Personality Cafe banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
5,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yo I'm new to the world of personality types but 93% of this stuff that they talk about on a lot of these websites (personalitypage is the one I am quoting) is all me. And I was just wondering how close some of this stuff relates to the rest of you.

INTPs live rich worlds inside their minds, which are full of imagination and excitement. Consequently, they sometimes find the external world pales in comparison.INTPs are not likely to have a very large circle of significant relationships in their lives. They're much more likely to have a few very close relationships, which they hold in great esteem and with great affection.Once the INTP has committed themself to a relationship, they tend to be very faithful and loyal, and form affectionate attachments which are pure and straight-forward. The INTP has no interest or understanding of game-playing with regards to relationships.

INTP strengths:
They feel love and affection for those close to them which is almost childlike in its purity
Generally laid-back and easy-going, willing to defer to their mates
Approach things which interest them very enthusiastically
Richly imaginative and creative
Do not feel personally threatened by conflict or criticism (however it says later that we tend to sweet conflicts under the rug, which I certainly do)
Usually are not demanding, with simple daily needs

INTP weaknesses:
Not naturally in tune with others' feelings; slow to respond to emotional needs
Not naturally good at expressing their own feelings and emotions
Tend to be suspicious and distrusting of others (high school's fault for that)
Not usually good at practical matters, such as money management, unless their work involves these concerns
They have difficulty leaving bad relationships
Tend to "blow off" conflict situations by ignoring them, or else they "blow up" in heated anger

INTPs approach their intimate relationships quite seriously - as they approach most things in life. They take their vows and commitments seriously, and are usually faithful and loyal. They are usually pretty easy to live with and be around, because they have simple daily needs and are not overly demanding of their partners in almost any respect. While the INTP's internal life is highly theoretical and complex, their external life in comparison is usually quite simple. They like to keep the complexities of their external world to a minimum, so that they can focus their brain power on working through their theories internally. This makes them very straight-forward, honest lovers, with a love that is quite pure in its simple, uncomplicated nature.

Although they choose to keep things straight-forward in their relationships, this does not mean that the INTP is lacking in depth of feeling or passion. The INTP is very creative person, who has vivid imaginations. They can be very excitable and passionate about their love relationships. Sometimes, they have a problem reconciling the exciting visions of their internal worlds with the actuality of their external circumstances.

INTPs do not like to deal with messy complications, such as interpersonal conflict, and so they may fall into the habit of ignoring conflict when it occurs. If they feel they must face the conflict, they're likely to approach it from an analytical perspective.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Especially true = bold
Not true = red

INTPs live rich worlds inside their minds, which are full of imagination and excitement. Consequently, they sometimes find the external world pales in comparison. INTPs are not likely to have a very large circle of significant relationships in their lives. They're much more likely to have a few very close relationships, which they hold in great esteem and with great affection.Once the INTP has committed themself to a relationship, they tend to be very faithful and loyal, and form affectionate attachments which are pure and straight-forward. The INTP has no interest or understanding of game-playing with regards to relationships. (I do, however, love to flirt and play games when establishing a relationship with someone, and enjoy a healthy sense of child-like play throughout.)

INTP strengths:
They feel love and affection for those close to them which is almost childlike in its purity

Do not feel personally threatened by conflict or criticism (Depends -- I don't mind criticism but I dislike conflict involving me)

INTP weaknesses:
Not naturally in tune with others' feelings; slow to respond to emotional needs (I think I'm pretty good at sensing others' feelings when I'm trying, but I may not be inclined to respond...)
Tend to be suspicious and distrusting of others (I think most people are okay)
Not usually good at practical matters, such as money management, unless their work involves these concerns
Tend to "blow off" conflict situations by ignoring them, or else they "blow up" in heated anger

INTPs approach their intimate relationships quite seriously - as they approach most things in life. They take their vows and commitments seriously, and are usually faithful and loyal. They are usually pretty easy to live with and be around, because they have simple daily needs and are not overly demanding of their partners in almost any respect. While the INTP's internal life is highly theoretical and complex, their external life in comparison is usually quite simple. They like to keep the complexities of their external world to a minimum, so that they can focus their brain power on working through their theories internally. This makes them very straight-forward, honest lovers, with a love that is quite pure in its simple, uncomplicated nature.

Although they choose to keep things straight-forward in their relationships, this does not mean that the INTP is lacking in depth of feeling or passion. The INTP is very creative person, who has vivid imaginations. They can be very excitable and passionate about their love relationships. Sometimes, they have a problem reconciling the exciting visions of their internal worlds with the actuality of their external circumstances.

INTPs do not like to deal with messy complications, such as interpersonal conflict, and so they may fall into the habit of ignoring conflict when it occurs. If they feel they must face the conflict, they're likely to approach it from an analytical perspective.

·
Banned
5,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea and I forgot to add that INTP's are basically big kids themselves lol thanks for reminding me. I know that I am basically a big kid, but an INTP type of big kid without all of the crying/emotions/etc. But I do love to laugh and I have a very childlike sense of justice with a hard ass' sense of punishment.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
That is me. You could replace "INTP" with "Zombie Jesus" and it would be perfectly accurate (well, it's a bit succinct, so it's missing a bit of detail, and a few factors are missing, but what's there is right).

Reactions: Peerless and L

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Normal Text = True of me.
Red = Not true of me.
Bold = Added commentary

INTPs live rich worlds inside their minds, which are full of imagination and excitement. Consequently, they sometimes find the external world pales in comparison. This may result in a lack of motivation to form and maintain relationships. INTPs are not likely to have a very large circle of significant relationships in their lives. They're much more likely to have a few very close relationships, which they hold in great esteem and with great affection. Since the INTP's primary focus and attention is turned inwards, aimed towards seeking clarity from abstract ideas, they are not naturally tuned into others' emotional feelings and needs. They tend to be difficult to get to know well, and hold back parts of themselves until the other person has proven themselves "worthy" of hearing the INTP's thoughts. Holding Knowledge and Brain Power above all else in importance, the INTP will choose to be around people who they consider to be intelligent. Once the INTP has committed themself to a relationship, they tend to be very faithful and loyal, and form affectionate attachments which are pure and straight-forward. The INTP has no interest or understanding of game-playing with regards to relationships. However, if something happens which the INTP considers irreconciliable, they will leave the relationship and not look back. (Duh, that's what irreconciliable means.)

Strengths:
Do not feel personally threatened by conflict or criticism (I'm not threatened by conflict, but praise and criticism strongly effect me -- though it doesn't seem to)

INTP weaknesses:
Not naturally in tune with others' feelings; slow to respond to emotional needs (I have a reputation for being extremely compassionate. It's my own feelings that I can't deal with.
Tend to be suspicious and distrusting of others
Not usually good at practical matters, such as money management, unless their work involves these concerns (I'm terrible with figuring out mechanical things, but otherwise I don't have this difficulty)

·
Registered
856 Posts
Not true.
Very true.
True.
Personal commentary.

INTPs live rich worlds inside their minds, which are full of imagination (I don't consider myself particularly imaginative. I do have an AU in my mind, but I wouldn't describe it as imaginative) and excitement. Consequently, they sometimes find the external world pales in comparison. INTPs are not likely to have a very large circle of significant relationships in their lives. They're much more likely to have a few very close relationships, which they hold in great esteem and with great affection. Once the INTP has committed themself to a relationship, they tend to be very faithful and loyal, and form affectionate attachments which are pure and straight-forward. The INTP has no interest or understanding of game-playing with regards to relationships. (I really don't understand why people do that. Although, this is probably the wrong place to ask for enlightenment.)

INTP strengths:
They feel love and affection for those close to them which is almost childlike in its purity. (I don't know if the way I love is child-like. I don't know how everyone else feels love.)
Generally laid-back and easy-going, willing to defer to their mates.
Approach things which interest them very enthusiastically.
Richly imaginative and creative.
Do not feel personally threatened by conflict or criticism. (How I feel about being criticised depends upon the scenario. If it's constructive then it's fine. If it's a personal attack, then I'm aware of my faults. I don't need them highlighted, thank you very much. I try to take it on the chin though.)
Usually are not demanding, with simple daily needs.

INTP weaknesses:
Not naturally in tune with others' feelings; slow to respond to emotional needs.
Not naturally good at expressing their own feelings and emotions.
Tend to be suspicious and distrusting of others.
Not usually good at practical matters, such as money management, unless their work involves these concerns.
They have difficulty leaving bad relationships.
Tend to "blow off" conflict situations by ignoring them, or else they "blow up" in heated anger. (I live by a "if I ignore it, it'll go away" kind of philosophy. If it doesn't go away, then I do have a tendency to blow up.)

INTPs approach their intimate relationships quite seriously - as they approach most things in life. (I don't think I'm that serious. Only with important things.) They take their vows and commitments seriously, and are usually faithful and loyal. They are usually pretty easy to live with and be around, because they have simple daily needs and are not overly demanding of their partners in almost any respect. While the INTP's internal life is highly theoretical and complex, their external life in comparison is usually quite simple. They like to keep the complexities of their external world to a minimum, so that they can focus their brain power on working through their theories internally. This makes them very straight-forward, honest lovers, with a love that is quite pure in its simple, uncomplicated nature.

INTPs do not like to deal with messy complications, such as interpersonal conflict, and so they may fall into the habit of ignoring conflict when it occurs (Guilty as charged). If they feel they must face the conflict, they're likely to approach it from an analytical perspective.

·
Banned
113 Posts
Red = True
Blue = False
Green = Not Sure

INTPs live rich worlds inside their minds, which are full of imagination and excitement. Consequently, they sometimes find the external world pales in comparison.INTPs are not likely to have a very large circle of significant relationships in their lives. They're much more likely to have a few very close relationships, which they hold in great esteem and with great affection.Once the INTP has committed themself to a relationship, they tend to be very faithful and loyal, and form affectionate attachments which are pure and straight-forward. The INTP has no interest or understanding of game-playing with regards to relationships.

INTP strengths:
Do not feel personally threatened by conflict or criticism (I can sometimes perceive conflict or criticism as a personal attack, but not always -- it really depends on the circumstances)

INTP weaknesses:
Tend to be suspicious and distrusting of others

They have difficulty leaving bad relationships (Fortunately, I have no experience with this -- my first relationship still continues 5 years after it began)

INTPs do not like to deal with messy complications, such as interpersonal conflict, and so they may fall into the habit of ignoring conflict when it occurs. If they feel they must face the conflict, they're likely to approach it from an analytical perspective. (When I'm challenged, I don't back down -- so I don't avoid confrontation per se, but instead welcome it as a mental challenge, and when I do deal with it, I'm very analytical about it)

[As with Zombie_Jesus, this description is almost perfectly accurate in describing me.]

·
Banned
5,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Red = True
Blue = False

They have difficulty leaving bad relationships (Fortunately, I have no experience with this -- my first relationship still continues 5 years after it began)

INTPs do not like to deal with messy complications, such as interpersonal conflict, and so they may fall into the habit of ignoring conflict when it occurs. If they feel they must face the conflict, they're likely to approach it from an analytical perspective. (When I'm challenged, I don't back down)
First off gratz on your relationship, and yea I know what you mean about not backing down. I'm the same way although mostly with sports or something. But for me it's about the prospect of being in a competition which is why I love being physically active such as sports or even one on one fighting even, it's about winning that competition for me.

·
Banned
113 Posts
First off gratz on your relationship, and yea I know what you mean about not backing down. I'm the same way although mostly with sports or something. But for me it's about the prospect of being in a competition which is why I love being physically active such as sports or even one on one fighting even, it's about winning that competition for me.
To me, it's not about winning; it's just a challenge. And often times, I'm pretty sure that I'm correct.
If I'm not confident, I won't create conflict. It's like a lawyer who feels that his client has a strong case (and if the client truly was wronged). I assess/evaluate the situation initially and I either feel that there's an erroneous statement I must correct, or I think the person may actually be correct (even if I'm not too sure). So if I do think there's a violation of some sort, I'll be more inclined to go in and challenge the other party with these strict criticisms. Then the challenge comes in. I try to work toward substantiating why I thought the other party was in error. And like a courtroom, I'm either correct or I'm not, persuasive or impersuasive, but to me it's getting down to the bottom of things that matters, not just winning a petty argument. If I do win, it's really great, and while I don't like losing, it's not really a big deal. I just enjoy searching for truth and rooting out errors and falseties!

I pretty much relate to this statement by Kerisey almost 100% when he's describing INTP's:

Like the ENTPs, INTPs are devastating in debate or any form of adversarial discussion, their skill in differential analysis giving them an enormous advantage in discrediting their opponents' arguments and in structuring their own. They regard all discussions as a search for understanding, and believe their function is to eliminate inconsistencies, no matter who is guilty of them.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
I want to use colors too! Alright red is affirmative, blue is negative, green is unknown and I'll just leave my own stuff in good ol' black. Wait, how do I do colors? This might take me a while, I know I used to know this. Oh, it has an options bar. That makes things easier.

INTPs live rich worlds inside their minds, which are full of imagination and excitement. Consequently, they sometimes find the external world pales in comparison.INTPs are not likely to have a very large circle of significant relationships in their lives. They're much more likely to have a few very close relationships, which they hold in great esteem and with great affection. Once the INTP has committed themself to a relationship, they tend to be very faithful and loyal, and form affectionate attachments which are pure and straight-forward. (How can I know this if I've never had the chance to be in a serious relationship. I'd like to think I'd be loyal and all that, but until I've actually been in that kind of environment I could never know for sure!) The INTP has no interest or understanding of game-playing with regards to relationships. (Also, I'm not sure if I'm for or against it. When I'm not involved I kind of find the feuds and social drama of others to be quite fascinating actually.)

INTP strengths:
They feel love and affection for those close to them which is almost childlike in its purity I'm pretty naive, but I'm not so innocent that I blush at the slightest reference to sex.
Approach things which interest them very enthusiastically Not as much as I used to. Even things I used to think were fun and exciting, or intriguing or whatever have been pretty boring lately. Except thinking about the fantastic! That never gets dull.
Do not feel personally threatened by conflict or criticism

INTP weaknesses:
Tend to be suspicious and distrusting of others I like to think I'm actually very trusting. Sometimes I imagine that people are out to get me and paranoid things that are ridiculous... but I know that that's all it is, and that no one has any reason to come after me or hold anything against me. I don't do anything to hurt anyone so why should anyone want to harm me?
They have difficulty leaving bad relationships I have never been in any kind of relationship, let alone a bad one. So I cannot be sure of what I'd do.

INTPs approach their intimate relationships quite seriously - as they approach most things in life. They take their vows and commitments seriously, and are usually faithful and loyal.They are usually pretty easy to live with and be around, because they have simple daily needs and are not overly demanding of their partners in almost any respect. While the INTP's internal life is highly theoretical and complex, their external life in comparison is usually quite simple. They like to keep the complexities of their external world to a minimum, so that they can focus their brain power on working through their theories internally. This makes them very straight-forward, honest lovers, with a love that is quite pure in its simple, uncomplicated nature. Alright so there is a lot of uncertainty with me when it comes to relationships. Although I know that I ask for little and I probably don't voice my needs loudly enough. I'd say that in a relationship me being undemanding would be a strong hypothesis. Not sure that's necessarily the best trait, Okay moving on, I have some blue in there, because it's implying that I take things seriously. I hate taking things seriously, and I think that works for an INTP because it puts a lot of distance between myself other people and in a way it's just another way to keep myself from being too subjective, and I hate when I start letting my emotions and feelings over power what is otherwise logical or reasonable.

Although they choose to keep things straight-forward in their relationships, this does not mean that the INTP is lacking in depth of feeling or passion. The INTP is very creative person, who has vivid imaginations.] They can be very excitable and passionate about their love relationships Sometimes, they have a problem reconciling the exciting visions of their internal worlds with the actuality of their external circumstances In theory yeah, but I'm not sure how I'd react to an intimate relationship. I think I could be pretty creative but it's really on the fly kind of creative, so in a real live situation I'm not sure how it would play out. Maybe my introversion would get the better of me and I'd never really be able to open up to someone.

NTPs do not like to deal with messy complications, such as interpersonal conflict, and so they may fall into the habit of ignoring conflict when it occurs. If they feel they must face the conflict, they're likely to approach it from an analytical perspective.

Also I have no idea what's wrong with the script that some things did not get their color. I'm sure I could figure it out if I looked at it long enough and perhaps others see exactly what's wrong first glance, but I'm too lazy to figure it out myself.

Reactions: L

·
Registered
224 Posts
I would say this is mostly true for me. Especially the money part. I tend to worry a lot with money, but then I also end up being very impulsive with it, especially when it comes to food or books. Then I just end up feeling guilty for spending it afterward. I tried budgeting and it helped me to see how much I was spending frivolously so it helped me to really cut back, but that doesn't make it any less of a nightmare.

I also especially agree with the no game-playing bit. I tend to skip right to pure ideas. This kinda puts people off from me. I've been described as "intense" because I dispense with polite protocol. Not to say I try to be rude but sometimes it's just easier to get to the point. I often sound like a text book which most might find kinda creepy. :laughing:

I used to have a hard time leaving bad relationships but I think with time and experience I grew out of that.

I don't agree with the feeling threatened about conflict. I tend to stick up for myself, especially fiercely if I think I'm right. I absolutely hate when people put words in my mouth during a debate, and I don't let them get away with it. I tend to like debating too, as long as I think it's fruitful. I don't bother with trolls anymore. It's a waste of time, and I could be spending it researching instead. :)

·
Banned
5,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
They feel love and affection for those close to them which is almost childlike in its purity I'm pretty naive, but I'm not so innocent that I blush at the slightest reference to sex.
I don't think it was talking about sex, I think it was talking about love, you know that obssession you get about some people that is reciprocated. But thank you for posting.

·
Banned
5,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I would say this is mostly true for me. Especially the money part. I tend to worry a lot with money, but then I also end up being very impulsive with it, especially when it comes to food or books. Then I just end up feeling guilty for spending it afterward. I tried budgeting and it helped me to see how much I was spending frivolously so it helped me to really cut back, but that doesn't make it any less of a nightmare.

I also especially agree with the no game-playing bit. I tend to skip right to pure ideas. This kinda puts people off from me. I've been described as "intense" because I dispense with polite protocol. Not to say I try to be rude but sometimes it's just easier to get to the point. I often sound like a text book which most might find kinda creepy. :laughing:

I used to have a hard time leaving bad relationships but I think with time and experience I grew out of that.

I don't agree with the feeling threatened about conflict. I tend to stick up for myself, especially fiercely if I think I'm right. I absolutely hate when people put words in my mouth during a debate, and I don't let them get away with it. I tend to like debating too, as long as I think it's fruitful. I don't bother with trolls anymore. It's a waste of time, and I could be spending it researching instead. :)
It actually says doesn't feel threatend not does feel threatend ^.^ but yes thank for posting and thanks to the rest of you as well. As I said I am curious as I have not met any other INTP before.

·
Banned
5,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don't think it meant sex, I think it meant that feeling people call love. Which I describe love as a feeling of obssession that is reciprocated.

Damn internet screwed up on me, sorry for the double post but I thought my first one got deleted.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I don't think it was talking about sex, I think it was talking about love, you know that obssession you get about some people that is reciprocated. But thank you for posting.
You're right, it does say that. I think I meant to respond to the last part that says that INTPs don't like interpersonal conflict. It's not like I DO like it, I just don't mind it, and am more analytical about it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts