Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have attempted to order the eight functions based on how often I think I use them in real life. Below, the results, and a brief description of how I use (or fail to use) each:

Fe>Ti>Fi>Ni>Se>Ne>Te>Si

Fe just comes totally naturally for me. It didn't as a child, but by the time I was a teen, I was so in tune with other people's feelings it was almost overwhelming at times. I ahve since learned to distance myself enough that, while empathizing with my friends to a degree, I am also able to keep my own emotions in check. It is a delicate balance.

Ti is also strong in me. I grew up around a lot of Ti types. Finding the perfect way to express my thoughts and ideas is very important to me (just watch-- even after I post this, I probably won't be able to resist the urge to come back and edit what I've written at least one or two times). Also, as a creative writer, Ti is invaluable. Ti is probably also to blame for my avid interest in the finer points of personality typing... :wink:

Fi is up there. Not so much because it's a naturally strong process for me. But because I had very strong beliefs and values instilled in me at a young age, and it is those values that guide much of my personal decision-making. It is not my way, however, to judge others by my same moral standards, or to try to impose my beliefs on anyone else. Fe has a hard time stepping down in these cases, and usually the most I can manage in a situation like that is to "agree to disagree." Everoyne is welcome to follow their own conscience, as long as it doesn't interfere with me following mine...

Ni, I think, has been sadly underutilized, though it was stronger in me as a child. It is still, though, probably my strongest Perceiving function, although I have a hard time trusting it all the time. I don't know why I doubt so much, however, since my first impressions of a situation almost always turn out to be right. I easily see symbolism and hidden meanings in things, so there is one Ni application. Ni might also be manifesting itself in the fact that I am rarely surprised by anything. So Ni really is strong, but I just have a hard time trusting it, and I need to get over that.

Se excites me at times. It is the rush I get when performing on a stage. Or when I push the limits to peer over the edge of a precipice. One of my favorite memories as a kid is taking a family vacation to Yosemite and hiking to the top of Vernal Fall, feeling the cool mist from the waterfall washing over me as I climbed the last several hundred feet. Se, while I enjoy using it, is not something that I use on a daily, or even weekly, basis, but reserve for "special occasions."

Ne is tedious. I try to use it, since for years I thought this was the best way to make decisions. After all, "brainstorming"-- especially in a group-- is the best way to make sure all the options are put on the table and fairly considered so the best option will eventually come to the top. Right? The more I rely on this method, however, the more I realize that it's almost always my first idea that was the best all along. Nevertheless, Ne can still be a useful tool when otherwise in doubt.

Te is something I aspire to, but have not fully achieved. Many times I have attempted to organize my thoughts and my environment. It never lasts very long. Compartmentalizing my life is not something I am good at; it all just tends to get jumbled together. Taking on too many roles at once just overwhelms me and I have to step back and prioritize. I certianly value efficiency and productivity, and it's something I strive for in myself, but my efforts fall sadly short. I don't follow other peoples' logic very easily, either. I often have to ask people to repeat themselves (or just nod and pretend like I understand them), or read the same passage several times to pick up on the intended meaning. It's not that I'm not intelligent. It's just that I have a hard time separating my own thoughts and ideas from theirs.

Si is a function which I wish was much stronger in me than it is. It is my weakest function, I think, and the least developed. I do not easily recall past experiences. And even when I do recall my past, it is very two-dimensional. I am not good at recalling previously-learned facts, or making connections between past and present events. Attempting to remember people's names is a real chore for me; even people I've known for a while, when I see them in an unfamiliar place I often find myself wracking my brain for a name that just won't come to me. It is embarrassing.

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
I have attempted to order the eight functions based on how often I think I use them in real life. Below, the results, and a brief description of how I use (or fail to use) each:

Fe>Ti>Fi>Ni>Se>Ne>Te>Si

Fe just comes totally naturally for me. It didn't as a child, but by the time I was a teen, I was so in tune with other people's feelings it was almost overwhelming at times. I ahve since learned to distance myself enough that, while empathizing with my friends to a degree, I am also able to keep my own emotions in check. It is a delicate balance.

Ti is also strong in me. I grew up around a lot of Ti types. Finding the perfect way to express my thoughts and ideas is very important to me (just watch-- even after I post this, I probably won't be able to resist the urge to come back and edit what I've written at least one or two times). Also, as a creative writer, Ti is invaluable. Ti is probably also to blame for my avid interest in the finer points of personality typing... :wink:

Fi is up there. Not so much because it's a naturally strong process for me. But because I had very strong beliefs and values instilled in me at a young age, and it is those values that guide much of my personal decision-making. It is not my way, however, to judge others by my same moral standards, or to try to impose my beliefs on anyone else. Fe has a hard time stepping down in these cases, and usually the most I can manage in a situation like that is to "agree to disagree." Everoyne is welcome to follow their own conscience, as long as it doesn't interfere with me following mine...

Ni, I think, has been sadly underdeveloped, though it was stronger in me as a child. It is still, though, probably my strongest Perceiving function, although I have a hard time trusting it all the time. I don't know why I doubt so much, however, since my first impressions of a situation almost always turn out to be right. I easily see symbolism and hidden meanings in things, so there is one Ni application. Ni might also be manifesting itself in the fact that I am rarely surprised by anything.

Se excites me at times. It is the rush I get when performing on a stage. Or when I push the limits to peer over the edge of a precipice. One of my favorite memories as a kid is taking a family vacation to Yosemite and hiking to the top of Vernal Fall, feeling the cool mist from the waterfall washing over me as I climbed the last several hundred feet.

Ne is tedious. I try to do it, since for years I thought this was the best way to make decisions. After all, "brainstorming"-- especially in a group-- is the best way to make sure all the options are put on the table and fairly considered so the best option will eventually come to the top. Right? The more I rely on this method, however, the more I realize that it's almost always my first idea that was the best all along. Nevertheless, Ne can still be a useful tool when otherwise in doubt.

Te is something I aspire to, but have not fully achieved. Many times I have attempted to organize my thoughts and my environment. It never lasts very long. Compartmentalizing my life is not something I am good at; it all just tends to get jumbled together. Taking on too many roles at once just overwhelms me and I have to step back and prioritize. I certianly value efficiency and productivity, and it's something I strive for in myself, but my efforts fall sadly short. I don't follow other peoples' logic very easily, either. I often have to ask people to repeat themselves (or just nod and pretend like I understand them), or read the same passage several times to pick up on the intended meaning. It's not that I'm not intelligent. It's just that I have a hard time separating my own thoughts and ideas from theirs.

Si is a function which I wish was much stronger in me than it is. It is my weakest function, I think, and the least developed. I do not easily recall past experiences. And even when I do recall my past, it is very two-dimensional. I am not good at recalling previously-learned facts, or making connections between past and present events. Attempting to remember people's names is a real chore for me; even people I've known for a while, when I see them in an unfamiliar place I often find myself wracking my brain for a name that just won't come to me. It is embarrassing.
That can't be right. For example if you are an INFJ, then you'd have Ni Fe..........so on and so forth.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
She said personally, not logically.

Anyway, I'd have to think about this, I KNOW it would have to be Ne the most and probably Fe the least.

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
She personally, not logically.

Anyway, I'd have to think about this, I KNOW it would have to be Ne the most and probably Fe the least.
Well, mine are already listed out for her right there in my sig.

·
MOTM Jan 2012
6,514 Posts
I'm of the opinion that one cannot just order their functions as they see fit. If you are a certain type, your functions are going to be a certain order.

Reactions: Xplosive

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That can't be right. For example if you are an INFJ, then you'd have Ni Fe..........so on and so forth.
Logically, that should be the case. But, if I separate the functions into Perceiving functions and Judging functions, I get this:

Perceiving: Ni>Se>Ne>Si
Judging Functions: Fe>Ti>Fi>Te

If I take the first two functions of each, I get Ni and Se as my strongest Perceiving functions; and Fe and Ti as my strongest Judging functions. And since-- as I said in my OP, my Fe developed later than my Ni, it follows that the order of my first four functions for the purpose of typing would be Ni>Fe>Ti>Se. Which is in perfect alignment with the INFJ personality type.

Since I am a Judger more than a Perceiver, I suppose it makes sense that my Judging functions would be generally more developed than my Perceiving functions...

Reactions: Nearsification

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I think people stick to the religion of MBTI just a little too much. My functions do NOT go in standard ISFP order. They go something like this.... Fi>Se>Ne>Ti>Fe>Te>Ni>Si

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
I think people stick to the religion of MBTI just a little too much. My functions do NOT go in standard ISFP order. They go something like this.... Fi>Se>Ne>Ti>Fe>Te>Ni>Si
Ah so you are an enneagram 6 with a 7 then? Just like I thought.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I'm gonna be boring and say

Ne > Fi > Te > Si

I think there's a rhyme and reason to functions and why the theory has been developed the way it has. I really don't think it's an order you can fudge with. No, it doesn't mean that we're all cookie cutter copies of one of the 16 types. Each person is different, but there are patterns that describe people. Like music genres.

I think there's a really delicate balance with the functions lined up the way they are for each type. It's not something to be "confined" by, just a generalisation of patterns in human behaviour.

·
Registered
4,385 Posts
I'm going to be rationally appropriate and say:

Ni > Te > Fi > Se...

I do notice that my Fe and Ne are fairly developed. Now I gotta get onto that Ti and Si...

·
Registered
815 Posts
Well.. this may not be the proper order for an INTP but yeah... this is the impression I get
Ti > Ne > Ni > Si > Fi > Te > Se > Fe

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Standard issue INTP, though it seems I use Fe more than usual for my type. Not true online though, heh. >:)

Ti>Ne>Si=Fe>Ni=Te>Se>Fi

·
Registered
788 Posts
I'm fairly sure that I almost never use Te and Ti. I used to think I used Ti a lot because I went through internal analysis a lot but I think it may have been a gross misunderstanding of Ne (I remember a good description of Ni and Ti being in opposition because Ti seeks to make distinctions whereas Ni seeks to try and overlook in the interest of understanding). The 'analysis' seems to be more of a case of synthesising thought and exploring possible reasons for what I'm thinking about. Very little of my thought is truly objective, I'm fairly sure I lack a lot in objective analysis like the 'classic' thinker. Se and Si aren't too bad, but Ne and Se can be surprisingly hard to separate since they're both 'in the moment' technically but differ in whether it's the implications of what's in the moment or simply what you see (unless I've grossly misunderstood this). The Si seems to come up with that sense of emotional re-experience linking in seeing certain things (I really struggle with explaining the concept, I've seen it described much better than I can) and also occasions of feeling like I'm temporarily 'in' some kind of different experience. I don't think I have much Fe, I haven't adopted many societal defined expressions of feelings. If I agree with them then it's usually from my own internal sense of acceptance rather than because society does. I disagree with a lot of trite romantic expressions for this exact reason, it doesn't seem romantic unless it's a personal expression rather than an acknowledgment of societal expectations of romance.
Um... So after much tangenting... :unsure: Fi-dom for sure, probably followed by standard Ne then Se or Si, Ni, Fe? and lastly Te and Ti most likely.
Big problem is that I'm quite unaware of my logical frameworks, I'm much more aware of subjective emotional evaluation. Could poor Te be an explanation of why I have such trouble remembering which the days that things have happened to me? Or that I frequently can't remember what day it is or if I have anything I'm supposed to do...

·
Banned
818 Posts
Maybe the typical functions for ENFP - Ne Fi Te Si - would create the most well-balanced personality, but some of us are pushed in various directions and respond with and strengthen different functions.

Mine are something like Ne Fi Se Te, and sometimes Ne Se Fi Te, then the rest further down in an unknown order, with Si being at the bottom.

·
(ノ´ヮ´)ノ*:・゚✧
5,110 Posts
As an INFP:

Ne > Ni > Fe > Ti > Fi = Te > Si > Se

I have almost no Se. It's frustrating sometimes because I feel like I'm a mind floating around, and then my body gets caught on something unexpectedly and then I fall over. I also can never describe something's appearance accurately, which is a bigger problem than you'd think. I work in a field where I'm constantly working with people, and sometimes I may have to send them out of the room... oftentimes I can't recognize them very well even though I've been talking to them for 45+ minutes and I mostly rely on them walking up to me once they see me. (When I go outside to find them.)

·
Banned
4,790 Posts
I don't really believe one way or the other in terms of changing function order... Still, I wanna participate :happy:

I think my function order goes a bit like:
Fi > Ne > Te > Si > Ti = Ni > Fe > Se

I know I use Fi a lot and it's my primary function. I rate Ne next simply because it developed after Fi, but I've kind of "lost touch" with it in the past few years. Then Te because I use it fairly often, probably more than most INFPs, and it's usually what I show to other people; I've been told that I don't come off as a Feeler and I usually get 50/50 on tests. Last of the first four is Si because sometimes I get too stuck in my ways or I fight change, but I dislike this part of me... So Si feels more like an "inferior function" than Te does.

Ti I can use well enough (not brilliantly, just decently), but I don't like analyzing too much. Ni was sort of forced into development when I was in high school, hence the equal score with Ti... I can use it with the same amount of skill, but it's not particularly my forte. Next is Fe, which I rarely agree with using but realize that in some situations (and my E6 shining through) it's required. Last is Se, because I have trouble "staying in the moment," or following a lot of events happening at the same time.

Disclaimer: Some functions may be inaccurate, placed wrongly, or described inadequately.

·
Banned
4,508 Posts
Since I am a Judger more than a Perceiver, I suppose it makes sense that my Judging functions would be generally more developed than my Perceiving functions...
Well.... your first function as an INFJ should be an introverted perceiving function..... Ni. So..... just because you are J.... see what i mean? All the J means is that you have an extroverted judging function.

So I don't think being a J would mean that you have more deloped judging functions. I am an INFP but my first cognitive function is a judging function.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts