Personality Cafe banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking about this a lot lately. Things like sex... If two people that love each other deeply and have sex out of love, why couldn't that be considered pure? How would you define purity? What exactly makes a person "pure'"?

Reactions: rbgj

·
Cafe Legend and MOTM Jan 2011
15,420 Posts
I believe purity is being perfectly loving and perfectly aligned with God's will in our thoughts, actions, feelings and values.

Reactions: Aelthwyn

·
Registered
97 Posts
Purity is such a misused word. For some reason, it's used by some to immediately set the worth of someone or an action from mostly barbaric notions. For others it simply means the lack of chemicals in your tobacco. It's by knowing that I can rationally wrap my mind around the latter's facts without needing to be a smoker or a tobacco farmer that I know which definition to give in to.

Thus I reject the mere suggestion that there's anything that defines a human being as pure. It's simply not a word that applies in any truthful sense to us. There are fairer ways to describe our relentless pursuit for altruism without suddenly involving menial old beliefs such as a point in sex and alleviate it from an imaginary crime.

Why should sex be morally idealized or persecuted anyhow? I have no need to set anything to do with it on a pedestal with pretty bows beside my personal principles. It serves no purpose.

Religion would be so much more meaningful if it returned to its foundation of pure altruism.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I sure wouldn't define it as fundamentalism.

·
Registered
5,643 Posts
I dont care about the purity of sex because it dosent really concern me, but in other respects, genuinity and honesty are signs of purity, to be genuinely devoted to someone for example, with nothing expected in return and for no alterior motives, That is to me, an example of puity of heart ^^

·
Registered
831 Posts
Purity is something not corrupt. It's the child in kindergarten who goes about each day, sleeping, playing, eating, laughing and etc., with not a worry for the things that'll soon be on their mind years later.

As for the sex question: I wouldn't call that "pure." If the love between two people is that deep, it's simply "true/deep love."

·
Registered
26 Posts
I don't think anything is pure. Pure means it's untouched or spoiled by anything. That doesn't seem like a good thing. Being exposed to new experiences and ideas is good. I don't think anything is pure, it just doesn't seem realistic

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
I would say that being pure is to have the right intent. Love would be good enough of a reason as far as i am concerned, but when it comes to two people to have the same goal with their partner is hard to find.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I have a hard time associating purity with human beings, especially when it comes to sex. It's irksome to me when people refer to virgins as being pure. Maybe it's because the term makes me think of "purity balls," which are just beyond weird. There's nothing stranger to me than a woman in this day and age making a public promise to her father to stay a virgin until married. Pairing this with a special ring and father-daughter dance sends chills down my spine (the bad kind).

As for couplings, I can think of better ways to describe a healthy, loving relationship than "pure," but I'm biased because of the negative connotations I have with the term. I'll save it for my brand new awesome water purifier. That's a far less creepy use of the word.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts