Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I also asked the INTJs.
I'm just trying to understand Ni better.

Reactions: thehigher

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
I'm guessing it's just a common username due to Radiohead, but I used to play in a Counter Strike clan with someone named Paranoid Android. But I figure it couldn't hurt to ask?

But anyway, I should probably answer your question since I bothered to respond in the first place... Here's how Ni works for me. I use Ti to think about the conversations I have. Afterwards I will ask myself questions repeatedly in hopes of gaining a better understanding. Sometimes this process takes a few hours. After that when I feel I have gotten to the bottom of it, I'll throw it all into a closet. Ni then goes through this quickly whenever it notices something similar. I don't have to think about it anymore since I already did previously.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Ni is incredibly introverted and subjective, resulting in any attempt at communicating the experience of its superiority with regards to my function order difficult. I'll give it my best shot, though:

Ni is a constant change in perspective. When faced with a problem, I automatically bombard it with a plethora of angles and points-of-view, hoping to discern the one true perspective that will shed the most light on the situation and provide me with the right answer. However, it's not always this apparent, which is a large part in why those first introduced to Ni brand it as 'mystical'; the worldview created by the Ni dominant is too subjective and internal to discern it easily. I look for the meaning behind the data at hand, and try my best to apply that same pattern and underlying meaning towards unrelated data, looking for connections and symbolism. For example: There is a wooden rocking chair in my room. If asked to find signifance in this seemingly ordinary object, my Ni will (bare with me) start 'swirling" around the object, looking at it from multiple perspectives. The foundation of the chair is symbolic of the structure of our own selves, that our foundations or cores must be sturdy in order to handle the stressors and burdens of life. However, if our structure is too rigid, if it is unable to flex and sway with the pressures we encounter, our foundations, much like the wooden legs of the chair's foundation, will snap under the tension, crushing the very core that holds us together. Notice how in my explanation, I was not trying to manipulate the chair itself, but instead focused on how I could manipulate my perspective of this chair. I could honestly go on and on of multiple ways I can perceive this chair and the significance I can derive from it.

This is just my two cents--take it with a grain of salt. My understanding of the functions, especially Ni is quite limited; who knows if any of this is accurate.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I'll try to answer this as shortly as possible.On a basic level I use my Ni to find similarities and relationships between two things. For example; I'll look at a computer and think of all the connections it has to the world. The computer is a representation of the advancements humanity has made. It's also a symbol for change on a cultural basis.

That's how I use it on a basic level, though I typically use it as a device for introspection.

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
Took this from here.

Ni (Introverted intuition):

Perspective Shifting: Using Ni a person can shift their perspectives, view and understand things from different angles and in different ways, each giving insights, synthesizing information and trying to get to the best outcome for the problem at hand and accomplish a vision of the future. Perspectives are often evoked by focusing on physical symbols, archetypes, totems, and other abstractions like visual models. This ability allows the Ni user to see the underlying meaning and universal truths of natural law behind symbols and abstractions, and then apply them in other places that appear unrelated or contradictory.

Meaningful Insight: Ni involves synthesizing the seemingly paradoxical or contradictory, which takes understanding to a new level. Using this process, one can have moments when completely new, unimagined realizations come to them. Quite often during times of relaxation after concentrated intellectual activity, when the mind is allowed to wander freely, the Ni seems to take over and can produce the sudden clarifying insights. Ni is a way of seeing things that rise above competing views. Engaging this process starts with entering a state of withdrawal from the world in order to purposefully gain an insight or realization. These insights may manifest as "aha!" experiences, the kind of thing that "pops" into your head while you're taking a shower. Once these insights come to pass they can align them with their global model transforming it into an updated perspective of the world and future.

Prediction: Ni is always looking for implications of how the future will unfold. Ni types often find themselves laying out how the future will unfold based on unseen trends and telling signs. Because of this curious power that Ni users have, they tend to be seen as having a “psychic” or prophetic quality to them.

Visionary Drive: The sense of the future and the realizations that come from Ni have sureness and an imperative quality that seem to demand action and help us stay focused on fulfilling our vision or dream of how things will be in the future. The Ni user can hold the ideal future society or system within their Ni, and rigorously drive toward this goal to turn it into reality.

Independence of Mind: Ni dominants confidently trust their intuitions, insights, ideas, and inspirations - often no matter what others say. Their thoughts become part of who they are, and they are completely independent of the world the live in. Ni dominants are the most independent minded of all other types, the insights they pick up on in their lives are completely original and subjective. For this reason, many Ni dominants feel like aliens, as if they perceive a completely different reality from everyone else.

Suppression: Ni and Se have a suppressive relationship. Ni causes the person to withdraw from the active sensual environment in order to work effectively. The slightest nudge, impulse noise, or visual flash can knock a person completely out of Ni and derail their train of thought. Because of this, Ni dominants can’t stand being interrupted, and prefer to surround themselves with only the most pleasant of sensations.

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm guessing it's just a common username due to Radiohead, but I used to play in a Counter Strike clan with someone named Paranoid Android. But I figure it couldn't hurt to ask?
It's in reference to the Radiohead song :tongue:

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I see connections and patterns. Things make sense to me in relation to eachother, not in themselves. I make observations that I cannot express in words. Everything is connected.

·
Registered
644 Posts
This is very confusing to me, and I still find it hard to see a clear difference between Ni and using Fi and Ne together.

I both see conections between things and ideas, and can manipulate my feelings towards things...and use these skills to readily acess symobilisim. Yet, I definatly use Fi and Ne, not Ni...so what intrisically is it about Ni that makes it distinct and unique compaired to any other function, or mixture of functions?

It facinates me because I find it so hard to get my head around it's essesence.

If you feel like explaining it to me, metaphores or symbolisim is actually fine if your Ni is best extressed that way, or just feelings. I understand that way better anyway most of the time. Sometimes words or superfulouse language gets in the way as much as words bridge barriers of understanding for me.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Ni is convergent, while Ne is divergent.

Ne starts at one idea and brainstorms more, while Ni starts at many ideas and finds the uniting principle/pattern of them all. Sort of like a tree; Ni starts at the top of the tree, with all the twisting, chaotic branches, going down to the center seeking the core that fuels all the branches. Conversely, Ne starts at the center/core of the tree and works its way up, ending with more branches/limbs than it started with.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Ni is convergent, while Ne is divergent.

Ne starts at one idea and brainstorms more, while Ni starts at many ideas and finds the uniting principle/pattern of them all. Sort of like a tree; Ni starts at the top of the tree, with all the twisting, chaotic branches, going down to the center seeking the core that fuels all the branches. Conversely, Ne starts at the center/core of the tree and works its way up, ending with more branches/limbs than it started with.
hmmm...this helps a little, but it doesn't feel quite right to me...yes I brainstorm, but I also see uniting elements, and I can quickly cut to the heart of an issue. I see both unity and core, as well as infinate connections...so there must be more to it, or so I feel.

Sometimes I can really cut through woffle or superfluse information to the heart of an issue. It must be more than that surely, or is it that, but working from a different direction, and both types of Ne can reach the same conculsions but do this and reach it in different way?

·
Registered
571 Posts
...can reach the same conculsions but do this and reach it in different way?
Yes, but remember that intution, as a perceiving function, does not reach conclusions (generally speaking); conclusions are made and finalized through the judging function paired to your perceiving function. Rather than look at intuition alone, I would suggest you read the interactions of Ne/Fi and Ni/Fe, since you are confident of your feeling preference. It makes it much easier to discern your preferred functions.

If you want more clarification between the difference, might I suggest this? The thread created by the INTJs definitely helped me understand the functions much deeper. Hopefully that helps.

EDIT: That is the link to the directory of functional analyses. If you want the one strictly about Ni/Ne, then look at this.

·
Registered
644 Posts
At this moment in time, I am fairly confidient of my functions. It's more...I wish to understand what I lack, and to see how that affects me and my intereactions with others, especially Ni doms. I supose I am also wondering if I have used Ni subconcously at some piont, if I can recognise an instance of this, then I will be able to understand it, and better understand Ni users...

Its currently a bit like a very slippery fish...everytime I think I have a firm grip on it, it slips away and swims off into the darkness of my mind. I want to cradel it in my hands, and get a good look at it, count its gleaming scales and examin it's delicate fins.

I can do this with Ne, Fi, Te and Si...and the rest to a degree, but Ni? Now that is a mystery worth chasing.

·
Registered
571 Posts
At this moment in time, I am fairly confidient of my functions. It's more...I wish to understand what I lack, and to see how that affects me and my intereactions with others, especially Ni doms. I supose I am also wondering if I have used Ni subconcously at some piont, if I can recognise an instance of this, then I will be able to understand it, and better understand Ni users...

Its currently a bit like a very slippery fish...everytime I think I have a firm grip on it, it slips away and swims off into the darkness of my mind. I want to cradel it in my hands, and get a good look at it, count its gleaming scales and examin it's delicate fins.

I can do this with Ne, Fi, Te and Si...and the rest to a degree, but Ni? Now that is a mystery worth chasing.
Oh, I misunderstood the point of your post. If you ever want some heavy reading on the functions, take a look at those threads.

Everyone uses the eight functions, but since we naturally have preferences towards one over the others (flexing one more than another, if you will--like a muscle), trying to tap into another function foreign to our own can be alienating and strange.

There's a clear reason why your hold on Ni is so slippery. Not only is its attitude directed opposite of your own intuition, but Ni is just naturally elusive, difficult to pinpoint its manifestations due to their subjective and introverted nature. You ask Ni doms what it's like to have Ni as their dominant function, and each experience will seem to differ from the other; the examples even shared are terribly difficult to articulate. Often times, I'm not even consciously aware of my Ni being stimulated since intuiton in general is such a... Subconscious and automatic process, for lack of better description.

Now that I think about it, you should really take a peek at the Ni versus Ne thread on the INTJ forum I linked you to. Ni use to be such a mysterious function, but now I have a relatively firm grasp on it, all thanks to that thread.

I hope this helps! :happy:

·
Registered
644 Posts
Now that I think about it, you should really take a peek at the Ni versus Ne thread on the INTJ forum I linked you to. Ni use to be such a mysterious function, but now I have a relatively firm grasp on it, all thanks to that thread.

I hope this helps! :happy:
I helped a lot, thank you.

I think I understand it now...and that I have used it, but very rairly. It is That Thing, which kicks in under extream pressure/crisis. It is the knowing how things will go, and what you must do, but not why. That does not factor into the thinking process, you take data, and you conclude from it, firmly...this leads not only to utter understanding, but action upon that.

It's sort of...pure clarity of thought. The one voice which sees the true solution, it sees the one truth of being. It is very confident and authoritive.

It is the other part of me which is unfamilaur...and slices into my thoughts, in a strange way. It has an entirly different tone to it. I always thought of it as pure logic, but it isn't, it is a deep felt truth. I sees what is and will be...not what might be. It is powerful, and a bit frightening for me when it happens. It's as if it sees me and situations from the outside, with an objectivity and clarity which is utterly alien most of the time. It strips everthing back, removes all illusions. I belive in subjectivity, and when Ni hits me (because that is what it is like) it is a bit startling and over whelming. It actually hurts my head after a while.

I noticed it sort of started to happened to me in my mid teens-late teens, and at more regular but disperate pionts since then. I maverel at it, but it scares me too. It's as if it sn't really my voice, but a different Filigee's, which is always watching me...with these penatrive eyes which never close. It sees everything for what it really is. It does not need to work at it, any more than most people need to work at using their eyes. It just sees things.

It's not so much a gut feeling, but...cerebral, you feel it in your mind first, then the rest of you responds. Pure, cold, raw insight. It makes me feel naked when turned upon myself, in a way Fi never does. Fi knocks about in my head, explores, and knows, but not like Ni knows. It's icey and sharp as a scalpal in my mind, where as Fi is warm tendrels, or soft clouds of knowledge. Ni can slice into those clouds and yank out their essence.

I don't like it, it gives me the creeps. *shiver* Blarg! Just the memorys are horrid. Like having cold water thrown over you, yes you are suddenly more awaire of things and feel more awake, but it's not a nice expirence by a long way.

Is that about right? Not the sheer unpleasentness and reverence I give it, but the affect of it?

·
Super Moderator
12,037 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,037 Posts
STRONG

Can be shivering at times.

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
I don't like it, it gives me the creeps. *shiver* Blarg! Just the memorys are horrid. Like having cold water thrown over you, yes you are suddenly more awaire of things and feel more awake, but it's not a nice expirence by a long way.

Is that about right? Not the sheer unpleasentness and reverence I give it, but the affect of it?
hmmm my Ni doesn't feel like this
it just feels very fuzzy, confusing, like a big furball of everything throw in together and I'm stuck trying to make my way through the fog

·
Registered
644 Posts
hmmm my Ni doesn't feel like this
it just feels very fuzzy, confusing, like a big furball of everything throw in together and I'm stuck trying to make my way through the fog
This sounds more like how I expirence Fi...sort of a soft fog/cloud, full of swirling ideas you struggle to articulate. It has long tenticals or feelers which explore my mind, and pull things out into the light for me to examine. I'd say my post above was produced with Fi and Si, with Ne forming connectins in feelings and memories out of a swirling sense of things. Ne finds the outer knowleage, Fi examines it and me, Si provides memories/expirences to support Fi/Ne, and then Ne catches it all up again into a big web of understanding, and Te tests the validity of the understanding, and tries to filter it into a logical sequence to go back out into the world. (in this instance anyway)

I was thinking back to the mental discription you gave of Ni a while back, which I didn't relate to. The idea of saying I am supposed to see, but really I see...then as I read more about Ni I saw this did not fit for me as what I have expirenced is: I sense this intangible essence, but I am supposed to see this, which this sense is telling me is not true...what I see, (probes essence in mind) what I see is...and then there is the clarity. To me it feels jaring and unexpected...and I feel my head doing things I am not used to, disrupting my soft clouds and my big matrix's of knowledge. I'm not going idea *click* into matrix, another idea, object, stimulas..*click, click,click* Ah! now I have it, my understanding is almost complete...it's like Fi, only...not. lol. I see Fi is pinky, with a purple sheen, and Ni is a dark blue, almost black. It's thicker than Fi, more intese and confusing. It gradually hones everything to this single piont of realisation, where as Ne manually picks things up and moves them about, testing things in many different combinations.

What I am discribing as possibly being Ni feels more heavy handed to me than Fi. But I think this could be because it's unfamilure, I am not comfortable with it. I expirence it in a more violent and unrequested way, hence all the unpleasent figurative language. I mean having your main function inverted even for a moment is going to feel bizzar.

Fi is volentary, I go back into my head and muse using it, Ni sucks me in as if someone just pulled the plug out of the bath. It has been useful when it's happend, but I did not enjoy the feeling.

But perhapes I am wrong...and this is something else. (I really need a musing smily)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts