Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been lurking around some of the other personality forums, and came across a few that had to do with processing speed in conversations/under pressure. Specifically, some claim that introverts (or at least most of them) aren't very quick in conversation (despite the fact they may well have genius I.Q's, etc.). I'm curious about the claim, as I myself suffer from the "Oh, I Could've Said That Five Minutes Ago!" disorder.

So, what do you think? True? False? Half-Truth? Total bull-crap? What?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Yah I used to have that disorder. It just takes practice. No, it did not come to me naturally. I watched a lot of comedians and talked to a lot of people and it was exhausting work (emotionally draining as an introvert), but I wanted to be a better conversationist.

I have to say I don't think fast on my feet. I always need to take a moment to stop (talking about real situations, not just conversation). I wish there was a way that I could keep calm in my mind without having to show other people that I need a break.

·
Registered
9,437 Posts
I don't know if this has to do with introversion or type... maybe cognitive functions sort of? I think extremely well on my feet. My brain is like super-fast, and somehow it always comes up with the perfect response right before the person finishes saying their bit (I'm extremely high Ne, so I tend to know exactly what someone's going to say about 2-5 words ahead). It seems like most people with a highly developed Ne are good at making things up on the spot, whether they're fully extroverted or just introverted with multiple developed functions.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
I can't brag about my Ne, but to me, quick/witty answers result from practice. It's not that I couldn't think of things to say, they just weren't adapted to the situation, so to speak.
I also lose the wittyness if I haven't been very social for a while, and it takes me a couple of hours to rebuild it.

Other kinds of thinking on my feet depend on the situation. I'm not a real time strategist at all. Juggling tasks for workers as they pop up is a complete nightmare for me, for example. On the other hand, regular troubleshooting based on seeing the situation and how to fix it comes very natural to me.

·
Registered
249 Posts
in marti olsen laneys book the introvert advantage she states that our brain process stimulation diffrently compared to how extroverts process stimulation. It is interesting that although intorverts brains are buzzing all the time, too much andrenaline and glucose leaves intoverts feeling wiped out whereas with extroverts, this makes them feel good, so no wonder they are always on their feet and dont want to stop. It doesnt mean though that introverts can't think on their feet, this would depend on their area of expertise. It doesnt also mean that just because extroverts can think on their feet the results are always productive. I work as a social worker and i do crisis intervention all the time, im very good at making quick decisions and thinking on my feet because this is my area of expertise. But put me in a meeting, with the whole social work team and everyone talking, its too much stimulation for me, i usually have to write down in advance what i want to discuss or tell people ill think about what they have said and get back to them.

·
Banned
70 Posts
I'm very good at thinking on my feet, and so is my dad. We're INTJ and ENTJ, so we both work with quite a bit of Te and Ni. I'm a very introverted person. I'm not shy, and talking to people doesn't bother me, but I get drained from dealing with people all the time and I prefer spending time alone. My dad once made a joke that I could live in my room for a week by myself and come out completely unfazed. Being introverted doesn't necessarily mean that you can't talk to people or even that you don't enjoy talking to people, it means that you prefer your own company over other people. Like anything else, it's just a preference. I think some introverts for that reason are probably considered more "extroverted" - the people who don't mind speaking to others, who aren't shy, who can say the proper things. When I was a kid everybody used to think I was outgoing because I would say anything to anyone. Those people are probably quicker on their feet than the "average" introvert.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Well, we know where it lies then. Proficiency in Extraverted Sensing and Intuition are correlated with capacity for real time tactics, whether actual or mental. Smooth talking and being quick on your feet are only a part of strategy.. you need to predict that sort of thing and use people's intuitions against them if you want to beat them.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
I doubt it's true for all Introverts. Some may not enjoy the company of others for other reasons. I know I'm not terribly quick... but it doesn't bother me. I prefer observing the conversation rather than being a part of it.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I think it depends on the situation. In everyday conversation, I usually take my time and think about it before I open my mouth. Unless I'm joking with a close friend who I have a rythym with, then the comebacks come quick.

Also, if the "thinking on your feet" requires just an action or physical movement, rather than conversation, I'm usually very quick. I don't think, I just act, in this case.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I do sarcasm pretty dang well, and I can debate. Does that count? :3

·
Registered
99 Posts
I'm absolutely terrible at thinking on my feet. My solution is to be good at finding ways to not have to think on my feet.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I'm not too good at thinking on my feet. I'll think of stuff I should have said hours after the event.
In some cases, when I make stuff up on the spot, i can almost feel my brain connecting the dots, searching for the words etc. I try to disguise some of the time taken with few "uhms" and "ers".
I really envy people who can come up with witty comebacks, comments spontaneously.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I'm good enough in joking situations though I can still think of comebacks hours later that would have been better. I have an anxiety problem. When coupled with situations that I find upsetting such as dealing with an ongoing problem at work, I am no good with quick responses because the confrontation is just too much for me. I know the problem with confrontation is listed as common among INFPs.

·
Registered
183 Posts
'thinking' on feet is one bit of a foggy description :S;
I'm hopeless at quick word retorting or jokes, I need a lot of time (sometimes whole seconds) to phrase what I want to say although the answer-thing is clear in my mind often when the asking is yet not finished...more, I dont' like at all speaking while thinking and I don't like _saying_ something I don't mind, (I am a lot less careful posting and chatting), so this takes time.

On the other hand - and this according to everyone happened to be with me in a crisis, I never realized until told - I'm very good in making the quickest decision which will turn out 'right' or at least for the zero damage...if only you don't freeze me asking why and what and if. XD

Third, I'm pretty sure that the time I'll need to steer off and avoid a car I'll not return on PerC to write it.

All of these situations are 'thinking on feet' and all are, I think, perfectly compatible with my being a strong introvert, so I second who said it's more a function related matter: not simply your 'thinking', but how much any Introvert developed its Te+Fe (debating), Ne or Ni (quick decisions), Se (in driving)

Ah, all the functions in the previous paragraph are examples and first guessing but you got the idea.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I can think pretty fast on my feet if the conversation is lighthearted, but if I am upset, my words leave me and I only focus on how to control my feelings. So basically I have a really hard time telling people off if they are trying to argue with me- it never happens. (except with close family members) I usually think of what I should have said later and then kick myself for not having said it.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts