Personality Cafe banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As for me, I like to think I do well in interviews as I actually am never nervous. Interviewers often ask If I am nervous and I just tell them yes even though I'm calm as a still pond. I stumble on those catch 22 questions that I have never prepared for (Not like I prepare anyways, more winging it than anything).

As an ISTP I find that I often answer the questions without much depth and find it hard to communicate what I am actually thinking, often giving out what we are good at (one-liners). The only way I prepare for interviews is if I come up with 3-4 preplanned stories that I can use in conjunction with almost any question they will hit me with and prepare for the easy questions like what are your strengths.

I know an ISTP member here talked about interviews with Clint Eastwood, Meg Ryan and Daniel Craig. I often think that's how I'm like in my job interviews, having difficulty articulating my thoughts even though I've gone through loads of interviews in the past.

Share with me your thoughts and experiences. How did you prepare or deal with difficulty in your choice of words?

·
Registered
743 Posts
I'm pretty good with interviews. The other person wants answers to their questions and I answer them the best I can, watching their body language to see if I'm boring them or saying the "wrong" thing.

I don't fuss much about making a mistake or two, we're human, it happens.

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
I can only remember one job interview, way back when. I came across as a bit of a loser in the interview but I got the job anyway.

If I did a job interview today, I'm sure it would go badly. I think I've forgotten how to speak coherently due to lack of practice.
:)

·
Registered
126 Posts
I rather enjoy interviews, both on the giving and receiving end. Even better if the interviewer is easygoing, laid back and able to play off my more blunt "providing the facts" approach.

And yes, I also rehearse several stories which I know will fit in properly to several possible questions or scenarios. They are usually creative/interesting enough that they flow naturally and don't sound scripted.

Once in awhile I'll find myself stumbling and searching for the "right word". I've found that after reading and writing more in the past few months, my vocabulary has opened up to a point where my options are laid out in front of me so I'm doing less "searching". As an aside, this is also quite evident while writing/blogging as well.

I actually practice interviewing myself quite a bit (sometimes in front of a mirror, sometimes not). You need to be honest with yourself and be able to answer the "tough" questions, which are inevitable in most cases. Another strategy I try to use is to steer the interviewer in a particular direction that plays to my strengths.

·
MOTM June 2010
2,507 Posts
I think that interviews take a great deal of Se (observance of non-verbal cues, physically getting in-synch with the interviewer(s), being direct and no non-sense somewhat, etc.). I think that any introvert would rehearse somewhat, but if we are confident in our knowledge, skills and ability it should be a piece-of-cake. I think what throws me is when a question comes from out of left field that requires a bit Fi, i.e., how do you feel about....? I think to my self, oh shit improvise quick.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I've never had a problem with interviews. I may feel a bit nervous, but every employer that has hired me said that my interview solidified their decision to hire me. Apparently I give off the vibe that I'm very comfortable with everyone, like I've known them for some time, and that I seem laid back. (Although, I think part of this is helped by being a good looking female interviewing for engineering jobs...) My strategy for interviews, that has worked wonders (this may be different for males) is to NOT talk. Only answer questions they ask, or ask them questions back to get them talking about the job. The more you can get them talking about themselves and what they do, the more comfortable they will feel. Bonus--you don't have to worry much about talking! Works like a charm for me. Also, I don't really think about my posture, I just sit how I normally would (kind of relaxed), so I guess it adds to the "easy to get along with" vibe. I think Se is definitely involved, and since I always apply for engineering/analyst jobs, there aren't any Fi type questions! *whew*

The only interviews I flunk at are when they start asking me technical questions that I don't know the answers to (apparently they think all Math majors know object oriented programming..... uhhhhh, no. That was not on my resume.) If they don't ask me direct questions, I can usually fake answers, or ask them a couple questions back until they basically answer it for me without realizing it. :laughing:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts