Personality Cafe banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
There are two factors at play:

1. Everybody sees the INFJ description and the "feeling misunderstood" part and "special" and it is easy to "identify as INFJ". It's a fashionable item. It's an easy fix for anyone that doesn't want to search into the reasons of why they are having a difficult time being understood or perhaps changing their ways or perceptions. Pick INFJ, if you are feeling misunderstood, easy fix. Fixing your shortcoming is hard, and nobody has time for that, that would take away from Facebook and Snapchat time. By the way, you can quickly remove from the list of INFJ anybody with Snapchat that is active daily, because that does not look like high Ni, low Se at all.

2. INFJs tend to flock to internet forums. It only creates the illusion that there are many. How many do you know in real life? I only know one. Not to mention that actual INFJs count, not the self-titled INFJs. To tell you the truth, I am not absolutely convinced that INFJ is an INFJ. The only one that has been tested and retested is myself. So, I only know one INFJ IRL, myself. It could be possible that some cultures have more or less than them. I can imagine the US having more of them than... North Korea for example. The environment plays a factor too.

I am not convinced INFJs are not the rarest. I read somewhere that 0.5% of the population are INFJ males. That is a very low number indeed. I can't find the stupid article.

It doesn't matter that much anyways.
Haha, yep. It’s good to see that someone else has considered these things as well. 1) seems to be a big issue in the MBTI community. People tend to use type to justify unhealthy behavior. But that’s another rant for another day.

The stats that you speak of can be found on the MBTIonline site (after you pay for and take the assessment, of course). If I remember correctly, INFJs are 2.7% of the population (or something like that... I’d have to double check)

·
Registered
157 Posts
When I am with myself I feel pretty normal, like a calm, though a little eccentric, but overall decent person.
When I socialize, I realize that I'm the weird one.
I like that I have my inner sanctum to retreat into, but I also love people, even when I don't socialize much.
Sometimes I can spend days just thinking and analyzing people but don't even need to have any kinds of special feelings towards them.
I love arts, but I'm not swayed by delirious emotions, just love it because it nourishes my mind.
Paradoxical nature; too scientific for artsy people, too emotional for logical people, doesn't neatly fit in anywhere (not for the lack of tries) can be warm and cold, clingy and detached, just to give a few examples.
I have image of Ni as a peeping hole while Se as a sledgehammer.
Sometimes inferior Se (or Se at all) makes me feel like I can see the world in the purest, most primitive way, like the first drop dew drop of the earth, the first walk on the planet, etc. I like Se in that way, but not too much.
I don't care about rarity, I mean, I could be an SJ and okay with it, if that's who I really am.

·
Registered
INTP 9w1-5w4-2w3 sp/so
2,594 Posts
That's a tough one considering it is who I am and I have never known anything else. Kind of being in my own little world and being able to only focus on one thing at a time but expanding on that idea, feeling so much but being unaware of what I am feeling. Sometimes feeling nothing or feeling like I feel nothing but having feeling on some subconscious level. I would describe it as being kind of awkward, nervous, and different. Trying to understand people, knowing things but not being able to explain how I know them, and not knowing so much and being so naive. Kind of not really fitting in any group but loving people and while wanting to fit in, not wanting to change myself and being stubborn. Having many different aspects of my personality and trying my best to be true to myself. Being creative and being unique is a big part of it as well.

Reactions: specofturquoise

·
Registered
279 Posts
Annoying and inconvenient.

I feel like my need to stay true to my beliefs, my relentless goal-setting and ambitions (coupled with intense self doubt which is a fun time), and my general distaste for many other peoples' priorities and values makes my life more difficult. Or at least, makes me more unhappy.

A lot of different people probably have issues with not feeling fulfilled, but my own pursuit of a "meaningful life" or whatever that means weighs down on me.

At times I wish I could be cool with pursuing a regular corporate job, getting married, having some kids and being done with it. Not this "I need to improve the world" bs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Exhausting just being in your own head all the time, every day is a battle. Also felt like a complete alien before finding out about Myers Briggs and doing the test.

·
Registered
92 Posts
There are two factors at play:

1. Everybody sees the INFJ description and the "feeling misunderstood" part and "special" and it is easy to "identify as INFJ". It's a fashionable item. It's an easy fix for anyone that doesn't want to search into the reasons of why they are having a difficult time being understood or perhaps changing their ways or perceptions. Pick INFJ, if you are feeling misunderstood, easy fix. Fixing your shortcoming is hard, and nobody has time for that, that would take away from Facebook and Snapchat time. By the way, you can quickly remove from the list of INFJ anybody with Snapchat that is active daily, because that does not look like high Ni, low Se at all.

2. INFJs tend to flock to internet forums. It only creates the illusion that there are many. How many do you know in real life? I only know one. Not to mention that actual INFJs count, not the self-titled INFJs. To tell you the truth, I am not absolutely convinced that INFJ is an INFJ. The only one that has been tested and retested is myself. So, I only know one INFJ IRL, myself. It could be possible that some cultures have more or less than them. I can imagine the US having more of them than... North Korea for example. The environment plays a factor too.

I am not convinced INFJs are not the rarest. I read somewhere that 0.5% of the population are INFJ males. That is a very low number indeed. I can't find the stupid article.

It doesn't matter that much anyways.

Recently I had someone tell me that she was an INFJ and then added that this was 'the rarest personality type'. That is when I knew she actually could not be as an INFJ would never need to declare the later to the world. I could be wrong but I don't think so.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I know something, but I don't know how I know something.

I like being around people, yet I like being alone.

I wish someone could feel the same way as I feel.

I am highly receptive to the feelings of others, yet sensitive about their criticism.

I accept people for who they are, yet striving for perfection within myself.

·
Registered
♂️ INFJ 5w4 // IEI-Ni
2,936 Posts
Like an alien who (usually) comes in peace and wears human clothing to try fit in and navigate a world that seems more primitive than it ought to be.

·
Registered
39 Posts
How would you describe being an INFJ?

Do you believe it's one of the "rare types"?
That's a question that digs pretty deep into a person. I'm brand new to this forum... and I'm not sure how much "detail" you're looking for when you ask such a question. It's kind of like a water well: The question is a very small opening that leads to depths maybe unexpected.

I think I'll get the feel for this place andthen maybe come back to this question...

Nice to meet everyone... kinda/sorta... as I've read every post in this thread.

·
Registered
92 Posts
That's a question that digs pretty deep into a person. I'm brand new to this forum... and I'm not sure how much "detail" you're looking for when you ask such a question. It's kind of like a water well: The question is a very small opening that leads to depths maybe unexpected.

I think I'll get the feel for this place andthen maybe come back to this question...

Nice to meet everyone... kinda/sorta... as I've read every post in this thread.
Well, look forward to your take on this question :) I think its what does lie beneath (water well) that really defines the INFJ, as most other types can not, will not or do not run deep at all. BTW....Im not an INFJ but find your thinking process beyond extraordinary.

·
Registered
120 Posts
One thing I can say about being an INFJ, is that, even as I try to live my life honestly, I can still be caught up in some irrational belief. I would have to reflect and see how the situation really is; make time getting the facts right. That is probably why most would say it is hard living as an INFJ, because of how 'un-linearly' we experience the world; Imagine having a natural process of "Searching" throughout your life, for something beyond what you see. If we are not using that "Searching" on some project, we can endlessly contemplate about life, and so I would say a big trait of mine is how 'unsocially' deep my thinking is, how many miles I've ran through my mind without any 'social' reciprocation of the effort.

As an INFJ, one of the biggest lessons I had to learn was to not live my life aligned to ignorance. Other's ignorance, and my own ignorance. I have to change my lifestyle in order for me to be happy, and without my critical thinking about my life - having my mind on auto-pilot and simply 'socially' reciprocating with the world, I would probably be in a routine that never serves the greater need inside me, and be depressed or something. Lose myself (forgotten, but never lost entirely). And there you go, maybe this is another irrational belief of mine as well.

It can be hard being an INFJ, but that is just letters. Sometimes I say to myself, INFJs are the most human type. We can have inflated egos and give out BS theories via emotion>thinking, but its simply a common fallacy of humankind; we just need to accept our way, though we strive for beautiful things that boon society's growth. There are many kinds of INFJs, that you could say have various inbuilt services for society, and though there are some uniting factors, our righteous paths are as unique as the humans we are. It helps to simply see myself as a big human being (having MBTI etched into my mind).

Well, in my life I've probably known a handful of INFJ males (no idea about the females). I'd would personally say we are sort of rare.
Yikes, I sound so adamant of my beliefs here. I still agree about the 'searching' aspect for INFJs, but things don't naturally turn to shit unless there's a reason for it, IMO—that being my diet and better fitness & health, which has kind of turned the issue for me. I'm glad to be much healthier today, and more adept at expressing myself, and understanding the world around me, etc, looking back at this.

·
Registered
INFJ
353 Posts
Yikes, I sound so adamant of my beliefs here. I still agree about the 'searching' aspect for INFJs, but things don't naturally turn to shit unless there's a reason for it, IMO—that being my diet and better fitness & health, which has kind of turned the issue for me. I'm glad to be much healthier today, and more adept at expressing myself, and understanding the world around me, etc, looking back at this.
Think you've touched on something there @Celtsincloset. I think INFJs like the idea of always being in the process of 'evolving' their views. This tendency is probably what's responsible for the 'enlightened' or even 'snowflake' stereotype. Impossible of course because the process is never finished. The goal being one big refined masterpiece (whatever it is). This is also why I don't get all bent out of shape when people change their type identification. Unless it's obvious, how do I know people aren't just trying to learn?

41 - 53 of 53 Posts