Personality Cafe banner

How would you rate your relationship with your mother? If dead, vote how it was.

• 0 - I never knew her so it would be a zero.

Votes: 8 1.2%
  • 1 - Very bad. We don't or barely talk.

Votes: 59 8.9%
  • 2 - We argue a lot but at least we talk.

Votes: 62 9.3%
  • 3 - It gets bad but we manage to work it out.

Votes: 70 10.5%
  • 4 - We have our ups and down, but we get along fine.

Votes: 319 47.9%
  • 5 - Excellent. We have a very open relationship. She is or like my best friend.

Votes: 148 22.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
957 Posts
I love my mom, but I get annoyed with her sometimes. I was a huge fuck up in high school, so I don't blame her frustration. I just sometimes feel like she needs to have a more open mind about things. That being said, I hope there comes a day when we have a better relationship and I can actually express my feelings for her. I'm not good at that right now.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I don't have much of a relationship with my mum. She looked after me before i left home and still does my ironing but thats about it. Its never been anything deeper than that she can't really go deeper than small talk and I can't really do small talk so we don't really talk much or if we do she doesn't really listen. she goe oh thats good or aww hope your okay but never really anything beyond that.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
My relationship with my mom is kind of… how ever it is..
I have never ever been so close with her, but I remember... I really admired her when I was a child.. I really, really, really loved her. Growing up, she’s still very deep in my heart, but at the same time, she's like a stranger....we are like strangers... she knows about me a lot, but actually she really doesn't know me anymore..
She drowns me down with her toooo caring nature.. she's still not used with that, that I'm 16 years old girl and I can make my own choices..even if I make a wrong choice, I learn from mistakes... but she still wants to control my doings and all in all she wants to control my life.. she still takes me as a 5 year old girl who needs all the love and care all the time..it's not bad, but the thing is... she gives it too much... like giving me a pressure with all that..but with all that she actually sometimes nearly kills me mentally with it, like taking away my oxygen..
I really hate when she doesn't listen me when I have something to say...she strongly believes that only she does the right thing and I'm doing it wrongly all the time... When I have something to say she just doesn't listen me and judges me because of my opinion(s)....
I'm sad that we have never ever had this mother-daughter relationship.. I really want to trust her, but I don't... I want to talk about her about my problems, but I can't.. she doesn't understand me... she usually only judges me.... she just makes things more uncomfortable and difficult for me, although I know, she only wants good....
I really don't want to complain, she's a wonderful person, but yet.....she's making things hard and difficult for me.

·
Old Man
2,834 Posts
4, we get along fine.

We've gotten a little bit closer due to us both being homeless and broke (I have a job, but its shitty) (She doesn't work) we are currently living at a family friend's house. I support her completely financially, and even put off my college plans for a year due to the money problem. Her lack of action and how she avoids something that needs to be said, piss me off to no end, and she still misinforms me about money, to "protect" me.

Then there's the guilt trips and the "I'm a terrible mother" thing, and yet we still get along fine. It takes far more than that to put me down, I'm at a good point in my life.

(INFP mother)

·
Banned
14,865 Posts
Not sure how I would begin to rate it. Maybe a zero. Basically I have constructed an entire persona just to be able to communicate with both my parents. They don't know who I really am in any way. Never will.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Maybe if she stopped telling me to be more sensitive ...

Actually, my relationship with my mum is pretty much like a roller-coaster. We get along fine, when we're not actually discussing something (we tend to agree to disagree, and that pisses her off, most of the time), or when she's not nagging, or when she's not forcing me to interact with other people more.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Caramel, stop thanking everyone's posts! Please do not thank mine!

Back on topic, big fat five. Growing up, she was the only friend I had, with the exception of my dad as well, but she understood me the most. Then I found some other friends when we moved to a new and better neighborhood.

I've become a bit more detached from her lately, but that's ok, that means I'm getting older and I finally realize I need to move on...

·
Registered
269 Posts
The more I get older, the more I realise how different we both are; she has little sense of adventure and gets all her parenting morals from superstitions. I only talk to her when I need to.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
I suppose I'll rate this as a zero as I've never been close with either of my parents. She is just another person to me whom I can tolerate on a very basic and superficial level a few hours at a time on holidays.

·
Registered
615 Posts
My mommy is my best, and only friend. :blushed: She may be a little bit nagging once or twice, and very quick to panic, but usually it's easy to get along with her (although she's an ESTJ just like my dad, I love her much more). She's charming and kind, and she cares for me financially, I adore her so much. :laughing: Although most of the long-term choices she makes for me don't work out, when she realizes it wouldn't work out, she usually gives me my own free will to choose my future. She is slightly rigid, but it complements my "lazy slacker" personality....And she's only spanks me when she is forced to or really angry, and it's tough to get her mad. :)

I Love My Mom >w<

·
Registered
281 Posts
I rated it a 4. We usually get along really well, but there's some stuff she just doesn't understand about me. She's an INFJ and keeps telling me to be nicer, while I keep telling her to stop being so nice.

·
MOTM Dec 2011
8,651 Posts

We are close, but we can have conflict also. I'm pretty open with her, but I hold back a bit from everyone in my life.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I would rate a 2. My mom passed away 4 years ago. I was holding her hand in the hospital room along with one of my brothers and a few family members. My mother died from serosis of the liver at 49. My relationship with her was a rocky one all my life. We fought cause of her drinking and the men she chose. I left home at 15. Even though we fought so much I still loved her more then anything else in the world. One minute she was my worst enemy and the next my best friend. I still miss her with all my heart and wish we had more time together.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I get on great with my mother, I think she is one of the only people I can trust with almost all of my true emotions. :proud:
She has been through a major transformation recently, from her 'unnatural' brought up state of ISTJ to almost an ENFP!
I feel secure around her even though she is probably the most neurotic, insecure person I know :p I love her to bits.

41 - 60 of 82 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.