Personality Cafe banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The stereotype that INTPs never get anything done has always bothered me, and maybe it's just arrogance on my part, but I feel like an INTP who isn't afraid of getting uncomfortable stands to be one of the most successful individuals on the planet.

When I read up a lot on INTPs they basically make us sound like Doc Brown from Back to the Future except without the time machine. Some weird eccentric lost in a dream world of his own physics at all hours with absolutely no concern over his physical appearance possibly surrounded by hoarded news papers like some kind of loon. I personally take offense to this idea which is a good thing because it has motivated me. I have quite literally dragged myself through the mud humiliating myself learning social norms and the result has been that I can quite literally switch modes into an ENTJ, grab the reigns, and get it done just like that. And I do it without the superiority complex I've tended to notice in ENTJs; I can tolerate incompetence and work around it as long as it isn't taking place at higher levels in the chain of command for the project. As INTPs we're known to be able to 'chameleon' ourselves and as such it has given me the ability to SMASH every job interview I've ever had out of the park, and has enabled me to approach virtually any group of people and fit in immediately. But this obviously came at the cost of going out and getting in uncomfortable social situations, and that takes the energy out of me rather than replenishes it. So it is taxing, but nothing some alone time won't fix.

Another strength I think INTPs have is that we can convalesce over our failures internally with ourselves. I was laid off last week and I just today nailed a phone interview and have an interview in person tomorrow. I spent about 4 hours listening to my iPod on a walk and came to the conclusion that I #$Y*ing hated that job and was going to find a better one damn soon. I did the exact same thing after my last break up too. I quite literally took a day of internal analysis and that sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach that made me want to just lay around in bed was nowhere to be found. I mean what other personality type can do that?

As INTPs I think we need to get jerked around a bit to learn, I've fought MMA in a cage, been booed at open mike night, and been rejected by hundreds of women, all of which I wear as a badge of honor because I think we need to develop that experience pool; fortunately, I think we're the most resilient people out there because I don't know about the rest of you, but I know that I'm an awesome person with tons to offer people in the ways of practical value and not just abstractions and theories.

So that's what I consider to be my successful development as a balanced successful person. By all means share yours or feel free to analyze mine.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I usually don't try to defy INTP stereotypes.

I promote the need to understand and embrace differences...including my own.

Subjective Sensors should understand that everyone else is not them and don't have to do something just because they themselves would do it.

The root cause of stereotypes is a focus on self and what one is personally accustomed to.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I read somewhere that INTPs often doubt their intellectual abilities and that can get them down from time to time much the way INFPs can doubt their ideological strength.

Maybe my drive ultimately comes from a need to constantly validate myself and quash my own self doubts. Is that healthy or insecure?? I'm definitely a happy person, that's for damn sure.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
The stereotype that INTPs never get anything done has always bothered me, and maybe it's just arrogance on my part, but I feel like an INTP who isn't afraid of getting uncomfortable stands to be one of the most successful individuals on the planet.

When I read up a lot on INTPs they basically make us sound like Doc Brown from Back to the Future except without the time machine. Some weird eccentric lost in a dream world of his own physics at all hours with absolutely no concern over his physical appearance possibly surrounded by hoarded news papers like some kind of loon. I personally take offense to this idea which is a good thing because it has motivated me. I have quite literally dragged myself through the mud humiliating myself learning social norms and the result has been that I can quite literally switch modes into an ENTJ, grab the reigns, and get it done just like that. And I do it without the superiority complex I've tended to notice in ENTJs; I can tolerate incompetence and work around it as long as it isn't taking place at higher levels in the chain of command for the project. As INTPs we're known to be able to 'chameleon' ourselves and as such it has given me the ability to SMASH every job interview I've ever had out of the park, and has enabled me to approach virtually any group of people and fit in immediately. But this obviously came at the cost of going out and getting in uncomfortable social situations, and that takes the energy out of me rather than replenishes it. So it is taxing, but nothing some alone time won't fix.

Another strength I think INTPs have is that we can convalesce over our failures internally with ourselves. I was laid off last week and I just today nailed a phone interview and have an interview in person tomorrow. I spent about 4 hours listening to my iPod on a walk and came to the conclusion that I #$Y*ing hated that job and was going to find a better one damn soon. I did the exact same thing after my last break up too. I quite literally took a day of internal analysis and that sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach that made me want to just lay around in bed was nowhere to be found. I mean what other personality type can do that?

As INTPs I think we need to get jerked around a bit to learn, I've fought MMA in a cage, been booed at open mike night, and been rejected by hundreds of women, all of which I wear as a badge of honor because I think we need to develop that experience pool; fortunately, I think we're the most resilient people out there because I don't know about the rest of you, but I know that I'm an awesome person with tons to offer people in the ways of practical value and not just abstractions and theories.

So that's what I consider to be my successful development as a balanced successful person. By all means share yours or feel free to analyze mine.
I have never doubted my intellectual ability. Sometimes I feel that I do not understand the lingo or definitions used by certain people, but I look at this like corporate culture and if they wanted me involved they would enlighten me on their subject.

In my opinion, stereotypes are for the stupid. To even use a stereotype you are limiting yourself and your understanding. I do not think that anyone can even accurately stereotype any complex living organism - not all dogs bark, nor do all trees have leaves. You have to get pretty basic to accurately stereotype anything - all people require water.

I agree with your post. I defy most stereotypes of INTPs. I was popular in school. I have no problem with meeting new people and enjoy the experience. I have dozens of good friends that would help me - more than I could count without spending time on a list. I would take it a step further and say that I do not like all intellectuals and pick on them sometimes at work. "If you can act smart then acting like the norm should not be a problem for you. Unless you are socially deficient in some form." I have made that statement before. I would make it again if I see any of them using their definition of knowledge to berate another.

Life is what you make it. That is why some are good at physics and the next person is good at baseball. It all varies on the individual's focus. Stereotypes are used by the inferior when they lack understanding but want to create a conclusion to the issue. Its like when I hit my hand with a hammer and yell "@#[email protected]#!!!!" instead of saying,"Hitting myself with the hammer has cause me great pain in my hand."

INTP is just my personality type. INTP lacks the ability to explain what I did or will do with the rest of my life. I like to test my limits and therefor have experienced so many different things that I will safely say there is no one on this planet exactly like me.

·
Banned
349 Posts
^
@nothingnew, it's evident that you're a well balanced person. Congrats! :happy:

But many of your particularities, I mean, non typical INTP behavior, could be associated with the fact that you're an enneagram 9, not the more usual E5 for INTPs. Also, probably your degree of introversion could be not too high.

Your sentence about "stereotipes are for stupid"... It depends on how you use it. If you see stereotypes like "if you're an X type, you must have unequivocally Y properties" then yeah, I agree, they're for stupids.

But if you take off the negative connotations of the word "stereotype", you get the alternative word "model". Models are simplified and limited representations of reality, the only way we could manage it (reality contains infinite information). Remember our conversation in the INTP Town thread? :wink:

Obviously, models should fit reality, not the opposite. Models try to represent reality, they do not make neither they can make reality. Who thinks the opposite is stupid, but models are useful because they're based in reality, so they "contain" a portion of the truth (the better bodel, the closer to the truth).

All of this comes because your sentence sounded a bit radical. I deny black but also white. All is formed by shades of grey (fuzzy logic).

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Ya MSM I should of posted that I was type 9. It is funny you said that because I almost edited to add that in. Type 9 is totally why I am compelled to pick on some of the a-holes I work with.

Stereotypes - I love critical thinking. Stereotypes are the enemy of that subject.
This definition from dictionary.com I like - Sociology . a simplified and standardized conception or image invested with special meaning and held in common by members of a group: The cowboy and Indian are American stereotypes.

Not all stereotypes contain a portion of the truth. If I made a dress code that said 'no sombreros or cowboy hats' would my dress code be racial stereotyping? I have never seen a Hispanic person that was wearing a sombrero. I used to live in a predominantly Mexican-American neighborhood for five years and I have been to Mexico twice. Perhaps it is the reader that has racial thoughts and not I.

- My theater and seating is limited therefore we cannot accommodate large hats - Due to common stereotyping this sentence may be needed on my dress code.

I completely see the need for models and generalizations on subjects to conduct daily life. Stereotyping is a different. It is more like a defining through generalizations based on ideas beyond the control of the individual being defining. 'That poor kid will steal my car stereo because he is broke.' There are exceptions to every rule.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Problem with me is not the INTP stereotype, my problem is that I dont take life seriously, dont feel the need for wealth and success. Dont feel the need to work extremely hard every day. Dont get me wrong, Im studying right now, soon to become a upper high school teacher(16-19 in my country). Which will be perfect for me, learning, talked about what Ive learned, 8 weeks paid vacation. My view on life may have to be with me being an INTP, but its not because of that limitation I aim as I do. I have had this world view before I explored MBTI.

Problem I think is, people value societal success to much, they cant chill in life.

·
Banned
349 Posts
I was thinking in the word "stereotypes" as models based in observation of the whole, not as a deduced properties like "one makes the whole" like the cowboy->american or sombrero->hispanic examples.

But with the meaning you're using it, I agree with your opinion.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts