Personality Cafe banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
MOTM January 2013
10,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This question came up again earlier on another site, the good old - What's your favourite type and your least favourite type?

Is this question as easy to answer as it is to ask? My response was that I could share information about the people I am fond of and what their types were and the same for those people I dislike and what their types were aswell. But within those groups, there were many, many exceptions, for those I call lovely types, the actual individuals rather than the abstract concept of their type turned out to be different, they were nice in person or nastier in person compared to their online persona.
This question of, who is your favourite and least favourite, has in my experience turned out to be an over-rated one. And so, the question of who your favourite/least favourite type, has turned out to be an often aggressive and make-believe situation. Where we place concepts above individual experiences.

The point of MBTI is to recognize the patterns and trends which have been observed belonging to internal processing and yet the objective observations of people's internal processes seem to be taken to another level of group objectification.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Fav: "How do you overcome x struggle with being x type?" "As a x type what is your view on x?"

Least fav: "I want relationship advice so I'll mention Myers Briggs types once in order to make it seem like this thread is kind of valid."

·
Banned
3,802 Posts
I don't think questions like that are useful at all. Usually when someone answers they base it off of how they've typed other people in their lives (which is often flawed) and I think it kind of misses the point of typology. Also, it tends to lead people to type the people they don't like a certain way (eg. I hate ESFJs because my mom did such and such) while not being objective about it.

Reactions: mushr00m
1 - 3 of 3 Posts