Personality Cafe banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
INFJ
5,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m writing this because I find that a lot of information about types and cognitive functions can be misleading, confusing or difficult, so understanding so I hope at least some of you guys will find this helpful J

Typing by means of the four letters:

I vs E:
I think there is a lot of misunderstanding as to what it means to be an introvert vs. being an extrovert.
Put most simply, introversion vs. extroversion is determined by how tired a person gets by external stimulation—that is, ANY form of external stimulation. Introverts tend to work through more of their thought, ideas, feelings, etc. internally, and tend to filter what they feel they should express in some external form. Generally introverts think, then act. Extroverts, on the other hand, feel more comfortable working through ideas while implementing them or discussing them with others.
A couple of important terms when considering I vs. E are subjective and objective. Subjective means that it’s more individualistic, or personal. Objective, pretty much means that it is or should be readily apparent to everyone. Introverts tend to be more comfortable thinking in more subjective terms, extroverts think more in terms of what they consider to be objective.
It’s also important to realize that this is relative, and most mature people tend to lean toward ambiversion to some extent. Few people are really 100% introverted or extroverted, and usually such people have an extremely difficult time functioning on a day to day level.

S vs. N.
Whether you’re a sensor or an intuitive has to do with how you perceive the world around you.

Sensors feel the most comfortable taking in information through their external environment as is, seldom seek patterns. Sometimes, sensors will seek patterns but they feel less comfortable and confident with their ability to interpret information that way than they do with perceiving such information.

SJs will see the information that they take in through the five senses as being subjective, because they are introverted sensors. This means that they tend to rely on their own personal experiences to draw conclusions about things and formulate their own world view. SJs tend to feel more comfortable with what is familiar than with new things or ideas. They tend to feel less confident in their ability to visualize potential possibilities and to see things or ideas that have not existed in their own personal experience. It’s important to note that they are very capable of doing so, but they don’t feel confident in their capability to do so.

SPs see sensory details as being objective which means that they tend to rely on sensory details in their external environment to draw conclusions or formulate their world view. An SP will tend to easily take for granted that what is in their external environment that is easily apparent to them is just as apparent to everyone else in the same environment. I’ve known quite a few SPs who use the word “obviously” a lot because they don’t always understand how someone can be unable to perceive what it obviously right there in front of them.

Intuitives tend to feel more comfortable seeking patterns in their present environment in order to understand a meaning that cannot be perceived simply by seeing what is there.

NJs are introverted intuitives which means that an NJ will take all of the sensory information that they take in, and immediately use that information to draw a conclusion, to prognosticate a potential outcome or formulate their worldview, and this thought process will usually happen internally. Generally, when an NJ expresses an idea in their mind, it’s already been processed internally, and is a complete thought. NJs tend to have a lot of confidence in their interpretations of the world around them, and an NJ that has a higher intelligence level, will tend to be right, quite a lot, to the point of amazing those around them, and tend to hear “How did you know….?” Quite a lot. They feel a lot less confident in their ability to perceive what is in their present environment, and have a very difficult time being in the moment.

NPs prefer extroverted intuition, which is objective intuition. I guess since I am an Ni type, so, yeah I have some bias, it’s difficult for me to understand the concept of “objective intuition” but this is now I explain it. Ne types tend to work out their ideas in a more collaborative sense. They tend to be more inclined to work out their ideas while implementing them, or they might express incomplete ideas while discussing them with others, thus creating a big brainstorming session with others. Ne-doms are known as people who tend to like to debate, play devil’s advocate, etc. because they like the kind of conversation in which people throw ideas back and forth like playing ball. This is probably why Ne-doms often come across as very playful or as people who like to challenge others.

T vs F
Thinking vs Feeling determines how a person makes the majority of their decisions, and sometimes, how they evaluate the decisions of others.
People with a thinking preference make most of their decisions on logic or some other form of impersonal information.
TPs make a lot of personal decisions based on an internal logic. To them logic is subjective, because they are introverted thinkers. As introverted thinkers, they will tend to have a lot of thoughts and opinions that aren’t necessarily backed up by an authoritative resource, but also can’t really be disproven either. They tend to have a distaste for authoritarianism, and even though they can be very opinionated, tend to be repelled by people who feel that their opinions are the only “right” way of seeing things. They will tend to question such people a lot, and will sometimes try to poke holes in their ideas to show that there are other ways to see things. A TP will tend to be pretty confident in their ability to troubleshoot a problem, and will often come across as very critical due to this “troubleshooter” personality in which they can’t help but see the problem in something, including other people, and how it can somehow be improved upon. TPs will also tend to be a lot less confident in their ability to be socially inclined and influence the feelings of other people.

TJs tend to be very authoritarian. They rely on extroverted logic in order to make decisions, and believe that what is logical and factual to them should, obviously be logical and factual to everyone, and thus, they have little patience with people who behave in a way or believe things that make no sense to them. TJs will be more likely to want to impose their logical thought process on others, and will tend to want to be able to follow the logic of everyone around them. They tend to rely more on authoritative resource when doing research on a decision that they want to make. They like to implement systems in a way that is practical and efficient. TJs tend to be the most energized when implemented a system or having logical discussions with others in which things, just click and make more sense. TJs tend to feel less confident in their ability to empathise other peoples’ points of view, and sometimes with their own personal ethics, and so they tend to dislike having their ethics questioned or criticized by others. It tends to be an area of extreme sensitivity for them.
People with a feeling preference tend to make the majority of their decisions on a personal value system or a set of internal ethics.

FPs see morals and ethics as being subjective, which means that they do not like to impose their sense of morality on others, and don’t like for others to impose their ethics or morals on them. FPs tend to value independence and individuality. Possibly do to their desire to not impose their ethics on others, FP types tend to be very emotionally reserved. They tend to hold a lot more in than they express to the point that they’re not always aware of how much they’re holding in, and may believe that they’re expressing a lot more than they really are. They tend to have poker faces and their voices tend to lean more toward a monotone. They also tend to have a huge distate for society’s expectations of them. They don’t like how the views of society hems people into categories, because they see each person as a unique individual who should not be hemmed into a box. FPs, particularly IXFPs usually don’t feel confident in their ability to be a competent or practical person, and will sometimes call themselves “stupid” or “useless” sometimes, even out loud to others.

FJs, seeing ethics and morals as being objective, can sometimes take for granted that their view on morals, ethics, and social propriety are everyone’s view. An FJ is way more likely than an FP to say that a certain course of action is right or wrong, because FJs tend to view that there is a clear right or wrong path when it comes to morals. They see things as being more black and white, whereas FPs, see things more in shades of gray.

Judging vs Perceiving
Judging basically means deciding. People with a judging preference tend to feel more comfortable when a decision has been made, whereas people with a perceiving preference tend to feel more comfortable putting off a decision until more information has been taken in, and if they make a decision, will be more inclined to change it, after examining it in the light of new information. I’ll get into individual cognitive functions another time. This is a lot of information so far…

·
Registered
43 Posts
TPs make a lot of personal decisions based on an internal logic. To them logic is subjective, because they are introverted thinkers. As introverted thinkers, they will tend to have a lot of thoughts and opinions that aren’t necessarily backed up by an authoritative resource, but also can’t really be disproven either. They tend to have a distaste for authoritarianism, and even though they can be very opinionated, tend to be repelled by people who feel that their opinions are the only “right” way of seeing things. They will tend to question such people a lot, and will sometimes try to poke holes in their ideas to show that there are other ways to see things. A TP will tend to be pretty confident in their ability to troubleshoot a problem, and will often come across as very critical due to this “troubleshooter” personality in which they can’t help but see the problem in something, including other people, and how it can somehow be improved upon. TPs will also tend to be a lot less confident in their ability to be socially inclined and influence the feelings of other people.

FPs see morals and ethics as being subjective, which means that they do not like to impose their sense of morality on others, and don’t like for others to impose their ethics or morals on them. FPs tend to value independence and individuality. Possibly do to their desire to not impose their ethics on others, FP types tend to be very emotionally reserved. They tend to hold a lot more in than they express to the point that they’re not always aware of how much they’re holding in, and may believe that they’re expressing a lot more than they really are. They tend to have poker faces and their voices tend to lean more toward a monotone. They also tend to have a huge distate for society’s expectations of them. They don’t like how the views of society hems people into categories, because they see each person as a unique individual who should not be hemmed into a box. FPs, particularly IXFPs usually don’t feel confident in their ability to be a competent or practical person, and will sometimes call themselves “stupid” or “useless” sometimes, even out loud to others.
Is it possible to be both of these things at once? It seems that it could not be logically possible, within the system ... but, could it be, somehow? I mean, many xNxP's feel like the former with regard to issues etc, and the latter with regard to feelings and likes/dislikes. Is there any clear way to distinguish between the two??
The rest of your article is great and clears a lot of up for me so I hope you can help with this too! Thanks :)

·
Registered
3,704 Posts
I see a large pile of typism and general stereotypes or misunderstandings.
First of all, you are making it harder than it is and I wonder if you understand the words you use from time to time. Especially I find that you get caught up in explaining something simple in too many words filling it with well, misunderstandings and stereotypes.

1. I vs E is about if you are drained or energized by the presence of other people.
2. Introverts don't necessarily think before they act, that is a generalization and the same is true for what was said about extroverts.
3. Subjective vs Objective is only relevant when speaking of the cognitive functions.

4. Sensors aren't bad at looking for patterns, they prefer information that they recieve from their senses whereas intuitives prefer to look at connections.
5. Si users such as SJs prefer to perceive the world through sensations from a subjective standpoint. They aren't afraid of change or anything, they just prefer to go by their subjective sensations.
6. You don't make Judgements with a Perceiving function
7. Being an NJ doesn't make you smart and being smart doesn't make you an NJ and neither means that you'd always be right or astonish people with your insight.

8. MBTI is about how you prefer to make decisions, not how you usually do them.
9. Ti users tends to be the people who believe that their way is the only correct way as they follow subjective logic and they tend to deny that someone could know more than them if it contradicts one of their ideas.
10. Thank you for calling me authoritarian, that was very unwarranted and complete typism and also part of why my response is grumpy.
11. Te users are the opposite of what you claim, we are generally very open to other input, that is what Objective logic is about, cooperative logic so to speak. Just like anyone however, we don't like bullshit.
12. I am very empathic, thank you. Now stop your anti-Te typism.
13. Fi users don't like their values questioned and Ti users don't like their logic questioned, that is part of why it is subjective and not objective.
14. A lot of stereotypes about FPs. FPs prefer subjective values and thus they prefer that other people don't impose on them, they will however impose their values on others like Ti users will impose their logic on others. Who do you think is participating in many political debates for example? Many of them are Fi users.
15. FJs prefer to follow broader and objective values such as treating everyone fairly etc. above following any subjective value.

I am not in front of my computer atm so I can't give a more detailed criticism than this.

·
Registered
43 Posts
14. FPs prefer subjective values and thus they prefer that other people don't impose on them, they will however impose their values on others like Ti users will impose their logic on others. Who do you think is participating in many political debates for example? Many of them are Fi users.
This is true.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts