Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 10.5%
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if it's because I'm an INFP, but ever since my family adopted Lily (Chihuahua-Wiener Mix) and Chewy (Pure Breed Yorkie) half a year ago, I've considered them my children, since I'm the one who mostly plays with them, feeds then, and cleaned up their messes. Not to mention sometimes they both try to fight over me for their affection every time I try to relax on the couch. So I ask you, do some of you people about your animals in the same sort of sense that I do, or is it just me who feels that despite my babies not being human, I genuinely try my best treat them as though they were? Other types can join.

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
As an INFJ my parents cats (all male) are like my imagined children (I shower them in affection, talk to them soothing their meows, get others to feed them since they are not my cats, tell others about their moods and behaviours and pick them up often).

·
Registered
BEAR
1,730 Posts
I have two male cats in an incestuous, homosexual relationship (they're uncle and nephew and they like to hump each other regardless of the fact they're fixed).

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have two male cats in an incestuous, homosexual relationship (they're uncle and nephew and they like to hump each other regardless of the fact they're fixed).
... Weird... But interesting at least. But I was asking about your relationship with them.

·
Registered
BEAR
1,730 Posts
... Weird... But interesting at least. But I was asking about your relationship with them.
Oh, right... oops :blushed:
My relationship with my cats is almost nonexistent. I feed them, take ticks and fleas off, and let them outside. That's about the extent of our communication. When they die I'm not getting new pets. They're too needy.

·
Registered
211 Posts
We have two cats. My husband is a big animal lover and works in an animal hospital. I like cats. I grew up with cats and used to love them as if they were my furry children but after I had kids they took a backseat when my kids had most of the attention. My husband does the majority of the work with them and pays the most attention to them and yet they love me the most lol..

The only dog my parents had, had massive aggression and shyness problems and would attack everyone at random times, I was "attacked" by him lots, he never really bit me but would bark and snap at me. So I didn't really have a bonding experience with a dog yet. But I do want one in the future.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I consider my cat a very close friend, treat your pets with kindness and respect and understand they are not human and can not speak english, they can however read vibe, aura or energy. They are on this planet having a experience just like us and there health and well-being should always be taken into consideration. Be kind to a animal and you will have a friend for life.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have one dog named Loki. He is a Rhodesian Ridgeback/German Shepherd mix. I have had him since he was 5 months old and he is 11 years old now. He is my baby and my shadow. He follows me everywhere, sleeps in my bed with me. He loves to cuddle with me and he is probably my best friend haha. My friends say he is my surrogate Dominant, because he bosses me around and when I take him for walks HE is taking ME for a walk. haha

He is spoiled rotten and I am going to be devastated when he leaves this earth.

Reactions: gestalt

·
Registered
138 Posts
Also I had a kitty named Cricket (cat in the avatar picture). He passed away about 4 months ago :( He got out of the house and we have a lot of coyotes around here. My relationship with him was much different. He loved to lay and cuddle with me as well, but he hated Loki. So if Loki was in the bed, he would run away in a pissy mood. lol Cats are just different than dogs, but I love them both equally. I miss my little Cricket.

Reactions: gestalt

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
I grew up with rodents and turtles. I never felt close to them emotionally, and never found them cute at all, but I liked the responsibility of taking care of them, cleaning their cage, feeding them. This is weird because this happened between ages 3-8 (wasn't I supposed to hate responsibility?). I was a super responsible child, kinda grown up, cooking for myself at 7 and stuff. But I don't know why I liked taking care of them so much. I mean, I had enough on my plate with taking care of myself (both my parents worked full-time and I was my own caregiver), school and having a younger sibling under my care.
So I never gave a shit about my pets, meaning I didn't feel they were my friends. I cleaned their water and fed them, and that was the fun part, but never played with them.

I got a cat in my mid teens, and that changed my life. I was a completely shut down person, very mean, troublemaker, no friends, self harming, very unhealthy. And I swear that cat saved me and started to heal my emotional wounds. I made my first human friends, became slightly more social (as social as an INFP can get), I became more interested in hobbies I had abandoned long ago, and just my mental health improved by his mere existence. The bottom line is I became more in tune with my (so far repressed) emotions, and because I had emotions again I could finally relate to people. Cat and I connected without words. He only lived 5 years (cancer) and after his death I felt quite lost emotionally, but I didn't go back to being mean and asocial, I committed to keep going with my growth.

After a few years of no animal friends, found my dog in a dumpster (not a puppy, he was already 4-5 years old). He had been abandoned, with clear behavioral symptoms of having been abused, and came to me like heaven sent. I helped him heal emotionally and he helped me in going even further in my self-healing journey. We're family, that's what it is. He's the friend and parent I never had, and I'm the friend he's (apparently) never had.

Now that I'm old enough to examine myself, I think being obsessed with taking care of the food and cages when I was a kid -but not loving the animals per se- was me trying to fulfill the care that I felt lacked in my own existence when it came to my parents taking care of me. Like I was projecting.
And later on in my teens, when I realised that my parents had never loved me and that I couldn't trust them, and of course I couldn't trust anybody at school (had no friends -friends are just enemies getting closer to learn your achilles heel), I found the emotional nourishment I was looking for in "bigger" animals that I could actually hug, rub noses with, hold hands/paws with, listen to me, put up with all my crazy behavior without judging me, and I found that I cared so much for them, I loved them like I imagine I would love a true friend, unconditionally.

So basically my relationship with my dog and cat in my adult-ish years has been of true friendship and true family. I know for a fact that I wouldn't have had human friends if I hadn't been friends with my cat and dog first. They taught me so much about patience and holding space for people and being supportive.

Reactions: Catherin

·
Banned
2,873 Posts
I have been around barn cats most of my life. BC was the first cat that was mine - and he bonded. He went through the awkward teenage stage, then adult to old. He had throat cancer, painful, and I had him put down. Breed: moggy. Named BC because he was a black cat.

We had a dog that had diabetes - treated with insulin. She stopped eating in the second year of treatment and was put down - sad.

So we went to the shelter. A pup saw me coming. I think we bonded before she got out of the cage. Shots, spaying, 3 months of flea treatment -$15. She knew her name -Missy - in about an hour. She obeyed hand signals without training.
Breed - German Shepard mom, daddy was a traveling man.
I feed her, brush her, walk her when I am able, and she sleeps on the side of my bed. When I am gone she will not eat. When I come home she is beside herself. She is an adult companion dog. I am dominant -that is how it works. There is no babying, but sometimes she wants a hug. She is a ferocious guard dog and very gentle and playful with small childen.

Missy - Copy.jpg
BC r.i.p..jpg

·
Premium Member
15,326 Posts
Not a fan of cats at all, but dogs ---- I love them. We have 3 dogs now, all from the local shelter. They are all part of our *pack*. My relationship with them is I love them.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I want cats and dogs, but as far as I know my parents won't be agreeing to any of those anytime soon. And that sucks so much xD
But it's okay, I still have my hamsters, they're so adorable :D

I tend to be very protective over my babies xD I'd say I'm a lot better now, but growing up I'd become upset over the thought that my sister might have an opportunity to pick up my hamsters or something. I was so scared she'd bully it or poke and prod it xD And whenever my mum and sister handled my hamsters, I'd freak out over the slightest tensing of their hands because I was so so scared they'd squeeze my babies D:

And even though we only had one rabbit, I kind of became its guardian. Max was adopted, and while he was very tame when we were deciding to adopt him or not, after bringing him home it was kind of obvious he wasn't completely open to being handled. He wouldn't mind if his back was petted, but the instant your hand strayed to his sides? He'd jump, grunt, whatever xD Everytime my friends came over to see him I'd tell them where they could or could not touch him, partially so they wouldn't get bitten (obviously), but mostly cause I'd hate to upset him D:

Call me selfish, but I hope one day I'll get to have a pet that is truly mine. I mean, I always had to share any animal we owned with my sister, and it's so frustrating not being able to plead her not to bully them to death without my mum going off about how I'm being ridiculous.

·
Registered
34 Posts
When my family got our two dogs as puppies I wasn't working at the time so I was bascially the one who raised them. When I did get a job (they were about 8 months old) it was really hard! If I looked at a picture of them I would start tearing up, it was horrible! So, I too, in a way, feel like they are my kids. I also (kind of?) "own" a cat. The place I work (different job from the one mentioned earlier) adopted a stray cat and he has taken up with me; sleeping on my desk (and my papers), letting me brush him and clean his ears, etc. So he is kind of my cat; he is probably 60% of the reason I stay sane at my job. :tongue:

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
I saw a young puppy in the back alley & I whistled & she came running to me, jumping around, wagging her tail & licking my face. So hyper to be getting attention! Turns out she was dumped so kept her. Half German shepherd, half who knows what. 4 years later, gosh she's so spoiled now. Great dog though. Gets lots of attention & hugs & she's very protective. She's good with people but she doesn't let anyone get near me without growling unless she knows them well. She whimpers when I go out the front door to check the mail & barks when someone rings the doorbell or knocks. We never had kids so it seems like she's our kid. Glad we found her.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I have three cats, and I feel for them as much as I feel for other members of my family. I don't necessarily call them my babies (oh, who am I kidding, of course I do :laughing: ) but I worry about them, I let them have some personal space, I talk to them and I feel really close to them.

Especially my Isis.
Isis och kottar 029.jpg
She's a rescue pet, about two years old now, and she (at least I hope she does) loves me. She follows me when I leave the house, she sleeps in my bed and she seems worried when I'm upset. One time I was so angry because I had had a bad day and lost my cellphone, and she just came up to me and started cuddling with me as if she knew.

·
Registered
121 Posts
As an ENFP who leans toward a lot of introverted traits, my pets have always been like family. When I was a kid, I had a lot of pet rats and I used to let them free from their cages to roam around and explore a bigger world around them. I'd make them play houses out of tissue boxes by cutting more holes and gluing little passageways together.. I imagined how fun being a tiny rat would be in such big surroundings and gave them a great life.

Currently, I have a dog (11 year old boxer) and she is my baby. She sleeps in my bed every night, I share my food with her, take her for walks, take her to the dog park and talk to her all the time. All her other siblings passed away years ago, and my dad's theory is that the reason she's still alive is because we give her so much love. She's such a spoiled princess but everyone who meets her, even if they aren't dog people, seems to love her. My boyfriend was never a dog person, and when he first starting coming over to my house he couldn't even stand the way she smelled, wouldn't even hug her. Now he cuddles with her and lets her kiss him. She has a very friendly personality.

I treat animals like all fellow earthlings should be treated-- with kindness! :)

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
I have three cats, and I feel for them as much as I feel for other members of my family. I don't necessarily call them my babies (oh, who am I kidding, of course I do :laughing: ) but I worry about them, I let them have some personal space, I talk to them and I feel really close to them.

Especially my Isis.
View attachment 86221
She's a rescue pet, about two years old now, and she (at least I hope she does) loves me. She follows me when I leave the house, she sleeps in my bed and she seems worried when I'm upset. One time I was so angry because I had had a bad day and lost my cellphone, and she just came up to me and started cuddling with me as if she knew.
That's a great picture! I'm trying to come up with possible captions for it now.

"I see what u did thurr"
"Chillun wit mah hose"
"Crack: who wants some!"
"Dat ass"

The possibilities are endless : D

Also, its funny how cats "just know", isnt it. I've long ago come to the conclusion that they are telepathic.

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
I got a cat, his name is Merlin, and he's my little buddy.
He's kind of scratchy, greedy, and aloof, but deep down, he's a soppy old git that loves me to bits.
(Acts like a dog sometimes. Follows me around the house, sits with me, puts his paws on my legs, sometimes seeks me out for a surprise cuddle)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts