Personality Cafe banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If an individual had an opportunity to save someone's life but had to give up their own in the process, what would the different types consider?

I am a ENTx, slightly leaning towards ENTJ, and I would consider what both myself and the other person could contribute to human kind.

·
MOTM Nov 2010
10,402 Posts
My life is not my own. I have an obligation to stay alive so I can be there for my daughter. But I'd take a bullet for her in a heartbeat.

Reactions: GiGi

·
Banned
2,505 Posts
If it was a stranger, and I only had a split second to decide, I'd probably do it, because I'm impulsive/stupid like that.

I would die in place of my mom or certain friends without even needing that split second.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My life is not my own. I have an obligation to stay alive so I can be there for my daughter. But I'd take a bullet for her in a heartbeat.
That's what I'm saying. Would certain types feel that obligation more strongly than others? And, assuming your daughter is your only child and her father is in her life, would you sacifice yourself to save a mother of four with no father? Would certain types feel that the wellbeing of their own child is more important than the wellbeing of a number of other children?

Of course, thinking very hypothetically here. :happy:

·
Registered
752 Posts
I'm not dying for anybody.
My exact same feeling.

I don't mean for it to be cold, but I'm not going to sacrifice myself so that somebody can live. ...The only way I'll do it is if it's for someone that's very close for me, and after psychoanalyzing the situation from every standpoint, there's no other choice in the matter.

I want us both to live, and I'll do everything in my power to make sure we're both okay.

·
Registered
836 Posts
1) it would depend on the circumstance. ie, saving family members from a intruder in your house would be different than, i dunno, choosing between who gets the last bit of food on a life raft in the middle of the pacific...

2) i would choose self over others unless i was attempting to save someone from imminent death. it would have to be a 'jump in front of the gun' sort of moment though. i would never kill self unless i knew i would save someone. ie, if we're all going to die anyway i dont see the point of self-sacrifice. not sure i could die on principle either. i would rather sell out in the moment and then spend the rest of my life trying to right the wrongs of society

then again, im supposed to be the martyr stereotype. gandhi. so maybe i have that deep down inside me somewhere?

...or not :)

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Maybe it makes me a terrible person, but I cannot think of a single person for whom I'd willingly die. I love my family and those close to me, don't get me wrong, but I come first.

I would think that strong (as in dominant or auxiliary) Fe and Si users, namely, would be the most likely to sacrifice themselves, although there are other more important factors outside of type, to be sure.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
It would depend on the person, and then the degree of pain involved in the dying process. :crazy:

Reactions: Neon Knight
1 - 12 of 12 Posts