI types do report being afraid of conflict.

My only struggle with you being an ISFP is that you said you find it hard to live in the hear and now and mostly live too much in the future and past. That does NOT sound ISFP and definitely sounds INTJ. INTJs like variety, new things, cultures, scents, and all that too, they just don't prioritize them over function. Inf Se values those things but does not prioritize them.

1 - 20 of 114 Posts