Personality Cafe banner

How would you rate your relationship with your father? If dead, vote how it was.

• 0 - I never knew him so it would be a zero.

Votes: 33 5.9%
  • 1 - Very bad. We don't or barely talk.

Votes: 113 20.1%
  • 2 - We argue a lot but at least we talk.

Votes: 44 7.8%
  • 3 - It gets bad but we manage to work it out.

Votes: 49 8.7%
  • 4 - We have our ups and down, but we get along fine.

Votes: 232 41.2%
  • 5 - Excellent. We have a very open relationship. He is or like my best friend.

Votes: 92 16.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please vote...

How would you rate your relationship with your father? If dead, vote how it was.

Reactions: Kudo Shinichi

·
Premium Member
10,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes sorry. Copy and paste fail!

Reactions: skycloud86

·
MOTM Feb 2011
8,065 Posts
It was between the 4 & 5 in the last decade or so. Earlier than that it was a 5. Now it is non-existant since he is deceased, but at least I have some happy memories.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
ENTP dad + ENTP me = good times. :happy:

I answered 5, but I confess that we do have our minor issues now and again. Never anything major, though -- just typical ENTP-ENTP stuff.

For example (this actually happened):

(Dad and I are having some sort of conversation)
Dad: ...do you have to argue about everything?!
Me: I do not argue about everything!
Dad: ...

He sees his own flaws in me, which makes things more difficult sometimes, you know? Still, who better to guide me than someone who's so much like me? It's nice.

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
He is an IxTP and we get along pretty well. We don't always agree, but overall it's very nice.:laughing:

·
Banned
2,155 Posts
I don't know how to answer this. We barely talk, but we get along fine when we do. I don't think many people would blame me for hating him for what he has put me through, but that's not the kind of person I am. Still, my Father's Day cards to him are always generic... none of that "you're a great dad" mushy crap... because it simply isn't true.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
I don't talk to my dad much because I don't see him much, but we get along just fine when I do see him. Sometimes it's a little awkward because we don't know what to talk about, and sometimes we bond over shared interests. I didn't see him a lot when I was growing up because of some problems of his, but at least he was around which to me is better than not knowing him at all. I've never held any bad blood against him. I have no idea where to rate this.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I voted 1. My father died. It's almost been a year. We didn't really have much of a relationship... but near the end, it was getting a lot better. More of a 2 or 3, but the majority of my life... it was 1. I feel pathetic saying it, but even though I didn't know him very well I still miss him immensely! :crying:

·
Banned
656 Posts
He was my papi.....so much more than just a dad as he was the first man to have a place in my heart and he set the standard very high as to what I can expect a husband to be. He was not perfect by all means and could be very stubborn and set in his ways at times yet he also taught me how to be flexible in my thinking. He always told me....if you don't have the tool to do the job just don't stand there...invent one!

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
ISTJ father, ISTP daughter, we are like two trains running along parallel occasionally meeting..

I didn't vote because no option fit. We don't fight, but it's not like we a have an open, open relationship. We talk about facts. As for opinions, he states his, but I rarely state mine if they disagree with his. I'm just not into trying to change his opinion on things I don't see as mattering, and I don't see any point in discussing my opinions on things I don't see as mattering.

He always tries to be a nice guy and does lots of things for his children, although still adhering to his beliefs, so he's not bad, and sometimes I value his extra insight into things. But I don't feel as though I can openly discuss my beliefs with him as they may prove contrary to his but I'm not interested in that anyway. Oh and sometimes he goes on and on about trivial things, blah, but again, it's not like we fight.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I love my daddy. :laughing:

·
Registered
41 Posts
I voted 4.

I can't live with my father, we would kill one another. Almost did when I was in high school.

Now we get on like a house on fire. As long as NO ONE ELSE is in the mix or he goes all Alpha Male Dad on me (even at my age, which is far too old for him to be playing that card) and tries to control me and my life and that's a no. But otherwise, house on fire. Lots of things in common. Many hours of fun.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I voted 5.

I have always had a really great relationship with my dad. He is imperfect, but very wise. He knows when to give advise and when to hold back. I would love to have a friend just like him. I wouldn't say that we had an open relationship, unless that includes us agreeing it is best just not to know certain things about each other. haha.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.