Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read elsewhere that there are correlations between MBTI type and measurable intelligence. I have also read that there are not correltaions between MBTI type and intelligence. While I don't really know what to believe about how MBTI type relates to intelligence, I am curious to know what high intelligence looks like in sensing types because I am an intuitive type and I don't really understand the sensing preference that well.

I posted this in the ISFP forum simply because it made sense to pick a sensing-type forum for this question and I therefore had to pick one. As far as I am concerned, any sensing types, (or anyone who has insight into highly-intelligent sensors,) are welcome to answer.

When I think of intelligence, (as it is typically defined and measured by tests,) I think of pattern detection, ability to learn with fewer examples, ability to extrapolate and make accurate abstractions, etc.. How does this effect the sensing functions?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've always been academically successful, but from what I've read on these forums, I seem to be in the minority.

Obviously schooling is not the end all be all of intelligence determination but it's a good indicator of those factors that you listed.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
We ISFPs use extroverted sensing -

Extraverted Sensing occurs when we become aware of what is in the physical world in rich detail. We may be drawn to act on what we experience to get an immediate result. We notice relevant facts and occurrences in a sea of data and experiences, learning all the facts we can about the immediate context or area of focus and what goes on in that context. An active seeking of more and more input to get the whole picture may occur until all sources of input have been exhausted or something else captures our attention. Extraverted Sensing is operating when we freely follow exciting physical impulses or instincts as they come up and enjoy the thrill of action in the present moment. A oneness with the physical world and a total absorption may exist as we move, touch, and sense what is around us. The process involves instantly reading cues to see how far we can go in a situation and still get the impact we want or respond to the situation with presence.
...not sure if thats exactly what you wanted.

I was fairly smart in school (which I think most people on this forum were, since people who don't seek much knowledge probably aren't very interested in what their personality is.) I mean, I took more advanced classes than most people, like AP Calculus (which I got like a 97 or 96 in I think.) I don't think Sensing makes you any less inteligent.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I don't think there's much of a link. ESFPs are given the 'stupid' label, but I have an ESFP friend who is extremely smart. My ESTJ friend is a genius. I know 2 NTs and they are smart but not that smart. So I don't think there is much of a connection. As for ISFPs, I'm a little above average intelligence, but I find it hard to get motivated to study. But IK another ISFP who is extremely smart. So really just depends on the person.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We ISFPs use extroverted sensing -

...not sure if thats exactly what you wanted.
That's fairly close to what I wanted, thanks! If we were to assume that the description of Se would be typical for an average person who uses Se as their dominant function, how would one change that description so that it more accurately describes someone with higher than average intelligence whose dominant function is Se?

I realize that this question, as stated, conveys a notion that I have a specific definition of intelligence in mind, but I"m really asking what an Se definition of intelligence would be.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I think of it this way...

Se and Ne are ways of inputting data...

Fi and Ti are ways of contemplating the data...

Ni and Si are ways of making sense of the data...

and Te and Fe are how we execute the data.

http://personalitycafe.com/articles/50007-hopefully-better-discussion-cognitive-functions.html

And then each personality type has a certain fixation on a specific step of the process of data intake, contemplation, storage and execution.

When it comes down to it, every personality type uses all the same functions to lesser and higher degrees. But intelligence has little to do with any of it.

Maybe intelligence has more to do with proficiency in their particular dominant functions.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
This may sound vague but i don't find anyone stupid and it's not even a case of supporting the underdog. Everyone is intelligent in one way or another. You just have to have an open view of intelligence. Just being good at math/science is i believe a limited field of intelligence. it isn't the end all of it.

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
If I may venture an opinion... IQ does not correlate with MBTI. All types have their geniuses. However, if you rounded up all the geniuses and tested them, the Ne users would test slightly higher because IQ tests favor Ne.

Furthermore, smart people seem smart because of their inferior functions, not their dominant ones. For whatever reason, they develop an interest or even a fascination with one (or both) of their inferior functions. For example a very smart intuitive might develop an interest in sensory observation, facts and details (like the Sherlock Holmes type). Or a very smart thinker might have a highly developed inferior feeling, making them more creative/expressive than the average thinker. Or a feeler could become drawn to the logical world of justice, maybe even become a lawyer (that's just an example, based on someone I know). And in the case of a genius sensor, it's their use of inferior intuition that augments their already excellent abilities.

These are only generalizations, to illustrate that it's not the N or the S that makes a person seem smarter than average. An intuitive with no awareness of sensory will seem just as "limited" as a sensor with no awareness of intuition.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I think intelligent ISFPs have a different type of intelligence than what is valued by society.

Because of Fi, it would be intrapersonal intelligence. This allows highly intelligent ISFPs to analyze our own feelings and figure out the essence of what they mean without getting caught into a depression or some sort of self loathing. When this form of intelligence is high, we have a high self confidence and self worth that can't be bashed or taken down by external opinions or comments. These ISFPs would have strong morals that they would be able to defend without breaking down or taking the discussion to a personal level.

That's my theory anyway. There are a fair number of ISFPs on the forum who are able to do this and I truly admire them.

·
Registered
187 Posts
my IQ is 76. But I don't care, there are many different types if intelligences, like artificial intelligence, potato chips intelligence, bouncing ball intelligence and animal intelligence and dumb joke intelligence and and paranormal intelligence. I am really good at all of those, I score like 2000 on them. so I don't really care that my IQ is 67...

·
Registered
117 Posts
Each type has certain strengths and weaknesses. Some of those strengths can propel an individual to have a thirst for knowledge (the traditional meaning) and perhaps make them seem generally smarter than a different type who doesn't have that same thirst. However not every strength can be measured by society's crude tools.
I do understand exactly what you're asking though and I believe it mostly has to do with the individual. Factors they cannot control, results of their environment, etc.

Reactions: Beefpatrol

·
Registered
368 Posts
I have read elsewhere that there are correlations between MBTI type and measurable intelligence. I have also read that there are not correltaions between MBTI type and intelligence. While I don't really know what to believe about how MBTI type relates to intelligence, I am curious to know what high intelligence looks like in sensing types because I am an intuitive type and I don't really understand the sensing preference that well.

I posted this in the ISFP forum simply because it made sense to pick a sensing-type forum for this question and I therefore had to pick one. As far as I am concerned, any sensing types, (or anyone who has insight into highly-intelligent sensors,) are welcome to answer.

When I think of intelligence, (as it is typically defined and measured by tests,) I think of pattern detection, ability to learn with fewer examples, ability to extrapolate and make accurate abstractions, etc.. How does this effect the sensing functions?
intelligence as measured by the IQ is a somewhat outdated concept because of the biased tests. fortunately, in recent years there has been a trend to put the usual measures of intelligence like pattern recognition and abstraction into different mediums, e.g. giving the tested person actual models of the figures to complete instead of pictures of them.

now, me personally, i think that IQ as a concept is severely lacking in accuracy. to use myself as an example, i did quite a few IQ tests at different ages, due to me having dyscalculia. part of the diagnosis is a IQ test in order to find out wether a person is just lacking in a specialized field of thinking (in my case, numerical abstraction) or simply has a lower IQ. ironically, the very first test used in my case was based on mathematical and logical abstractions, as are most of them in general. my IQ came out as 65.

later, i was retested a few times because i was doing very well in school, which of course didn't line up with the previous assumptions about my intelligence. so, at age 14 i did a word pattern recognition and abstraction IQ test. this time, my IQ came out as 147...

right before finishing school i did one of the model based tests i described previously and i got an IQ of 136 as my result.

my conclusion: my level of intelligence, regardless of whatever it actually is, can not be measured by standard IQ tests as proven by the wildly differing results.

i'd venture to say that quite a few sensors might be in a similar position, where they might posess a very capable mind yet there are no objective ways of measuring it.

·
Banned
1,587 Posts
I agree with you @chibs. I got 117, 125 and 140 in 3 different tests. I'd like to go with the 140 score which put me in the same bracket as nobel peace prize winners and geniuses but who's to say. I think passion for whatever you are doing is far more important than intelligence. Like Einstein said 10% inspiration, 90% perspiration and it is passion that fuels the perspiration bit not intelligence alone.

Reactions: Noctis and chibs

·
Registered
368 Posts
I agree with you @chibs. I got 117, 125 and 140 in 3 different tests. I'd like to go with the 140 score which put me in the same bracket as nobel peace prize winners and geniuses but who's to say. I think passion for whatever you are doing is far more important than intelligence. Like Einstein said 10% inspiration, 90% perspiration and it is passion that fuels the perspiration bit not intelligence alone.
agreed and nothing to add ;)

·
Registered
187 Posts
I think IQ is way overrated. What about character?... Your own character level of integrity. Level of wisdom. Level of maturity. Level of contribution to the world. Level of love. Level of courage. Level of purpose in the world. Level of trustworthiness.. Level of goodness you bring in to the world.

Those are much more important, and THOSE you can change. Not some dumb static number of how well you can do some puzzle. I don't give a damn about that... People boasting about their IQ like it's the size of their penises: "mine is WAAY above average you know..."

By the way, mine happens to be just 4 inches, but only if I'm really horny.

God I love internet. Imagine your boss typing in your name in google and reading this kind of shit! Oh, man!

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
chibs said:
i'd venture to say that quite a few sensors might be in a similar position, where they might posess a very capable mind yet there are no objective ways of measuring it.
Exactly... being able to rearrange letters into words doesn't make me feel particularly intelligent. I feel intelligent when I get an idea of something that I want to happen, and then I find a way to make it happen. I don't see how that could be measured.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts