Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Insightful, sensitive, altruistic, organized, quiet… INFJ descriptions can get pretty cliché, as any other summed up characterization specifically written for "pop" articles that need to be consumed quickly. As I cannot speak for other INFJs, I will merely show in which respects I differ from all these INFJ stereotypes, anf I would like your input. I exaggerated just a bit in order to make a point… I really am a good person :tongue:

I am selfish
Far from the INFJ cliché, I am a pretty selfish individual, in a particular sense of the word. I distinguish, broadly, two types of selfishness: the conscious one and the unconscious one. I believe that, often, when we say that someone in particular is selfish, what we want to say is that he is consciously selfish; that is, that she decides to act in ways that benefit her and makes an effort to put herself first. On the other hand, we tend to use the other definition of selfishness when describing human nature; when we , for instance, say that everyone is selfish: we are thereby saying that people are unconsciously selfish, because it's human nature, because this is what is instinctive to do, regardless of whether individuals are also consciously selfish or not. Being unconsciously selfish amounts to being quite oblivious of things that do not have a direct effect on us.

As an INFJ, because of Ni's constant review of all possible perspectives and Fe's focus on other people and on my connection with them, I could not be unconsciously selfish. Of course, as an introvert —and, specially, since Ni is an introverted perceiving function, meaning that I can easily spend hours "perceiving" things that do not exist outside my head— , I have to admit that I am somewhat self-absorbed, but, still, I do not think that I qualify as unconsciously selfish and I was definitely selfless as a child.

What happened was that, instead of staying a sensitive butterfly to infinity and beyond :words:, I decided to toughen up at some point, in order to protect my feelings and in order to focus on my own happiness. This meant thinking about me before helping some people, setting boundaries and making sure other people acknowledged them. Being assertive, in two words.

It is still a work in progress but, as long as I am aware of what the situation is like and as long as I have time to think about the place I occupy within the field of social networks, I am no longer that selfless butterfly. I had to learn to say 'no', to put myself first, to ponder whether a person is good for me, to analyze whether a situation will be beneficial for me and to believe in myself.

Of course, my first innate reaction will always be to put others first. That's because of Fe, but also because of Ni's ability to grasp others' perspectives. Ni + Fe = the ability to really put yourself in other people's shoes. But I get to decide what I do with this ability. Just because your pain is in my heart doesn't mean that my heart goes out to you.

I am in touch with my feelings
There is this cliché that, while INFJ are really aware of other people's feelings —which is true, btw—, they are quite oblivious of their own. This is not the case for me: I am very much aware of my own feelings; I instantly sense when something disturbs my intellectual and lucid nature :t: (Ni, Ti), when something emerges from the depths of my own self and irrupts in the intricate web of otherness that Fe is constantly weaving.

Once this feeling or emotion is quickly detected, the recognition path begins: I want to know what this feeling really is (Ni), why it is there (Ni) and I want to label it precisely (Ti). Overall, I want to embed this experience into a pattern of previous and, potentially, future experiences (Ni).

Another related phenomenon is that I am generally really aware of my inner dynamics. You know these characters from films or TV series who constantly act a certain way yet deny the causes or consequences of their actions even to themselves, when they are really apparent? Like guys constantly checking out guys yet denying being gay or bi or just plain non-straight. Well, these characters are like my exact opposites: I can lie to others, but I cannot lie to myself. Ni eventually always finds out the ultimate truth (almost!).

I am, therefore, in touch with feelings and emotions. Very much so. They are, nonetheless, pretty disturbing; that's true. I am, however, not in touch at all with my likes and preferences: what type of relationship do I want? what do I want to do this year? what do I want for lunch? And the hardest questions: who am I? how am I? what do I want to achieve in life? I can enumerate whims, say trivialities about myself, but it is hard for me to label myself and say 'I am this, I am that; I want this, I want that'. Most times, it is not that I do not know how to impose myself; it's that I don't have anything to impose.

I am a mess
You see that 'J' there? INFJ. It is supposed to mean I am a judgmental OCD asshole. Yep. There's Je somewhere in me: I judge, according to shared moral and sentimental standards (Fe). I, however, am a perceiving type! Ni (perceiving function) - dominant!

I nonetheless believe that this Je thing goes beyond my Fe-ness: it is true that I need a lot of external structure, even if it is self-imposed. And I believe xxxPs are a lot more self-regulated and chill. I, for instance, cannot think 'oh, I have to study', and magically start doing it, with my laptop and a book, still in bed, wearing a pajama. No: I have to get up, exercise a bit, take a shower, change my clothes and leave home to go to the library and THEN I am able to study. Because that's my routine; because that's where you study; in libraries; not in bed.

I am, therefore, quite a mess: unless everything goes smooth and I can maintain my good routines, things start getting chaotic. And my Je (mixed with Ni striving for ultimate grounds) favors and all-or-nothing, black-or-white mentality: I either live in a crystal palace or in a pigsty. There is seldom a middle ground.

I can be loud

That's Fe: I like being around my friends. I need to be alone half of the time and be around people the other half. I don't know who said us INFJs are the introverts among the introverts but it cannot be true, simply because Fe is our auxiliary function, and Fe needs people, Fe needs both society and community. And Fe can get loud: it parties, it laughs, it screams, it jumps with a bunch of friends on a mattress like hyper children; Fe can get hectic and maniac. And it's fun.

I am superficial

Take Ni, with its inclination to the greatest, ultimate Good and then add Fe, with its focus on socially accepted norms and protocols and you get a quite superficial person! Of course, I also care about all these deep things INFJ are supposed to care about: social justice, art, ecology, etc. But I unconsciously recognize what society values and can unawarely strive to achieve it. And what is that? Well, power, money, comfort, luxury, beauty, love, affection, admiration and recognition, I'm afraid.

And, remember, Ni always strives to get to the ultimate things. Meaning? I am never satisfied :sad:

Please add your experiences!

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Interesting topics - I too think people really misunderstand what an INFJ is because of the way we are written about online.

Like you said, I don't think I'm a bad person for these things I will mention - I think I'm very easy to talk to (IRL) and I'm a people-pleaser. I think I come across as a lot more stern online (as people like to remind me daily) and I am very reserved - but many of my thought processes are INFJ-typical and seem to contradict what people think of our type as a whole.

Here are some of the following that might shock non-INFJs:

1. When I first meet people, I scout out in what ways they will be useful to me.

It sounds terrible when I put it that way but I do mean it. A very simple example from being at school/university and even work is that I consider what the kinds of people around me are like and how it benefits me. Are they tidy, messy, punctual, do they keep notes of meetings, can they be trusted with secrets, who do they like and get along with and why.

I store all of this information for the time I need it so that, if for example I need something as innocent as to know who to rely on if I missed a day of classes and I want the notes from said-class, I know who can be counted on because up until that point I observed their interactions with other people who have missed lessons and what they've told them to catch up. I can deduce whether they give trustworthy information and if that will ever be useful to me in a moment where I must rely on another person.

2. In a more selfish way, I will allow people to think we are friends if it means that it makes my life easier.

I can be pretty (an unintentionally) hot and cold. Not with the same people, with different people, hot with one, cold with another and people can be confused by this. When I'm in Ni mode - I 'appear' like I don't care about anything, I seem cold, because I'm usually focusing on something singular and not social.

When I'm in Fe mode, I seem very social, I know exactly what to say, what to do, what people mean etc.

Due to my Fe skills, I find many people think I like them, when I'm in social-mode, when I do in fact not care for them. I'm just being pleasant, making small talk and being civil.

As a kid, I learned quickly that people take being called a friend very seriously, despite (in my opinion) not doing much to deserve being called such a thing. So like all INFJs, I'm picky with who I let close to me. But as a naturally reserved person, if I give any personal information away to others, they often interpret this as suddenly meaning I trust them and that we're friends - when this couldn't be further from the truth.

But I will allow them to think so so that if I'm in a situation where I need something from them, any sort of small favour, they will do it for me because we already have that established relationship. If I were to be entirely honest, they wouldn't lend a hand to someone who never before made an effort to laugh at their jokes, humour their conversations and be generally pleasant - would they? I see it as benefiting us both - they get to think we're buddies, I get to make life easier for myself in the rare moments I need something. But I am very aware some might see this as deceiving, it is - but you have to pick your battles and I haven't yet hurt anyone doing this. Most of it is unconscious, I never sit down and make a plan out of how to get people to trust me.

If I went around telling everyone who 'thought' I liked them that I didn't, my life would be harder than it is now because sometimes for your own benefit, it's better to keep those things to yourself. Unless of course a person asks me for a honest assessment of how I see them - I will have no issue being honest, but people tend to be shocked by answer, regret asking and end up upset or crying.

3. I am very strategic, mostly unconsciously.

Again, when I first meet people, it takes a handful of interactions for me to figure out their weaknesses - whether they're a person who simply can't stand being told what to do or they'd throw a fit, or they're a person who has a chequered past with dating. It doesn't take long for me to know what their issues are.

And my Ni is so amoral that I occasionally have moments of theorising what it would be like to use this information against them. Since I'm Fe driven and I think, quite easy-going and not a complete cunt - I don't. But in a few arguments (something I do not invite nor enjoy) where people have corned me, not letting me get away from them during the end of a relationship, I have used information I've deduced from them, repeated it back to them and I have made many people cry. I don't like when it comes to that, but it's a sure-fire way of getting someone who is harassing you to never be able to look you in the eye again after repeating their deepest fears back to their consciousness.

4. I know you were exaggerating for the purpose of showing stereotypes to be stupid - but I think people who have somewhat of a through knowledge of the MBTI are aware that types like INFJs are not strong Js. I consider myself cleaner and more tidy than the average individual due to my upbringing for one, and the fact I do actually have pretty severe OCD. But like a typical-INFJ, my work station, for example, would look like a mess to other people. It's organised chaos to me. INFJs are not strong Js like ESTJs for example and this is a reason so many INFPs and INFJs mistype as each other because, for example a person who is new to the MBTI might think "Well, I'm not tidy all the time - so I guess I can't be an INFJ, I'm an INFP" or vice versa.

5. Like many INFJs, I believe we are closer to INTJs or ISFJs in behaviour than we are with INFPs. We share functions with the former, none with the latter and it is reflected in our behaviour because INFJs have a weak Se like INTJs, are driven by Ni like INTJs and Fe secondly like ISFJs. And we are most certainly Js in comparison to INFPs who tend to be more obviously Ps than we are obviously Js. They are far more go with the flow than we are, in general.

6. I agree with you - around friends and family, I can be very loud. I have said a few times on PerC that if people I used to be social with were just introduced to the MBTI and they had to type me - I'm almost certain they'd go for ESTP or something. But 98% of people will never see the real side of me because they're not a loved-one and therefore I'm not interested in them being in my inner circle of trusted individuals - who know how truly introverted and private I am.

7. I did find it quite strange when I first read - "INFJs aren't in touch with their feelings." I called bullshit.

But in comparison to a type like INFP, we don't tend to be as good at making our identity the centre of our thought-processing. When it comes to emotions, the only reason I can figure out why this is said about us is because in comparison to introverted feelers, we're not as proficient often, and because we're so empathetic and Fe driven that we can misinterpret other people's emotions as our own - which I do frequently.

And that is a big reason I only feel entirely myself when I am alone with no external stimuli interfering with my ability to detect the origin of the emotions I am feeling. Like you said, I think my Ni-Ti will inevitably find a way of retracing where it all began - so I don't think we're anywhere near as hopeless with emotions as some sites make out. Unlike some types, we are highly introspective and think about the patterns in our own behaviour often - many types are not that reflective.

8. I'm not actively or consciously private - I am because I don't trust other people's intentions, knowing how well human behaviour works. This is typical of INFJs however, but many seem to feel we want to be mysterious - I don't think that is the case, mostly, because we just are.

We're a weird type.

Can't think of anymore at the moment. But it was interesting to think about.

·
Registered
30 Posts
pretty much the same as you.

I call myself selfishly selfless because i recognise that when i help others i am really helping myself. i have no problem telling people no when i am too busy or i feel that thing they asked me to do is a waste of my time. but i wasn't like this when i was younger. i was always trying to help people no matter what but i got over it.

yea i am pretty good at understanding my own feelings. but i understand my own feelings through a third person point of view.

yea i am kinda messy too

yea i am pretty loud too, most people at work think i am extrovert. i would joke around with a lot of people. i use to be shy tho, very shy, my parents were very very worried. but i got over it (to an extent)by practising public speaking and gaining self confident through hard work.

yea i can be showy but not i am not fake. i don't go around pretending that i am awesome, i try my best to be awesome =P

9,999 Posts
- I not only am not in touch with my feelings - we don't inhabit the same consciousness.
- I am very tidy and organised. I love organising things.
- I am never loud. I don't really do friends, and I generally prefer to stay away from family.
- I dislike talking 95 % of the time, and generally do monologues only the other 5 %. I virtually never enjoy listening.

·
Registered
29 Posts
1. I'm not caring

I don't like 'serving' people at all. It always feels wrong when I'm doing it. Maybe it's my pride.
I mean, I want people to feel comfortable but it wouldn't feel real if I served them while actually being in a different mood.

2. People never open up to me

Some descriptions even say that strangers immediately open up to INFJs. But I don't believe anyone would ever come to me with their problems. Maybe that's because my friends aren't that sort of people who have a lot of problems lol.
It's not that I would mind if people wanted help from me. I'd definetely feel glad they opened up and would do everything I could to help them. It's just that I need some time to think about something until I can help.

I'm one of those INFJs with low Fe and quite high Ti but I could never identify with Te as auxilary function. I think there are just many variations of INFJs. Remember that your MBTI type doesn't include all your unique personality traits. It can't be 100% accurate.

It's weird that some of you disagreed with some clichés that others agreed with. I guess most INFJ descriptions probably represent an 'average' INFJ which leads to some of us disagreeing with several points.

But maybe there are also some clichés that are actually wrong for all subtypes of INFJs. I don't know.

What do you think?

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
1. I'm not caring

I don't like 'serving' people at all. It always feels wrong when I'm doing it. Maybe it's my pride.
I mean, I want people to feel comfortable but it wouldn't feel real if I served them while actually being in a different mood.

Some descriptions even say that strangers immediately open up to INFJs. But I don't believe anyone would ever come to me with their problems. Maybe that's because my friends aren't that sort of people who have a lot of problems lol.
It's not that I would mind if people wanted help from me. I'd definetely feel glad they opened up and would do everything I could to help them. It's just that I need some time to think about something until I can help.

I'm one of those INFJs with low Fe and quite high Ti but I could never identify with Te as auxilary function. I think there are just many variations of INFJs. Remember that your MBTI type doesn't include all your unique personality traits. It can't be 100% accurate.

It's weird that some of you disagreed with some clichés that others agreed with. I guess most INFJ descriptions probably represent an 'average' INFJ which leads to some of us disagreeing with several points.

But maybe there are also some clichés that are actually wrong for all subtypes of INFJs. I don't know.

What do you think?
Good point to bring up. My answer won't do me justice right now since I'm about to eat. But this touches on something that has been bugging me a while. I never used to be annoyed with the fact the MBTI is so limiting because I knew for most it was common understanding that it doesn't 'define us' - but now I am bothered by it.

Perhaps because INFJs vary so much as people that I'm increasingly becoming uncomfortable with the preconceived notions people have about me, before asking for clarification on how I feel about a topic - they've assumed with me being an INFJ that they already know how I 'should' feel if I am to fit what they have read about INFJs.

It's quite a sad state of affairs because it means there are bound to be disagreements within types - we disagreed wildly sometimes about how we ought to be presented and maybe that's because we're restricting ourselves too much. I mean, I liken it to being female, or an ethnic minority or of a certain culture. None of us are enjoying, I don't think, that people might think "So you're a Latina, therefore I'm going to retrieve my memory bank of what I've read online about how Latinas behave you as an individual must match that otherwise it'll throw me." It doesn't do our individualism any justice. Though I still greatly appreciate the MBTI, it clearly has its issues.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
I think it's imperative to remember:

Type is a broad category, not an individual.

There's no figurative INFJ model to live up to.

A category has wiggle room to allow for the wide fluctuations contributed by elements like Enneagram, instinctual variant, genetic & environmental neural uniqueness, experiential differences, and any typological categorizations yet to be defined.

So it's kinda pointless to say "This is an INFJ thing, this is not an INFJ thing" unless it works for the broader category rather than just a few.

That said we can only speak for ourselves, contributing to the larger consensus, so here's my input:

* I come off as cold / aloof / mean ... anything but kind, to start off with.
My kindness is more of a lurker, waiting until someone is down to encourage them back up, seeking to understand others deeply in order to best benefit them - but it is not obvious or shared widely.

I'm comfortable with this, as I don't consider that what others want is always what they need. Wants are temporary, needs are long-range.

* I do not fart rainbows. Although at times I can be pretty cute.

* A lot of people tend to mildly dislike me.
I could make them like me, but I refuse.

* I have absolutely no freaking idea what my feelings really are until I've expressed it and I can look at it "out there".
I can tell you what my feelings should be, but that does not always equate to what they are.
I do -always- know what my impressions & thoughts are. Self-awareness is a big deal in my book.
Emotions factor in as something else, something to be parented and managed so they don't interfere with the larger picture. Which they do anyway no matter how hard I try, because - feeler.

** Conclusion: I am not the INFJ model. I'm just one among many in a broad category thusly labeled.

Note: "Subconscious", not "Unconscious"... When you're unconscious you are probably dreaming :tongue:

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
P.s.

The J vs P thing is already covered under MBTI provided people have found the right info - hard to find, I know.

Dr. AJ Drenth explains in his books how, all introverts are actually half & half on the J/P axis.

MBTI chooses to categorize based on how the types approach action... what they put out there in the world. So the first extroverted function.

Socionics categorizes based on the first function, which is why all the introverted types have their J / P switched, but the Es don't. INFJs are INFps in Socionics model.

Both are valid, it depends on which way you look at it, because it's 50/50.

Reactions: lavendersnow
9,999 Posts
That said we can only speak for ourselves, contributing to the larger consensus, so here's my input:
I'll go toe to toe with ya.

* I come off as cold / aloof / mean ... anything but kind, to start off with.
I come across as friendly and genuinely nice. Saint-like.

I've done a double rainbow once, but it takes a lot of durian to get there.

* A lot of people tend to mildly dislike me.
Pretty much everyone likes me.

I can tell you what my feelings should be, but that does not always equate to what they are.
Interesting! How? "This is situation X and Y just happened so I should be feeling Z"?

For me it's more like "this is situation X [say, a funeral] and humans are supposed to feel Y here so I'll make face Z but I'm mostly just feeling a pressing need for solitude with all of this emotional energy in the air".

·
Registered
240 Posts
I feel like if you're into self growth and you're willing to take a critical look at your personality you will not fit the stereotypes. I think the whole INFJ concept might describe what your preferences are or what you would lean towards intuitively. However, as humans we have the ability to reflect and the happier I become and the more I learn the more I seem to be a lot of different personality types at one haha.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
1. When I first meet people, I scout out in what ways they will be useful to me.

It sounds terrible when I put it that way but I do mean it. A very simple example from being at school/university and even work is that I consider what the kinds of people around me are like and how it benefits me. Are they tidy, messy, punctual, do they keep notes of meetings, can they be trusted with secrets, who do they like and get along with and why.
I unconsciously do this all the time, but not in such a precise manner. I am pretty terrible with details —it's apparently quite common among INFJs— and just remember general patterns, sometimes quite crazy, like 'this should be my go-to person if I ever kill someone'. Totally Ni.

2. In a more selfish way, I will allow people to think we are friends if it means that it makes my life easier.

I can be pretty (an unintentionally) hot and cold. Not with the same people, with different people, hot with one, cold with another and people can be confused by this. When I'm in Ni mode - I 'appear' like I don't care about anything, I seem cold, because I'm usually focusing on something singular and not social.

When I'm in Fe mode, I seem very social, I know exactly what to say, what to do, what people mean etc.

Due to my Fe skills, I find many people think I like them, when I'm in social-mode, when I do in fact not care for them. I'm just being pleasant, making small talk and being civil.

As a kid, I learned quickly that people take being called a friend very seriously, despite (in my opinion) not doing much to deserve being called such a thing. So like all INFJs, I'm picky with who I let close to me. But as a naturally reserved person, if I give any personal information away to others, they often interpret this as suddenly meaning I trust them and that we're friends - when this couldn't be further from the truth.
The same thing happens to me. I love your 'Ni mode'/'Fe mode' distinction.

3. I am very strategic, mostly unconsciously.

And my Ni is so amoral that I occasionally have moments of theorising what it would be like to use this information against them. Since I'm Fe driven and I think, quite easy-going and not a complete cunt - I don't. But in a few arguments (something I do not invite nor enjoy) where people have corned me, not letting me get away from them during the end of a relationship, I have used information I've deduced from them, repeated it back to them and I have made many people cry. I don't like when it comes to that, but it's a sure-fire way of getting someone who is harassing you to never be able to look you in the eye again after repeating their deepest fears back to their consciousness.
When I'm really upset, I get in what I think is an Ni-Fi (subconscious Fi) mode, a really dark mode, and I get these terrible ideas, like filling up someone's house with bugs. I usually calm down before I get to act lol.

5. Like many INFJs, I believe we are closer to INTJs or ISFJs in behaviour than we are with INFPs. We share functions with the former, none with the latter and it is reflected in our behaviour because INFJs have a weak Se like INTJs, are driven by Ni like INTJs and Fe secondly like ISFJs. And we are most certainly Js in comparison to INFPs who tend to be more obviously Ps than we are obviously Js. They are far more go with the flow than we are, in general.
I get a very different vibe from thinkers, probably because of all this temperament thing, so it's quite difficult for me to identify as close to thinkers at this point of my life. Last year, when I was in college using my Ti a lot and thought I was a thinker, it was different, but now that I use Fe so much —at work, and because I have more of a social life now that I don't study anymore— I feel like they are really different.

We're a weird type.
True

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yea i am pretty good at understanding my own feelings. but i understand my own feelings through a third person point of view.
I hadn't realized but I think I also do this. I will have to analyze it further, though. Thanks for bringing that up!

yea i can be showy but not i am not fake. i don't go around pretending that i am awesome, i try my best to be awesome =P

Same! I guess it's our Ni high criteria —for us and for others.

I think our experiences are really similar, —or so it seems— except I'd never get mistaken for an extrovert at work: I go there, I am pleasant to everybody, both customers and coworkers, but I am pretty reserved. I don't think close friends think of me as a really extroverted person either, but some might think I could be an extrovert because of them being more introverted than me. I think most of my close friends are IxFJs or ISxPs and the like; that is —unless I've made a mistake— people with auxiliary Fe or Se, which makes them really hectic at parties. So introverts during the daytime; "extroverts" during the nighttime! However, I could definitely come across as an extrovert during a party, at a bar, when meeting someone new…

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
1. I'm not caring

Me

I have the opposite sort of friends lol. I'm not complaining, though: I like my counselor role —except when I become more like a parental figure!

What do you think?
Oh, for sure, given the low quality of some of the articles that you can find online.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
I unconsciously do this all the time, but not in such a precise manner. I am pretty terrible with details —it's apparently quite common among INFJs— and just remember general patterns, sometimes quite crazy, like 'this should be my go-to person if I ever kill someone'. Totally Ni.

The same thing happens to me. I love your 'Ni mode'/'Fe mode' distinction.

When I'm really upset, I get in what I think is an Ni-Fi (subconscious Fi) mode, a really dark mode, and I get these terrible ideas, like filling up someone's house with bugs. I usually calm down before I get to act lol.

I get a very different vibe from thinkers, probably because of all this temperament thing, so it's quite difficult for me to identify as close to thinkers at this point of my life. Last year, when I was in college using my Ti a lot and thought I was a thinker, it was different, but now that I use Fe so much —at work, and because I have more of a social life now that I don't study anymore— I feel like they are really different.

True
The only thing I have to add is I totally agree with your experience of whilst being social at work - you feel more in tuned with your Fe because the situation calls for it.

While when I'm at university, like now, I feel most in tune with my Ti in contrast - and I'm a lot more solitary, analytical and speculative. Each function has its moment :D

But Ni will always be my baaaaby :laughing:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My answer won't do me justice right now since I'm about to eat.
<3
I need to start using this excuse.

Perhaps because INFJs vary so much as people that I'm increasingly becoming uncomfortable with the preconceived notions people have about me, before asking for clarification on how I feel about a topic - they've assumed with me being an INFJ that they already know how I 'should' feel if I am to fit what they have read about INFJ
That's why I never say I'm an INFJ or bring the whole MBTI theory up.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
* I have absolutely no freaking idea what my feelings really are until I've expressed it and I can look at it "out there".
I do -always- know what my impressions & thoughts are. Self-awareness is a big deal in my book.
Emotions factor in as something else, something to be parented and managed so they don't interfere with the larger picture. Which they do anyway no matter how hard I try, because - feeler.
It has already happened to me to start romantically liking someone after I've told a friend that I might have feelings for that person. Like, I couldn't figure it out before expressing it. It has also happened that I go and tell someone I have feelings for him… and they just like disappear while I'm telling him —probably because they were never really there in the first place. It's all good nowadays because I now talk everything out with my bffs before I go and say something to my alleged crushes lol

Note: "Subconscious", not "Unconscious"... When you're unconscious you are probably dreaming :tongue:
I might forget it again —I have taken Psychoanalysis and Cognitive psychology courses, so I know for a fact that this distinction was really clear to me at one point— but thanks! :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I've done a double rainbow once, but it takes a lot of durian to get there.
:laughing:

Pretty much everyone likes me.
I also think almost everyone —if not everyone!— likes me. Might or might not be true. I must have like zero enemies, although I hate more than 75% of the people I know once I have to spend time with them.

For me it's more like "this is situation X [say, a funeral] and humans are supposed to feel Y here so I'll make face Z but I'm mostly just feeling a pressing need for solitude with all of this emotional energy in the air".
I love acting. I also have genuine feelings… sometimes… I think [kidding]

1 - 20 of 26 Posts