Personality Cafe banner

How would you describe being an INFJ?

[INFJ] 
7K views 57 replies 36 participants last post by  Mystic MagentaRose 
#1 ·
How would you describe being an INFJ?

Do you believe it's one of the "rare types"?

#49 ·
Like an alien who (usually) comes in peace and wears human clothing to try fit in and navigate a world that seems more primitive than it ought to be.

Reactions: EmeraldRaven
#50 ·
That's a question that digs pretty deep into a person. I'm brand new to this forum... and I'm not sure how much "detail" you're looking for when you ask such a question. It's kind of like a water well: The question is a very small opening that leads to depths maybe unexpected.

I think I'll get the feel for this place andthen maybe come back to this question...

Nice to meet everyone... kinda/sorta... as I've read every post in this thread.

#55 ·
I'm new to the forum, so please bear with me. It's kind of hard to describe.🤔 It feels like you're from a different planet, yet you've been on this earth for all your life. It gets complicated. For instance, there are times when I want someone to talk to. But, after a few hours with my family, I want to be by myself. I want to be alone, but I don't want to be utterly alone. My social battery just needs to be recharged 😆. So, yeah...complicated. 😉

#57 ·
As an INFJ 1w2, my experience might be different from the more common INFJ 4 or 9.

Here Are Some of the Things That I Experience Due To Being An INFJ:
  • The unshakeable desire to follow through on one interest and one goal for months or even years.
  • Incredibly strong morals that are very hard to break. I will criticize myself very harshly if I break one of them. This can lead to me being self-righteous at times.
  • I know that this is very stereotypical, but an interest in human rights issues. I have a strong sense of justice. When I was younger, I fantasized about being a judge so that I could fix the errors in the justice system.
  • Being ambiverted. I can easily introduce myself to new people but I can become isolated for several hours.
  • The insatiable desire to learn new things. I can learn new things for HOURS.
  • Being detail-oriented but able to see the bigger picture.
  • A push-and-pull between high-minded idealism and pragmatic realism.
  • A push-and-pull between moralism and rationalism. The conflicting desire to be objective and to make sure that my choices line up with my deeply-held principles.
  • I never feel like I fit in.

#58 ·
I think it depends from person to person, I've heard how rare we are, yet a lot of people I know, claims to be an INFJ. I won't be the judge of that though. :) I accept people and love kindness.

To put it in a few sentences just from my point of view, I enjoy my solitude, yet I enjoy being around people depending on my mood. Learning is something that is essential to me and I love to read. I've always loved reading. There may be a few INFJ's who hate reading and never picked up a book, so I think it varies. I did always feel like an outcast though, a black sheep in my family and misunderstood. I don't go out and cause trouble, or anything like that. Inside I just feel different, especially when I'm around certain people because they don't discuss the truth and are usually hiding a piece of themselves. I tend to talk in-depth and that frightens a few people that I recall.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.