Personality Cafe banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In what areas would they be polar opposites, in what areas would they be similar, etc? Also, what things would you expect them to either clash or work well together on?

·
Registered
62 Posts
I hope this helps you out.

Taken from ISTJ-INTP Relationship

This section ISTJ-INTP relationship is about how these two personality types come together in a relationship. Specifically, we will be looking at the joys of this relationship as well as the struggles this relationship may have.
The ISTJ-INTP relationship has 2 preference similarities and 2 preference differences. Regardless of the number of similarities and differences, each personality combination will have its unique set of challenges. We will look at each of the 4 preferences individually:

Introversion-Introversion

Joys

When both parties are introverts, there is a good mutual understanding about their personal space and private time. Both partners understand the need for time alone to recharge and usually will be more than happy to give each other the space to do so.

They will probably like to spend their weekends and weeknights with only their partner, or at most with a small group of close friends.
Usually, these two will enjoy simple activities together like reading a book, watching TV or enjoying music. In these activities, talk is not necessary, and presence alone is enough. Introvert partners are the ones that claim to be comfortable which each other's silence.
However, this joy will be amplified when both parties share a common interest. While Introverts don't appear to talk a lot, they can spend hours upon hours on a single topic if it is something that both parties are interested in.

Struggles

However, in such a relationship, one party will have to play the extroverted role, starting the conversations and engaging the other party. While this is not an issue when both parties have a common interest (they might fight to speak!), this may become a challenge if they do not share one. This forces an introvert to have to play an extrovert even in their 'downtime.'

After a while, the relationship become a little dry as introverts do not like to talk about topics that they have little or no interest in. In such a case., It would be good for both to find a common interest.
There may be a challenge to find a support community as well. Both introverts may not see a need to build networks and be part of communities. Unless both belong in a community such as a church, extended family or interest group already, they may find it a challenge in times of crises, with one another to depend on.

Sensing-Intuition

Joys

The Sensing partner enjoys the brilliance and intelligence of the Intuitive partner; the Sensing partner enjoys seeing new and different perspective to everyday issues when they engage the Intuitive in conversation. They may also be attracted to the Intuitive partner’s creativity and imagination.

Intuitive partners, on the other hand, have their heads in the cloud most of the time. They appreciate the Sensing partner who is down-to-earth and is concerned with everyday living; someone that notices the dishes need to be done, the house needs to be cleaned, the bills need to be paid, for example.
Although it is not true that all Intuitive partners do not care for fashion (some put a huge chunk of their attention on it!), the Sensing partner usually dresses fashionably and is well-groomed, and therefore it may be likely that the Intuitive partner is attracted by what he/she sees.

Struggles

Psychologically speaking, Sensing and Intuitive partners speak different languages and therefore they often may struggle to find a common topic. Sensing partners will enjoy talking about the everyday happenings, e.g., what happened to Aunt Mary, what went on at work today, the latest happenings on TV. These are topics that the Intuitive seldom has an interest in.

The Intuitive is more interested in discussing ideas, trends, theories and plans. Discussing the economic situation of the country, challenging a culturally accepted idea, talking about big business ideas; these topics are the realm of the Intuitive. The Sensing is more grounded in reality and finds it hard to talk about such topics; they may unconsciously choose to move on to a more tangible topic, making the Intuitive feel unheard.
Ultimately, the issue is whether both parties are willing to speak the other’s language. Is the Sensing partner willing to indulge the creative but sometimes abstract interest of the Intuitive? IS the Intuitive ready to engage in conversation with the Sensing partner about the more mundane but realistic happenings and concerns of life.

Thinking-Thinking

Joys

The Thinking-Thinking relationship is straightforward. Both types speak alike: in a straightforward and frank manner. They are likely attracted to each other’s ability to take criticism and challenge in an unflinching manner without getting offended in the process.

They appreciate that they can speak to each other in their preferred style without feeling like they need to be tactful or soft. There are no hidden messages; no complicated emotional issues: just clear, frank communication with each other.
Both parties will be objective in their decision making using a logical, objective approach to come to a conclusion. In decisions such a the purchase of a house or a car, both parties are able to assess their options in a logical, objective manner. Hence, the chances of conflict are lower when the criterion is clear.

Struggles

However, Thinking couples may find it hard to express their love for each other. Being Thinking, they will need to stretch themselves in order to be expressive and romantic in their language. As such, Thinking couples often have rather unromantic relationships; however, both parties may be well without the romance, seeing it as unnecessary.

However, when they have an argument, it is usually harder for one side to back down. Both see the logical sense of their argument and will not relent until the other party agrees with the logic. These arguments may turn even uglier if one partner feels their competence is being challenged and reacts with an outburst of uncontrolled emotion. If both parties lose their temper together, the fight can become intense and damaging.

Judging-Perceiving

Joys

Judging-Perceiving relationships are commonplace as such an opposite in this case does complement both parties. Judging partners enjoy making decisions, and Perceiving partners prefer to keep their options open. As such, the Judging partners will usually end up making the daily decisions in the relationship: where to eat; where to go for the weekend, and so on.

Perceiving partners are glad that someone is making the decision for them; they appreciate the Judging partners for bringing that order and stability into their usually disorganized, unplanned and sometimes overly spontaneous life.
Judging partners, on the other hand, are also appreciative of the simple and easy-going nature of the Perceiving partners. They enjoy control and being on top of things in most aspects of their life, and they are often fascinated by how someone could live so carelessly and freely.

Struggles

With the mutual admiration of the difference also comes the source of conflicts. Judging partners may be fascinated with the easy-going nature of the Perceiving partners; but soon will become impatient with their seeming lack of purpose or intention.

This will be especially true if the Judging partner is a female and Perceiving partner a male. Most cultures expect the male to take the lead, and their lack of purpose and intention will be viewed as passivty or laziness and hence frowned upon. The Judging partner will become frustrated with the Perceiving partner as a result.
Perceiving partners, on the other hand, may feel that Judging partners can be too overbearing and micromanaging at times, and feel stifled. Judging partners may want to decide things like where to keep certain household items, what time the family should be, and attempt to enforce these decisions on the Perceiving partners. Perceiving partners often resist this need for control from the Judging partners; in worst cases, the resistance may come in the form of a break-up.
Judging partners will do well to give some space for Perceiving partners to be their natural disorganized and spontaneous self, and Perceiving partners can accommodate by being proactive to make some of the decisions in the relationship.
This is a summary of the joys and pains of the ISTJ-INTP relationship.
However, personality dynamics are more complex than this. It does not just extend to the difference or similarity in individual preferences but goes deeper than that.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Haha it's actually a father/daughter relationship. Still an interesting read, though.
Oh, I'm sorry. I meant no offense at all.

Allot of the points still apply as it is an interpersonal relationship between two people that share love for each other (in this case parental and not eros). Just the dynamics of parental authority and respect come into play as well.

If your husband/partner is having issues with your daughter, I hope that they are able to be resolved.

·
Registered
144 Posts
See this. It's taken from Socionics. In this instance, the INTP (LII in Socionics) is the benefactor, the ISTJ (SLI in Socionics) the beneficiary.

·
Registered
427 Posts
My relationship with an INTP is a close friendship, but I hope this is useful anyway. Our biggest clash is probably Te/Ti. For example, we follow the same course at university but he's more at ease with theory (i.e. quantum chemistry) while I work much better in a lab. He delves into things deeper than I do but I apply them more. I like to have a firm opinion on things (to the point of being blunt sometimes) while he often wavers and can become elusive. Sometimes I criticize him for not being direct when he should be, while he probably considers me too controlling (it's mostly a speculation, since it's darn difficult to get a judgment from him).

Apart from that, we get along well. His auxiliary Ne is easier to approach than a dominant one, and he's overall patient and reliable.

See this. It's taken from Socionics. In this instance, the INTP (LII in Socionics) is the benefactor, the ISTJ (SLI in Socionics) the beneficiary.
Aren't ISTJ LSI in Socionics?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Aren't ISTJ LSI in Socionics?
No. LSI is ISTP (Socionics ISTj). I should have clarified that in Socionics, the introverted types have J and P reversed from their Myers-Briggs counterparts, so Myers-Briggs ISTJ = Socionics ISTp, and Myers-Briggs INTP = Socionics INTj. The Socionics types are written with a lowercase "j" or "p" to distinguish them from the Myers-Briggs counterparts.

Reactions: Saturn Fox

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Not quite the same, but from my INFP sister and ISTJ mother:

Conflict comes from my sister's forgetfulness. My mom makes lots of lists that my sister (and I) kind of forget about. My INTP friends would be much worse than my INFP sister- she's a 9, so she's learned organization for the sake of family harmony (we're all ExxJs except for her and my mom).

Overall, I imagine they would get along fairly well as long as the INTP doesn't get too random or laze off. ISTJs like people to do what they're supposed to and they dislike untidiness, but they're more willing to entertain randomness than most ESTJs that I know.

·
Registered
452 Posts
OP:

This is a father-daughter relationship - is the ISTJ the father and INTP the daughter, or other way around? What are the ages in question? Factors like these greatly affect how things work.

For example, INTPs usually aren't very particular about how things are done, while ISTJs usually are. Depending on who holds authority, things turn out very different.

·
Registered
105 Posts
From what I could observe, I know two ISTJ men : My father and a special friend.

I generally get along quite well with my father, he influenced me in my thoughts about many things. He likes Physics a lot, which made me become curious about the world. We can have interesting talks, and he's not shy like I am, he's more authoritarian than I am. He's pretty strict and very reliable. Sometimes, I do feel that he understands me quite more than my mom, but we do have arguments because I'm apparently very annoying.

As for my special friend, he's very shy and even more introverted than I am. So, as said in Vlad's post, there is one of them who has to act Extroverted, and in the relationship it's me : I always come to him to chat. At first, I thought it'd annoy him, but in fact he likes it a lot, seems like I'm the only one he talks as much to. I can also have interesting talks with him : I love talking about theories, and I know I can tell him it all to him and waaay more, the only consequence being him seeing me as an insane person :laughing:
I never get bored while talking to him, and we talk a looot.
He's very judgemental, though, he can easily have bad opinions and generalize it, but it seems like I influenced him so that he's more open-minded now o:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.