Personality Cafe banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading about the symptoms of those, I think I have ADHD. Anyways most of the people in type me questionnaires type me as one of those types(occasionally INFx), when reading the function descriptions(I usually score high in Ti,Ni,Ne moderate on Te,Fi,Si and low on Se and Fe in cognitive function tests) I could relate to both, personally. So my question is how to determine if you are one of these types if you have ADHD. What are the noticeable differences in these conditions? Also I think I am quite lazy and tend to procrastinate things right until just before the deadline, while at the same time I end up resenting myself for that and not living up to my standards.

·
Registered
INTP
3,909 Posts
I'm INTP. I did a lot of research on ADHD because ISTP ex had it. You've asked an interesting question, and although I don't have the answer, I do have some thoughts about this.

I think an INTJ will have a clearer picture of what they want to accomplish. ADHD will cause failure and frustration, but the INTJ will not lose sight of the actual goal.

An INTP will be less goal oriented and possibly less bothered by difficulties in accomplishing things. The frustration might come more from embarrassment, letting people down, etc., when they don't follow through.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm INTP. I did a lot of research on ADHD because ISTP ex had it. You've asked an interesting question, and although I don't have the answer, I do have some thoughts about this.

I think an INTJ will have a clearer picture of what they want to accomplish. ADHD will cause failure and frustration, but the INTJ will not lose sight of the actual goal.

An INTP will be less goal oriented and possibly less bothered by difficulties in accomplishing things. The frustration might come more from embarrassment, letting people down, etc., when they don't follow through.
Thank you for your answer. I can definitely see myself having clear goals(in quite a bit of cases) and can feel frustrated when I don't do the appropriate steps(following through stuff is pretty similar to this). And also I do feel bad when I let someone else down(in the past) but now I have gotten over that.

·
Registered
11,266 Posts
I'm Intj with an adult son who is intp, and a sister who types i[/e?]ntj and is convinced she's had undiagnosed ad[h?]d all her life. Not exactly objective credentials for commenting, but....

My sister dekes all over the place conversationally. So does my son. My son sees meaning in all the [to me] non-sequiturs that he throws in. To him, we are still on topic. My sister is more like 'Oooh shiny but okay never mind'. Under the flakiness she still shares the same narrow focus as me.

My sister likes conclusions and closure. My son resists them.

My sister told me recently she needs and relies on a series of externally-visible touchpoints both to motivate and reassure herself. 'okay, I'm getting things done, I'm okay'. Accomplishing things gives her a framework to navigate from.

She's very effective professionally but suffering a great deal from the ways covid lockdown has removed those coping frameworks from her. My son seems less troubled as he may be less externally dependent on the first place.

For whatever these thoughts are worth

Reactions: Reginer

·
Beer Guardian
ENTP 5w6 So/Sx 584 ILE Honorary INTJ
15,495 Posts
After reading about the symptoms of those, I think I have ADHD. Anyways most of the people in type me questionnaires type me as one of those types(occasionally INFx), when reading the function descriptions(I usually score high in Ti,Ni,Ne moderate on Te,Fi,Si and low on Se and Fe in cognitive function tests) I could relate to both, personally. So my question is how to determine if you are one of these types if you have ADHD. What are the noticeable differences in these conditions? Also I think I am quite lazy and tend to procrastinate things right until just before the deadline, while at the same time I end up resenting myself for that and not living up to my standards.
You'd be an INTJ with ADHD. An INTP with ADHD would be different. I am an ENTP with ADHD. It is different from an ENTJ with ADHD. What exactly are you expecting?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You'd be an INTJ with ADHD. An INTP with ADHD would be different. I am an ENTP with ADHD. It is different from an ENTJ with ADHD. What exactly are you expecting?
Discussing about this topic can possibly help me narrow down my type. Also it might be interesting to see how this affects different types(if present).

·
Beer Guardian
ENTP 5w6 So/Sx 584 ILE Honorary INTJ
15,495 Posts
Discussing about this topic can possibly help me narrow down my type. Also it might be interesting to see how this affects different types(if present).
I have combined type ADHD (both inattentive and impulsive). I admit, with age and experience, I have gotten much better at managing my symptoms. Now I rarely have issues, unless I am either under extreme stress, sick, or very tired.

Given I operate on Ne/Ti, I'm able to operate on inadequate data (because I'm prone to miss some) and still come up with a viable solution. It works well for certain things and not so well for others. My reading comprehension skills are through the roof, while I struggled with math, because it REQUIRES step-by-step details, and I tend to jump around a bit. I've gotten better with math as I got older. I was trained in math for electronics in the Navy, and I taught myself how to program computers, and learning that logic gave me insight into how to solve math problems. I also work in computers and networking for a living, and I am able to solve complex problems and help people every day. I enjoy my work. There's a certain sort of satisfaction to making sense of things that you have to be able to visualize in your head because a lot of it is virtual.

·
Registered
ISTJ
2,389 Posts
They're too entirely different types, ADHD doesn't make them look alike in any way. It's like saying a cat with rabies may look similar to a raccoon.

·
Registered
11,266 Posts
.. about procrastination, you remind that's another one of the things that my sister mentioned. she says that all her life, she's been able to rely on hyperfocus to keep that 'achievement' thing going for her . . . and now for some reason (we're both in our 50's), it's gone. it's another reason why she is struggling though i don't know what the underlying cause of the change is.

i find that interesting and it's stacked up in my pile of htings-to-thoroughly-talk-about-with-her-some-day. i've been relying on interest for decades myself; i don't have much of a work ethic so that's my alternate. i also don't have adhd, so it would be interesting for me to corner my sister and see if we can figure out how my hyperfocus and hers are different. [mine has been failing me too recently, but in my case i think my priorities have just shifted and/or i'm bored with working itself after a couple decades of it.]

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
.. about procrastination, you remind that's another one of the things that my sister mentioned. she says that all her life, she's been able to rely on hyperfocus to keep that 'achievement' thing going for her . . . and now for some reason (we're both in our 50's), it's gone. it's another reason why she is struggling though i don't know what the underlying cause of the change is.

i find that interesting and it's stacked up in my pile of htings-to-thoroughly-talk-about-with-her-some-day. i've been relying on interest for decades myself; i don't have much of a work ethic so that's my alternate. i also don't have adhd, so it would be interesting for me to corner my sister and see if we can figure out how my hyperfocus and hers are different. [mine has been failing me too recently, but in my case i think my priorities have just shifted and/or i'm bored with working itself after a couple decades of it.]
I have relied on that hyperfocus thing, quite a lot. For some reason, now it doesn't seem to work as good as it did before for me.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Caring about letting people down more than we care about achieving our own goals seems very un-INTP-like.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts