Personality Cafe banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you were an INFJ who was brought up in a big family of extroverts,
could this change you at all? Would you become more extroverted over time?
Would you become depressed from a continual lack of energy?
Have any INFJ's been brought up in big families?
How did you cope?

·
Banned
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What if your family consisted of 4 little brothers who are all crazy and do their best to annoy you every single day?

·
Registered
158 Posts
i would be extremely annoyed 99% of the time, but at the end of the day it's the loving kind of annoyance since they're family. And also little kids are fascinating to me, i love watching them think and imagine and just live, you can learn a lot from being around kids.

·
Banned
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
haha! you horrible little thing!! :p
I know, I know, I just want to see how it would affect an INFJ.
I'm borderline I/E, but I'm very much NFJ.
(The J can beocme questionable but the functions don't lie.)
Anyway, I spend most of my time out of the house socializing.. usually with just my best friend.. but I've gotten amazingly good at socializing. And my energy level is hard to deplete.. Unless of course I'm with ESFP's.. my ESFP friend never stops talking about nothing! haha I love her anyway :)

·
Registered
127 Posts
Almost everyone in my family of origin is introverted, so it wasn't really an issue. But, once I got married and started hanging out with my then-husbands family -- teeming with extroverts -- I had a really really hard time. I thought there was something wrong with me (I hadn't yet had the insight that is wasn't wrong, just different). It didn't help that he is English so we would spend days and days with his family when visiting them or vice versa, usually in fairly cramped conditions.

Brutal.

·
Banned
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Almost everyone in my family of origin is introverted, so it wasn't really an issue. But, once I got married and started hanging out with my then-husbands family -- teeming with extroverts -- I had a really really hard time. I thought there was something wrong with me (I hadn't yet had the insight that is wasn't wrong, just different). It didn't help that he is English so we would spend days and days with his family when visiting them or vice versa, usually in fairly cramped conditions.

Brutal.
Oh how I feel for you. And were you trying to keep up with the pace so as not to make a bad impression?

·
World's biggest INTJ fangirl
2,314 Posts
My brother (an INFJ) grew up in an immediate family of extroverts and I think as a result it has made him more socially outgoing. He still needs his introversion time obviously and there are times where he just completely vanishes off the planet for days at a time. But in the company of others he can either chose to be more outgoing (though it does take its toll rather quickly) or stay the introvert. He will always prefer the company of a small few than a big group.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I sat at home alone, a lot.

·
Registered
603 Posts
god please no i don't even want to think about it

·
MOTM July 2012
8,033 Posts
it wouldn't change the internal you; but i'd imagine it could be quite stressful when you are craving solitude, such that your introversion would appear more pronounced as a reaction to others wanting to socialize more often than you do. :(

·
Registered
135 Posts
I came from an exceptionally large family (8 kids), and have my own exceptionally large family.

One of my daughters is INFJ, and I am, too. She also has a ton of younger brothers. She and I both have our coping methods - including spending a lot of time alone in our rooms as needed. For me, being around extroverts isn't the issue - being around Sensors is difficult, though. Most of my kids are Intuitives (as is their dad), so that helps. A few are sensors, and that's just harder for me to understand. It's like we are looking at the world from completely different angles.

I think you're learning coping methods that will help you throughout your life. Do you have your own bedroom?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts