Personality Cafe banner

How would you rate or would have rated your school life?

• 0 - I am/was home schooled.

Votes: 37 5.5%
  • 1 - Horrible experience. I will/would never go back.

Votes: 66 9.8%
  • 2 - Many problems. Just getting by or lucky to get through.

Votes: 112 16.6%
  • 3 - Median - I have some good and bad memories.

Votes: 221 32.8%
  • 4 - Good - A few problems, but nothing I can't/couldn't handle.

Votes: 194 28.8%
  • 5 - Excellent. It is/was the best time of my life.

Votes: 44 6.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
School was a nightmare for me up until high school. The curriculum was stupid, the kids were unruly, the teachers hated their jobs, and the schools were rife with corruption. Also, even though I swept through schoolwork like nobody's business, my parents couldn't tell that I was truly bored out of my skull until they took me to a psychiatrist for depression, took some tests, and found that I was gifted and needed higher learning. Then I switched districts got into a special advanced course, which was so much better in every way.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Very interesting post,

I didn't had a good school experience myself. After reading all the comments, I can observe that those who did not have good time at school are either Introverts (Ixxx) OR Thinking Judgers(xxTJ)

Can someone theorize why?

·
Registered
469 Posts
Elementary and high school was one long, suckish, agonized blur. Oh yes, on paper it appeared as if I did well. I think I graduated thirteenth in my class or something. But it was utterly miserable because I did not fit in and the work was not challenging. Worse, teachers *expected* stupidity. I had a high school social studies teacher who refused to approve a work by John Locke for my book report, because he said "you won't understand it." I did the book report anyway and the bastard had to give me an A.

College was a much better experience, and no surprise, academically I did much better.

I think the public education system is so deeply flawed that abolition is the only answer. Problem is, I believe state-run education is designed to create a cowering, unreasoning populace that is easy to dominate...so I will be shocked to see public schools abolished. But hey, I once argued that the Berlin Wall would never come down, and one day it DID go down...LOL I will dare to dream.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Very interesting post,

I didn't had a good school experience myself. After reading all the comments, I can observe that those who did not have good time at school are either Introverts (Ixxx) OR Thinking Judgers(xxTJ)

Can someone theorize why?

I think NFP's also have a bad time. We're so WOOOOOOOO FAIRIES OUTSIDE THE WINDOW and so outside the box. Although school for me was awful and I'm surprised I didn't kill myself.

·
Banned
605 Posts
Grade-school was horrible, college was much better, and university is even better. I voted based on grade-school.

·
Registered
330 Posts
My pre-collegiate experience was terrible. Often times teachers didn't care if I passed or failed (which wasn't personally exclusive); to put it best, if you didn't understand the material as fast as other students and struggled as a result, then it was a common occurrence for teachers to imply you are incompetent with no chance of redeeming yourself....elitist pigs.

My experience in junior college has been very enjoyable/stimulating and my aptitude has improved markedly thanks to the greater sense of freedom and teachers that actually care about their students success.

Overall, I'd rate my school life as a 1 before college, and for the past couple years as a 4.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I did poorly in grade school until they figured out I needed glasses, then went from C-D-F student to A-B. Classic case of "she does well on tests but doesn't pay attention in class!" I'm old enough that they weren't regularly testing vision yet. I was the female version of ADHD - absent. I just never connected with the rest of the students. Because of that I was fairly invisible and there wasn't any reason to harass me since it wouldn't make any points with any group. It didn't help that we moved to Florida when I was in 2nd grade (I wound up going to four different schools by the time I was in 3rd grade), then back to Texas when I was going into 9th grade, then AGAIN when I was going into my Senior year.

High School was better, got to study art and instigated a Nerds group. But then my parents moved us to a smaller bedroom community and I had no art, no foreign language and I had to deal with a bunch of uncultured hicks who thought Shakespeare was writing in a foreign language. I had to take HOME EC for cripes sake! (in '74, girls weren't ALLOWED to take shop) Later found out it was my Mom sabotaging me (she was jealous of my independence), though Dad took the heat for not letting me finish at my old school. Since Dad didn't really believe in girls going to college, I only got to attend the local junior college with the bored housewives. Their art courses were a joke. I only lasted two semesters.

The negative repercussions from having my wants and needs so blatantly stomped on left me screwed up and depressed for most of my young adulthood. I've been working on fixing myself ever since.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I was home schooled from second grade through graduation. I Loved it, Not having to deal with "people". :laughing: But My ENFP sister hated it with a passion and begged our parents to let her go to a normal school, especially in her high school years, but they didnt... She had quite the time of rebellion and party going when she turned 18, making up for lost time I suppose. Nothing about Public school or even privet school (which I tried for six months in the 8th grade) appealed to me, I always did well grade wise and the teachers always liked me, as did the students for that matter but it was a challenge for me just dealing with the repetitiveness of in institution and the people within it. Plus My mom used to let me do my school work in the evening and I always think better at night, and I really can't be imposed upon to be civil before 10am.:laughing:

·
Registered
404 Posts
I'm currently a senior in high school and I would rate the current experience as a four. I'm able to get good grades in challenging classes without killing myself to get all the work done (I've become a master procrastinator...) and I have a lot of friends from all parts of the high school spectrum (popular kids, jocks, stoners, nerds, art kids) who I love to be with and who appreciate my uniqueness and eccentricities, which is great; I don't have that "outsider looking in" feeling I had when I was younger. Of course, there are sometimes I get bored and depressed and self-doubting and more bad feelings but its become easier to deal with, probably because I keep myself so busy as a distraction. Choir has been a blast and has given me a great sense of self confidence: "Being part of something special makes you special, right?". Sometimes I feel like I want to be more involved with clubs and take leadership positions but I'm busy enough as it is owning a horse. I looking forward to college, which I'm hoping to be an even BETTER experience. :laughing: Really, I can have a good time anywhere. My positivity can be contagious. :tongue:

·
Registered
32 Posts
I voted for number four. (Good - A few problems, but nothing I can't/couldn't handle.)

I, personally, don't understand how people can say that school was their best years of their life. I found most of my classes pretty dull and the teachers were mostly void in relation to my education. I learned more by loafing about, reading the text books than listening to teachers ramble on for an hour about the subject and then giving us twenty minutes to scribble down cheap answers just so we wouldn't have to take it home to finish.

I mean, yeah, overall I did enjoy school. It was the main place to meet up with friends, goof around in class and sneak around to the back of the school to light up a cigarette that you still didn't understand how to inhale properly. But educationally, my school was horrible.

I remember one of the maths teachers I used to have would do an equation on the screechy black board, and without explaining to us how she did it, expect us to complete an answer book of about twenty questions on it. I'm still surprised that I managed to get a decent grade out of maths with a teacher like that...

·
Registered
230 Posts
School life sucked absolutely as I was shy type and had anxiety those days. So that is the reason.If iam like now those days, i would have had less problem. Anyway, but i didnt liked that school life.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now i noted that i can't able to post in this forum. I don't know how i was able to post in this poll..
I didnt received the activation mail. I should not talk about this here, but i cant able to post in this forum. I think posting in polls
work without the activation mail as i have posted here.

Why i didnt received the activation mail ?

Also i cant able to use an avatar......

Can anyone tell me why ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I enjoyed some of my subjects immensely, but was bored to tears by others. On reflection (well after I had completed my schooling) I had undertaken many subjects that simply did not interest me (I had no choice about doing these). Some of my teachers were excellent, others not so good, but if the basic interest is not there, then it is difficult trying to maintain student enthusiasm, regardless of the quality of the teacher.

If I had been able to select subjects that really interested me, I would have loved school all the way through.:mellow:

·
Registered
7 Posts
I assumed grade school for the poll.

I couldn't get out fast enough. It was a total waste of my time and probably held back my education a couple of years. I wish someone had dropped me off at the library with a battery of tests and a sack lunch. It would've worked better.

If only homeschooling had been invented then.

I homeschool our daughter.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
For me, 12 years of hell. I'm the only one in my family who isn't a teacher or principle. No surprise.

·
Registered
2 Posts
School was hell for me, i just wanted to come home fast. I hate losing time for nothing and school was the think that consume my time.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.