Personality Cafe banner

How would you rate your relationship with your father? If dead, vote how it was.

• 0 - I never knew him so it would be a zero.

Votes: 33 5.9%
  • 1 - Very bad. We don't or barely talk.

Votes: 113 20.1%
  • 2 - We argue a lot but at least we talk.

Votes: 44 7.8%
  • 3 - It gets bad but we manage to work it out.

Votes: 49 8.7%
  • 4 - We have our ups and down, but we get along fine.

Votes: 232 41.2%
  • 5 - Excellent. We have a very open relationship. He is or like my best friend.

Votes: 92 16.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
No idea of type though I thought ESTJ for a while (I'm an ENTP).

We never got on when I lived at home but now I've moved out we get on really well. Not quite best mates level and there are somethings I would talk to him about but generally he is one of the first people I turn too for advice on things. So 4!

·
Registered
402 Posts
I picked 3, but I wouldn't say it necessarily gets bad, just really frustrating.

He's a really good dad and I am lucky to have him as a father, but we do tend to clash quite often. I don't hesitate to argue with him if I think he's in the wrong, and of course that makes him very angry. I see him as very close-minded most of the time.

When he's not grouchy and we are getting along, we can have some really good discussions and I feel comfortable talking with him about almost anything. He's always willing to give me some fatherly advice and can be very understanding in those situations.

We are certainly not best friends; sometimes it even feels like we are rivals. The best friend title goes to my mom. :happy:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Gah! I haven't succeed in luring my dad into taking the Myers-Briggs test.
It's like we are from two different worlds.
  • He's extroverted and talks a lot and I'm introverted and don't talk that much.
  • He's quite conservative while I'm liberal.
  • He lives in the now and is boringly realistic. At least from an INTPs point of view.
  • When we argue, he is so stubborn! It takes forever before he even can reconsider the possibility that my theory could be right.
...but despite our differences, I still love my dad. :proud:
It's just that it makes it hard for me to hang around with him for longer periods of time and when he tries to boss over me in my own apartment, hell usually breaks loose. :wink: I wished I where as awesome at making new friends as he is though and his driving skills are remarkable. I personally think he is an ESTP and it's just a shame he's not interested in personality types because he will never really get to know me very well.

·
Registered
41 Posts
My real dad died when i was a few months old so that would be zero.

My step dad and I are really close. He is my Dad in my heart and i love him. I voted 5 for my relationship with my step dad.

·
Banned
14,865 Posts
We barely talk. Apathetic. He abused me when I was a kid. I used to swear I would kill him someday. I won't. But, that just shows how much I like him, I suppose.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
We've never been close and see eachother on thanksgiving/xmas and I might get an email from him once or twice a year (usually thanking me for a birthday card) aside from that. He is an ESTJ who treated me like an inconvenience for most of my life and is pretty much just another person to me.

·
Old Man
2,834 Posts
Never knew him, ever they split when I was barely 3.

The fact that I can recall about 3-4 memories from that time, and none of them involve him, tell me I didn't think much of him. From what I have heard he seemed like an average guy, a bit chauvinist as well.

He died from a heart attack when I was in 4th grade, the disconnect was so large it had a literal no effect on me.

·
MOTM Dec 2011
8,651 Posts
I don't have much of a relationship with him. It's not that we don't get along so much as we never bonded in a father-daughter way. I see him maybe 2-3 times a year for dinner and it's rather surface, awkward conversation. He's never taken much interest in my life.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Weird, it's like the same situation I'm in but like totally mirrored. Have you tried to drag him into Personality Cafe? If he's at all like me he could get interested in personality types and learn a thing or two. I feel that I understand and can connect with people much better now.

Ha en trevlig midsommar förresten! :happy:

41 - 60 of 89 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.