Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just to get to the point for a sec: I really want to be a musician/singer but honestly have NO clue how to even start and have some major issues with shyness to boot.

I love music so much and I couldn't think of any other job that would make me happier than just creating music for the public day after day. I'm a junior in high school right now, so you may be able to see why I'm worrying about this now. The only thing I want to do is become a musician of mostly any kind: maybe master the bass, guitar, drums, or sing for a band; maybe be a wedding singer or a singer at a bar or club; or maybe even be a musical therapist. I don't really care what, as long as I can create my music.

Now, like I said, the problem is I have no clue who or where to go to in order to have my dream come true. Another important thing to mention is that I'm pretty shy, but am willing to work super hard on reversing that if necessary. So I've come to ask you wise souls: What shall I do and how shall I do it?
  • How would I form a band?
  • How do I find band members?
  • How could I become a wedding singer? Who do I go to?
  • How could I sing at a bar or club? Who do I go to?
  • What majors/minors should I take in college in order to qualify for these jobs?
  • What could I do to get my music known?
  • Do you have any personal experience? Please do share!

Thank you all so much, this means a bunch to me! :)

·
Banned
1,247 Posts
I actually know of some websites that have people looking for band members, maybe you can try googling up "looking for band members" or something similar and you will able to find all the websites that have people looking for band members.
As for wedding singer, bar, or clubs, you can approach the person-in-charge of the area whether you can perform in their area.
But if you are too shy to ask them, then the best way is to find a music agency who are hiring singers for events. They will usually send you to perform for events.
As for majors/minors, I think any majors/minors in music would do. Most importantly is your portfolio. They want to watch some live performance of you performing in front of audiences. I am not sure about majors/minors, I think as long as you study anything that is related to music you would be in the safe zone, but I think most importantly is that live performance video that I am talking about.They want to know that you have some experience in performing in front of people, they want to see your portfolio before hiring you.

And btw I have some dilemma myself too, I have always liked the orchestra and I would like to work in the orchestra one day, how do I get a job performing in the orchestra? Who do I approach? Anybody know how??

I would like to get a job that is something like this. How do I get this job? Who do I approach? Any kind souls here who can help me out with my dilemma? :blushed:

Reactions: GreenAlienXD

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
I would try to specialize in music business related courses or managing. Learning the ins and outs of the industry, it'll give you businsess smarts and a network, or at least teach you how to network and you'll learn what's necessary in every facet of the music business (performance, studio work, songwriting, whatever).

You're trying to make this your JOB, so you have to immerse yourself with a certain degree of professionalism. If you ever do get to the point where you want to be, you can also cut-out the middleman (manager) and maximize your profits and not worry about getting screwed over. If you ever DO want to form a band, you can that later when you've met a lot of established session players.

It's all about who you know and how you conduct yourself. That's it.

I have minimal experience in the music biz, I used to organize a dance event with one of the biggest hardcore electronic music agencies at the time. I'm no authority on it, but I've had a taste of it.

And btw I have some dilemma myself too, I have always liked the orchestra and I would like to work in the orchestra one day, how do I get a job performing in the orchestra? Who do I approach? Anybody know how??

I would like to get a job that is something like this. How do I get this job? Who do I approach? Any kind souls here who can help me out with my dilemma? :blushed:
A friend of mine wanted to play in an orchestra. It was a long time ago and I haven't spoken to him since, but I believe you would want to go to a conservatory, learn the fuck out of your craft, work hard and show it (because everyone wants to work in orchestras, it's an extremely competetive environment) and get noticed at your conservatory. This is where people scout for talent or where you start networking. However, here it's more crucial that you can play well and work HARD, networking is secondary and I wouldn't focus on music industry related courses.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@WinterFox
Just help however I can: If you live in NY or near, you should know that the main place to be for the classical scene is Lincoln Center. There's the Alice Tully Hall, the Juilliard College if you wanna study professionally (they help you with future auditions and aspire to get you somewhere in the art world), and Carnegie Hall is also very close.
If you don't plan on going anywhere near NY though, I'm about 95% positive that there has to be some big classical scene where you live. Maybe try asking around about it or search for places on a map/with GPS?
That's about all I can offer on the subject though :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@Derange At 170
That sounds like a really good idea actually, but would you just recommend taking a class on music business in college (if offered) or something else?
Idk if I mentioned this, but I go to a Performing Arts high school as a Vocal Major so I'm allowed to choose an elective that kinda goes with music business ( they offer recording studio and I think the next semester goes into music
business) but the problem is that I already had to choose my classes (and didn't choose recording studio) and my school has a new policy that disallows us to change our classes after they have been choosen (IT'S SO IRRITATING). I mean, I could always talk to my guidance counsellor about how I'm going to go into music in the future right?

Should I just take music business in college? (Im just a little worried that it might be too late to start in college. I know people in my school who have already been in musicals and bands, but when I try to ask them how they did it, they just
never really respond. Am I that out of touch with how to get through the music industry though? Geez.)

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
@Derange At 170
That sounds like a really good idea actually, but would you just recommend taking a class on music business in college (if offered) or something else?
Idk if I mentioned this, but I go to a Performing Arts high school as a Vocal Major so I'm allowed to choose an elective that kinda goes with music business ( they offer recording studio and I think the next semester goes into music
business) but the problem is that I already had to choose my classes (and didn't choose recording studio) and my school has a new policy that disallows us to change our classes after they have been choosen (IT'S SO IRRITATING). I mean, I could always talk to my guidance counsellor about how I'm going to go into music in the future right?

Should I just take music business in college? (Im just a little worried that it might be too late to start in college. I know people in my school who have already been in musicals and bands, but when I try to ask them how they did it, they just
never really respond. Am I that out of touch with how to get through the music industry though? Geez.)
That's really a step above what I can help you with. You should present the idea to your guidance counselor (getting more into the businsess side of things and ask what he would recommend.

Good luck! Sorry I couldn't be of more help!

Reactions: GreenAlienXD

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
You're thinking about it a bit wrong, imo.

Are you going at it solo? Or with a band? Solo means you have complete control...no creative difference, no conflict.
Bands are harder to work with, but they can provide what you lack. They are a resource source. Also, maybe you just like the people...want to go in it with them.

Getting into a band is as simple as going on to craigslist and posting or responding to an add. You can join one that exists, or you can start one from scratch. That's not too hard. Post flyers. Look to local artist newspaper rags for ads for band members. They're everywhere. Perhaps switch bands a couple times until you're in a situation you like. Or maybe, you'll do it solo? Either/or.

Once you have that sorted out,

First, you need to make your music. Start putting out as many songs as you can. Like 100s of songs. Some artists have more than a 1000 songs. You're going for quantity. Then...as you develop a repertoire...find a way to publish it. We live in 2014, so all you have to do is go to youtube and put it up. Link back to your music everywhere. If you're good...people will find you. Good music is hard to come by...

So, now you have a small base of fans (like maybe 1000) and plenty of music. What next? You blow up.

You find people you respect enough to work with, people who have clout in the industry (other artists & producers & whoever), who'll give you industry exposure. Your music needs to appeal to other artists as much as anyone, enough for them to take you on and work with you. Their fans will then become your fans once you've worked with them.

They'll then discover all that music you've already made. As you're "guest starring" on other songs, they'll follow you to your songs.

That's the blow up. The blow up is when, after people know you from somewhere/someone find that you've already put out albums of quality stuff. You can gain millions of fans at this point, if you're good. You still have to be good, at the end of the day.

Then, you get to go music tours playing for the millions of fans you have, work with other famous artists, etc etc. Basically, you'll have made it.

Sustaining it isn't as easy as blowing up. Ask...any celebrity. Fame is fleeting. Enjoy it while it lasts...and put all the money you make it into investments/savings. It could all end, like, tomorrow. You'll wake up, something will have happened, and that'll be that. No one will care about you anymore...

Demand royalties until you're dead. Don't let them screw you over.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@xisnotxI actually have kind of accepted that I'll most likely go solo; I did ask a friend of mine if I could join her band but idk if their serious about letting me join. Also, I have tried to search for bands on craiglist and such but I'm pretty young and I get paranoid when the site starts asking for my address and stuff so...but I will definitely start visiting any local music store more often to see what I can find.I've also started making my music already, but I'll admit that it doesn't have much abundance. Im in school right now and an currently being pressured by college and the SAT tests (in case you dont know: a test that colleges look at to see if they'll accept you) and basically everything school related. It's something that personally irritates me because I want to work on my music but school gets in the way and it's kind of hard to just accept failing school so I can make music.so I just wanna ask you for some recommendations:* should I wait till college to start my career (but I'd really like to start now, that's the issue)?*what should I do if online media like YouTube isn't readily available to me?Thanks for your post, it's very helpful! And sorry if the questions are too personal :S

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Hmm...see, I don't think your parents would like it if I told you to drop out.
You should talk to your parents about that.

I can't help with what will make you happy...with what you should do. I can tell you how the world works. That's about it. Should you drop out? I could never make that decision for you.

But, one day...whenever...you'll be doing it 100% of the time, because it's not about just one or two good songs. Many can make one or two songs...it'll be everyday, all day.

Youtube is just a medium. However, you need to have your music on an easily accessed format, and preferably at least somewhat published, before you seek out other artists to work with. Back in the day, they'd have their CDs on them always...

Realize that established artists get stuff from hopefuls like every day. You need to make it easy for them to pick you up. It's about networking as much as anything.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@xisnotx
Thank you so much for this because I think I've realized that my main problem is the whole networking thing.I'll admit that I have some anti-social tendencies on my radar and it's definitely something I have to work on. I understand that you can't tell me what to do with my life and I appreciate you letting me know that (sorry again if I put too much responsibility on you with that >.<). I'll work on getting myself known as much as possible and possibly start my portfolio on my music.
I think im just putting a little too much pressure on myself to catch up with my peers in school, but I realize I should just go at my own pace and work to get there. I'm getting psyched out by the people who've already started my dream but I'm forgetting that everyone has different circumstances in their life that affect their life path.
Thanks for this post, it's become by epiphany :O

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Well most importantly you need to get good at one instrument.

There are people who like to play lots of things and thats fine, but your not going to become serious until you master or get good at one instrument.

This is because the better you get at an instrument the easier it becomes for you to express yourself on it, and when you learn one deeply you can transfer that knowledge to other instruments.

The thing is, and I'm not trying to break your bubble here, it's going to take years until you actually like what your playing and get to a good level with it.
I've been playing guitar for 8 years and it's only been the last 3 years that I've actually liked the level that I'm at and started to get things more (altho I did become more serious about it). But now I could write a song about how I feel in like 15 minuets and be satisfied with it, altho I don't just stop there. I'm still learning and trying to improve myself, and always will be, yet I just have more of an idea of my own sound and the skills to play it now.

All I'm saying is that if you don't have any musical skills then expect a few years of sucking at it.
But thats what every musician goes through and it's almost a right of passage, it separates the people who like the idea of being a musician from the people who really want it.

I started just before high school along with many others, and I've seen the people who totally gave it up and the ones who became musicians and are still doing there thing today playing in bands but on a more professional level.

As for starting a band, there are many ways of going about this.
I'm pretty shy as well and used to have a hard time finding not only people to jam with but people that where into the same style of music that I was into.
But once I've been in a band once you start to meet other musicians and it just sorta snowballs.

It's funny, I just started a new band yesterday with the drummer from an old band I was in.
I simply asked him if he wanted to jam and he was down, I told him I had been working on some songs and he was down to play them (he's a cool guy though so don't expect everyone to just be down to play your songs, most musicans have egos). So just yesterday we jammed for the first time and worked on the songs and it was sounding pretty good and we both dug it (Punky, Emo kind stuff) so I asked him if he wanted to start something and he was down, we hung out after and it was chill.
Don't know if where going to add a bass player or just keep it a two peace for now.

But where I originally met him was in an old band I played in for a bit, which I found on craigslist.
Craigslist is a good place to meet new musicians who are in the same place as you, yet it's really not ideal and I've never found a band that has really taken off with craigslist, yet it's a great place to meet other musicians with whom you might start something with latter on. Also being in a band you meet other musicians by playing shows with other bands, and ideally bands that have a similar sound to yours or what your into.

But yea so it basically goes,

-Get good at an instrument and find your sound
-Start a band
-Make songs with your band and get them sounding tight (important)
-Make a set list
-Play shows (important)
-Promote your band (important)
-Record an EP or something (important)

Depending on how well you do this (promoting for sure) you will slowly build a fan base with which will get you betters shows, more recognition, and play with better bands.

There's really no end though, and you get as far as your capable of or would like to be at.
But It depends on what your going for.

Networking is also extremely important, and as an introvert myself I suck at it and don't like keeping things up yet I do it because I know how important it is and since I love music. (Thats why It's nice to have extroverts in your band lol)

I would actually say that networking is going to take you the farthest in the music business.
That and having good tight songs, thats truly what is important.

Yea sorry for the rant but there is actually a lot that goes into it.
Your band is basically a business.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
@Bahburah
okay so that's another thing on my check list! I've been in piano for a while and I actually really like it and see definite potential in my skills (but it hasn't been 8 years!) and my parents have been buying me instruments ever since I got interested in the bass. I've been playing the drums lately and I really like it but that wouldn't hold up so much with a solo career (maybe, maybe). However, I'll admit that I've been pretty lazy :/. Becoming a musician just never seemed that close to my reach because, even though my family has it's musical roots, my parents never really took music seriously so it wasn't until I got accepted to my Performing Arts high school that I began to accept the probable reality (though difficult reality) of becoming a musician. My parents dont encourage me so much, but I think it's just out of their misinformation on musicianship but it's hard to try to apply myself in that world when I dont really have anyone close to me to turn to (but that's why I'm here).
I'll definitely start working on my musicianship and put more effort into my piano. I really want this and I find it really admiring that, despite being shy, you still managed to become what you wanted; I wanna get like that.

*Could I just ask you how you managed school work and music in school? That seems to be one of my issues right now: school just wants so much from me academically but I want to focus on my music.
Thanks so much for your post! (P.S. the rant was magnificently helpful, dont stress ;3)

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
*Could I just ask you how you managed school work and music in school? That seems to be one of my issues right now: school just wants so much from me academically but I want to focus on my music.
Thanks so much for your post! (P.S. the rant was magnificently helpful, dont stress ;3)
Well when I was in school I wasn't as serious about music , and I didn't really give a shit about school lol. That being high school though, I've never gone to any post secondary so I can't really say. I work right now but still have time for music, sometimes I feel to tired after work to be productive, so I just have to find the right time when I'm inspired.

Shy musicians are the best anyways. :wink: lol

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
@Bahburah
It's all good bruh, so maybe you could give me some insight on live band performance (if you've had that is) or just what I would generally need to prepare before I start a band?
I think I'll just start off on youtube for now and find some live performance opportunities at my school until I can actually go on Craiglist without paranoia (aka maybe college or after).
I also wouldn't mind if you felt fancy and told me the story of how you learnt the guitar and what inspired you :}

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
@Bahburah
It's all good bruh, so maybe you could give me some insight on live band performance (if you've had that is) or just what I would generally need to prepare before I start a band?
I think I'll just start off on youtube for now and find some live performance opportunities at my school until I can actually go on Craiglist without paranoia (aka maybe college or after).
I also wouldn't mind if you felt fancy and told me the story of how you learnt the guitar and what inspired you :}
Preforming live is one of those things you eventually get used too, I still get sorta nervous yet it's more a good nervous. lol
I feel like I just want to get up on stage and do my set.

But like most things, confidence is key.
Even if you lack the confidence you just have to think to yourself, "the more confident I do this the better it will sound". Theres nothing worse then letting your nerves get to you because it will effect your playing. But of corse you don't want to be over confident, but thats still better than unconfident.

Being in collage is a great place to meet other musicians. You could post flyers around with the style your going for and an email and see who responds. Theres always musicians who are in the same place as you; looking for other musicians.

And for starting a band it's best to have everyone on the same page at the start, yet this is only ideal and rarely happens, but when it dose you have a very good start/band. Being in a band can really suck if people are on different pages and bring there egos into things.

As for what got me into guitar was Greenday lol. Along with every other preteen boy when American Idiot came out.
Me and some friends at the time wanted to start a band, but didn't have any experience so one christmas we all asked for guitars and stuff and started a band that lasted though most of high school, altho I wouldn't have really called it a band since we only played shows at are school and where not at a high level of playing, but still it was something and a great start.
I'm the only one who still plays/makes music these days.

Blink-182 was also a huge inspiration at the time, and I remember that I started to "get" guitar more when I started learning there songs on guitar (pretty simple songs that I got exited about playing since I could play them). Then after years of liking other styles of music and trying to find my sound I came back around to liking pop-punk, hardcore, and emo stuff that I originally liked but on a more deeper and independent band level.

I really like that what I originally played is what I came into today.

You seem pretty interested, I'm sure you will find something.
Even just jamming with people is good experience and you can learn a lot and develop your playing from them.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
@Bahburah
I feel a lot more informed now, thanks so much. I honestly feel like I at least have a clue on what to do now. Thanks again :D (You get an A+ for that awesome music taste btw)

·
The Cooliest
7,635 Posts
* should I wait till college to start my career (but I'd really like to start now, that's the issue)?*
I just would like to say that it's probably best that you master your craft before you decide to do anything as serious as to drop out..

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
@Bahburah
I feel a lot more informed now, thanks so much. I honestly feel like I at least have a clue on what to do now. Thanks again :D (You get an A+ for that awesome music taste btw)
Hey it's no problem, anything to help a fellow musician! :D
I wish you all the best in your musical pursuits!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
@AddictiveMuse
Sorry it sounded that way, but I didn't mean to say that I was going to drop out of school, just wait until I'm older and more independent until I start making decisions like giving a website my information. I will be mastering my skill throughout the years I have left and am looking for a college that will support my art. I have felt stressed out by courses
I reeaalllllyyyy dont want to take and have had moments of "why the hell does this even matter!" but I'm also very interested in psychology (which I hope I'm accepted into next year!)and just want to make sure I do the best I can to get
into a college that I'll be happy in and one that actually wants me. So bottom line, I have no current plans of dropping out and see no reason to (but if I feel like I need to, I may but it still feels unlikely).

1 - 20 of 26 Posts