Personality Cafe banner

How well can you "read" people?

5K views 9 replies 10 participants last post by  MegaTuxRacer 
#1 ·
although im not as naturally in tune with people as an ESFP somehow i can easily:

-Finish peoples sentences

- Subconsciously analyze people's motivation and actions( these observations usually come to mind randomly sometime later)

- read interpersonal dynamics between people

- can tell when somethings "off" with people

- immediately sense contradictions between what people say and their body language.

it think it might be Ne+Fe with a dash of Ti

any experiences?

#2 ·
during my teachers lectures i'll often finish their sentence in my mind and they'll use the same words as I thought. It kind of freaks me out how I can finish people sentences sometimes....

#4 ·
I don't really pay attention to people very closely a lot of the time, but sometimes it doesn't even matter---I pick up on these subtle cues that I can't even explain really; the best way to describe it is an incongruity between the person's overall personality and their behavior/words at that time. I just *know* something is wrong, even if I can't really put my finger on why. And I guess it's true that I can tell if a person is being dishonest in the same way.

I find it very difficult to ignore these cues also---I always have to explore it deeper, sometimes to my detriment.

#5 ·
It's because most people are predictable. However it rarely happens to me that someone finishes my sentences, so I guess I'm just unpredictable, OR people just don't listen when I talk :D

I like to think that I have a talent for seeing potential people though.

#7 ·
Sounds about right. I love freaking people out by knowing stuff without being told. For instance, the other day, and ESFJ was talking about eating popcorn. "How was the movie Footloose?" I asked. I knew she had seen because I deduced from the popcorn that she had been to the cinema, and then, because of her personality, I knew that Footloose was the only movie out that she would watch. Or people text me "Can I ask you a Question?" and I answer the question without them asking it.

Stuff like this happens all the time.

#8 ·
I have a tendency to finish people's thoughts for them. I tend to be several steps ahead of most people and I think I subconsciously finish their sentences for them in an effort to get them to catch up so I don't have to wait for them. It really pisses off a lot of SJs when they are trying to go from step one to step two and I jump strait to step 7.

I can usually tell when something is wrong with someone, but I will rarely act on it unless the person comes out and says what's wrong. I can tell when you're mad about something and will usually be able to figure out why, but if you don't tell me why you're upset then you can sit and brew over it. People get so upset over trivial things and I really can't bring myself to care about trivial things.

#10 ·
- Subconsciously analyze people's motivation and actions( these observations usually come to mind randomly sometime later)
Yeah, but it happens after-the-fact. Once I have had the chance to analyze a situation in my head, I can tell you whether someone's motivations are genuine or nefarious.

- read interpersonal dynamics between people
Yep. I am really good at this. I can tell who likes who, who hates who, etc. just from body language.

- can tell when somethings "off" with people
Yep. I doubt myself with complete strangers, but I generally get a good idea of if someone is in a tough time.

- immediately sense contradictions between what people say and their body language.
Yep. With close friends I will call them on it, but otherwise, I will just take them at their word regardless of intuition. That's not to say that I believe them, but it's just following their clear message of, "I don't want to talk about it."

The main thing I have noticed is that people don't want to be read out of fear of vulnerability. It amazes me how many people think they have the upper hand on me because I simply don't call them on their shit. They think I believe all of the lies they feed me. I guess people think I just have all of my shit together. That's definitely not the case though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.