Personality Cafe banner

Are you an introvert like me?

• Hellz naw, why would I wanna be an internally-focussed biznatch. (Plus I'm stinky.)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm deluded enough to think both are possible.

• I don't like the tone you're taking, boy!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry folks, I didn't actually put up this post to help anyone.

I consider it more of an announcement (an affirmation) of something I've known for a long time.

I've been calling myself an introvert for a LONG time, even before finding the Personality Cafe and learning more about the Myers-Briggs types. However, there's always the chance that your understanding of a categorization may be different from the more professional understand (such as the difference between the meaning of the word "theory" in popular culture versus the scientific realm). As such, I felt it my duty to research "Introversion" versus "Extraversion" in more detail on this site.

Nope, it means *exactly* what I think it means.

Following is a "description" of introversion I found online and posted to Facebook, even before I found the Personality Cafe. It's a useful description as I imagine it would help Extraverts understand me better.

(I'm not allowed to post links yet so you'll have to construct it yourself. Just google 55855-guide-to-understanding-the-introverted to find it.)

Incidentally, I disbelieve in the existence of "ambiverts". I believe that such a person is impossible in the similar way that I disbelieve in a perpetual motion machine.

I shall now continue my research of the different types to better understand who I am and what makes me tick. Understanding my primary focus (introversion) should give me a better idea of my inputs and outputs, what energizes me and allows me to produce a maximum amount of output. The more output I am capable of producing, the more efficiently I'll be able to achieve all my goals, including my most primary goal (at the moment), the production of a new theory of gravity.

Mother of HELL I hate mosquitoes. My feet and back are SO ITCHY right now!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
From Dr. Carmella's Guide To Understanding The Introverted!

1) Respect Personal Space (Hamster Ball)
2) Energy is limited
3) Don't demand to have energy spent on you when it's not particularly needed
4) Don't take silence as an insult - it isn't!
5) Introverts get lonely, too

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Incidentally, I disbelieve in the existence of "ambiverts".
I don't think you understand the cognitive theory function so well. Individuals can easily have "well developed" (for a lack of better words) primary and secondary functions. MBTI is a guideline more than a law; it's not like there are only 16 types of people, lol.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I don't think you understand the cognitive theory function so well. Individuals can easily have "well developed" (for a lack of better words) primary and secondary functions. MBTI is a guideline more than a law; it's not like there are only 16 types of people, lol.
Clearly there aren't 16 types of people. (E.G. People who believe in the twelve signs of horoscopes are morons.) Also, surely people can have well-developed secondary types.. but to be truly ambiversional is impossible.

Consider this: When you dimensionalize along an axis that isn't logically mutually exclusive, it's difficult to draw meaningful conclusions. For example, it's risky to categorize people as "red haired people" versus "left-handed people" because the groups can intersect and any results are skewed.

Dimensionalizing "interally-focussed" versus "externally-focussed", on the other hand, is meaningful, because any action a person can take that would be categorized along this axis MUST be categorized in one but never both groups. While a person may draw energy from both internal sources and external sources, any given energy-renewal action must be unequivocally either one or the other.

E.G. You can read a book to renew your energy or visit a party to renew energy. To say that you only renew energy by reading a book at a party is not meaningful because instead of being BOTH types, it ends up being neither (or more likely, forcing the choice of one or the other if you examine more carefully the person's actions at the party; did they hide in the closet to read the book?)

Therefore, if a person tells me they're an "ambivert", I call bullshit.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Dimensionalizing "interally-focussed" versus "externally-focussed", on the other hand, is meaningful, because any action a person can take that would be categorized along this axis MUST be categorized in one but never both groups. While a person may draw energy from both internal sources and external sources, any given energy-renewal action must be unequivocally either one or the other.
This is working under the assumption that surface level MBTI (E versus I, N versus S, etc.) tends to perpetrate. However if you look at some individuals cognitive functions, you may see some individuals who tend to test equal with their primary and secondary functions. (I am not saying such tests are perfect or even an ideal way of testing, but it is what we have to go off of.)

This is where "borderline E/I" types come from, where an xNTJ tests "very strong" Ni, "very strong" Te, and lower but fairly equal Se and Fi. Tell me, if someone consistently tests with equal or near equal Ni and Te, how can you determine if they are an INTJ or an ENTJ?

E.G. You can read a book to renew your energy or visit a party to renew energy. To say that you only renew energy by reading a book at a party is not meaningful because instead of being BOTH types, it ends up being neither (or more likely, forcing the choice of one or the other if you examine more carefully the person's actions at the party; did they hide in the closet to read the book?
Under the premises that one only uses the concept of "energy," I can see why one would tend to evaluate the two as mutually exclusive processes, claiming that you cannot gain energy via both systems. But even then I would challenge you and ask "why not?" And, "is that just your opinion?"

Energy, from what I have learned, is generally gained more from the thought processes involved in cognitive functions. E.g. for an INTJ, energy is primarily gained through the application of both Ni and Te together (for simplicity, I'm excluding the other functions). INTJs and ENTJs both find energy in processing using Te and Ni, especially when finding symbolic systems or when successfully able to intuit the solution to a system. The INTJ's primary function is Ni, so the process of finding symbols and bizarre tendency to "transcend" problems generally "energizes" them more so than it does the ENTJ, but not unlike the ENTJ.

Inversely, the ENTJ's dominant function, Te, tends to "provide them more energy" when applied (along with Ni) in catalyzing change in other people (they can see direct results of their extroverted thinking processes), and upon the actual completion of their goals and dreams. (A key component of both Te and Ni focuses: the objective step by step process Te allows one to follow quickly, and the subjective Ni process which constantly reminds the xNTJ of its goal and dream.)

Due to the simple fact that E and I really only determine the order in which the cognitive functions exist, it's extremely easy for me to see the possibilities of people truly operating as either an INTJ or ENTJ (or any type having difficulty narrowing down E and I). The other functions, on the other hand, are a totally different story; an INFJ and INTJ are completely different, and the concept that someone is typed to be "INxJ" (or IxTJ, INTx) is a misunderstanding/lack of MBTI theory on their part.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts