Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my closest friends I'm pretty sure is also and INFP. we were really close about a year ago, a mutual friend of ours went like, mental. proper mental, we honestly thought she's buried herself into a hole and she would never find her way out.
she is ok now but the infp and I had really drifted apart since then, but recently I had a really deep, nice chat with her and I forgot how much we have in common and how much I like her - it seems that because neither of us are huge on small talk and often prefer to be alone, it's easy for us to grow apart. but when we get together we have a laugh and when we talk we just get on so well :)
but yeah she's like, really INFP. more than me, she's more introverted and a lot shyer and crazier and a bit wierder.
so whats your experience with our kind?

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
Every INFP I've met in real life has been abnormally difficult.

#1 There was this one girl that would never stop yapping about the things she overcame in her life and how incredible she is because of it. I love inspirational stories, but it was very "arf arf, pet me pet me pet me!" and it would just go on and on. She was one of those people that would talk for 2 hours, say 'but that's enough about me, how was your day?' I'd talk for 5 mins and she'd go back on a tangent about herself.

#2 Another girl was just so un-inspirational. She'd never make an effort on anything and then blame society, or her mom, or friends, whatever. Towards her birthday, she did a Facebook event for people to sign up.... NO ONE RSVPed. Then she went off on a spiteful guilt trip on everybody. "Since none of my 'friends' want to go to the pub with me on my BIRTHDAY..." Beyond this, she had this odd princess complex (center of attention), but wouldn't respect that others sometimes had other priorities at the time.

In both cases, I let those 'friendships' slide quickly.

With that said, I'm still optimistic based on the experiences I've had with people on here.

·
Registered
252 Posts
The only other INFPs I have ever encountered are online, or at least I think they are INFPs. There is one person I'm messaging back and forth on another forum, and she (or at least that's the vibe I'm getting) seems to be an INFP. She seems a bit more reserved about talking about herself, whereas I'm more open. I just feel drawn to her in some way I can't explain.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
INFPs have had the biggest influence on my life.

My mother is also an INFP and I've mentioned before... she's just a beautiful and healthy version of who I want to be. I don't think she's quite as fruit-looped as me, she seems to have a more logical stance in the world...that may be a thing that has come with age. But she is still very ethereal and has many of the same values as I do. I can see so much of myself in my mother and we just get on like a house on fire... we rarely need to talk about deep subjects with one another because it's like we understand each other without words, it's amazing.

The second INFP in my life is a girl I met in school. We met in a behavioral unit, we both had social anxiety, depression and couldn't cope with academic settings. All in all, we're both a little bit mad and when we get together we're so comfortable. I would say I seem to take more responsibility for my place in the world and feel I see the bigger picture more. We can become total louts and very enfp when we get together, but we can also talk about absolute everything with total understanding. We also respect eachothers need for space... if we don't see eachother for a month, we'll meet up and instantly click again.

So my experience of INFPs is so far amazing. I just feel at home with them :)

·
Banned
2,025 Posts
Not well with obvious INFPs, I suppose, because I haven't had a lasting friendship with such a person. Too many clashes, following connections made online. That's if the person isn't too mute to connect with initially.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Well, let's see...

She's very introverted, but when she talks about the world, about people, I always think that she has seen the world through. She writes a lot, and she's good at it. I love that. Whenever we meet, I get a treasureful (did I just made that up? probably) of advice from her. We can talk for hours and not feel socially tired. And she has cute little complexes - she dislikes her head because she thinks it's the shape of a watermelon. And she tries not to eat chocolate in front of me, because then she starts to lisp and she thinks it's awful. She's the first INFP I've known.

She has the ultimate Dreamer's eyes. Always clouded with something. She seems out of the world even when she's talking to me and looking right at me. On the inside she's very mature, possibly too much. She dislikes being a child that she still is. She suffered a lot from her past relationships and now she's afraid to fall for someone. She loves meadows, even though she's allergic.

She's my classmate. She has a very soft voice, I enjoy listening to her. She has a passion for fashion (zing!) and she's very daydreamy. I like her imagination.

She loves nature and hates when there's bad mood between her and her parents and family. She's soft (not talking about something in particular, just the feeling I have of her) and I feel she has a strong F. She's the Peacemaker.

Those are four INFPs that I have the most frequent contact with. No INFP dudes I know of. And I didn't mention about four or five more girls that I assume are INFP but I'm not sure yet.

*sigh* Sometimes I wish my life wasn't that full of NFs. An ENTP would have been lovely. But... you attract what you are.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Really, really well. I work with two now and there was an instant like and connection. We have great chemistry and conversation and I love the sparkle in both of their eyes. I find them to be real, down to earth, interesting and intelligent. They make me proud to be INFP and I hope people see in me what I see in them.

·
MOTM Dec 2011
8,651 Posts
There are two people I've met that I would confidently call INFP; one is an older woman I know via church who is incredibly nice, but very offbeat. Her speech is hard to follow & people think she's nuts, but if you follow her, then you see she's totally brilliant & insightful. I'd say she's an e9, so she has a people-pleaser thing going on sometimes, but it doesn't seem to infringe on her oddness.

The other was a college aged INFP who was a bit self-absorbed, insecure, & socially stupid, but nothing that age might not remedy. Not a bad guy, but he was not attractive to me.

There are two other women I've known who I suspect are INFP (but could be something else) & they're awesome also. One was my college art history professor who had the free spirit intellectual thing going on, and the other is another woman at my church who is incredibly elegant a la Audrey Hepburn, a bit aloof, and married to this INTJ rocket scientist (literally...). Both seem to have led pretty admirable, interesting lives & have pleasant demeanors. My art history teacher totally loved me & she was a favorite prof of mine also.

I've had a lot of "false alarms" with ISFPs; I would type a fellow Fi-dom as INFP because I sensed some similarity & got excited, but then I determined in time they are much more likely ISFP.

·
Registered
4,636 Posts
I only know one other INFP. We were best friends in middle school but she was hard to deal with sometimes... I think I was healthier than her in some ways, she can't deal with people and holds a lot of grudges and passive aggressive-aggressive behavior... she was really possessive and sometimes hurtful too. I think we both didn't do well with open conflict so our relationship went into silent resentment for a while, both feeling the other had hurt them. I kind of cut of contact for a year but we have since apologized and talk again, but not much in person- she has no car, I can't drive, different schools, both introverted, and we've both just changed so much since middle school I feel very uncomfortable. I can't be what she wants me to be anymore.

But I do love her and we got along very well. She was the only person who "got" me. Her problems kind of were eerily like mine... maybe that's why it's so difficult.

I have lots of ENFP friends and my sister, and lots of INFJ friends and my mom. Don't know why INFPs are harder to find.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I know this INFP girl who I talk to with some frequency. Contrary to most INFP's though she approached me first. It wasn't for a while before we talked about the MBTI. The thing with her though is that she is really quiet and unconfident, which makes conversation difficult at times. And our interests overlap at times, but not very much at times. Such interests include music (she likes metal, Joy Division, and Alice Cooper; I like Punk, alt./college rock, and Joy Division), technology (well really more like one talk abou OS's), animation (pixar), and video games (I being the huge geek, she enjoying it occasionally). Still I enjoy talking to someone when occasion arises.

We both have a mutual friend who I met before meeting the first girl. We both think that she might be an INFP, but still, we don't know until she takes a test herself.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Well I know 3 and I like them all.
The problem lies in the fact that in each case the motivation is lacking on both ends to maintain a friendship.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I know one INFP and once I know her better I'll tell you.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I know one INFP (I'm 95% sure in this) girl in college. We have similar sense of humor and we get a long great.
Then there is this other girl who might be an INFP. She's very quiet so it's hard to tell, but I like her a lot. She has that 'sweet, innocent and elegant' thing going on, which seems to be very rare in this world.

They are the first possible INFP's I've met, so, so far so good.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Every INFP I've met in real life has been abnormally difficult.

#1 There was this one girl that would never stop yapping about the things she overcame in her life and how incredible she is because of it. I love inspirational stories, but it was very "arf arf, pet me pet me pet me!" and it would just go on and on. She was one of those people that would talk for 2 hours, say 'but that's enough about me, how was your day?' I'd talk for 5 mins and she'd go back on a tangent about herself.

#2 Another girl was just so un-inspirational. She'd never make an effort on anything and then blame society, or her mom, or friends, whatever. Towards her birthday, she did a Facebook event for people to sign up.... NO ONE RSVPed. Then she went off on a spiteful guilt trip on everybody. "Since none of my 'friends' want to go to the pub with me on my BIRTHDAY..." Beyond this, she had this odd princess complex (center of attention), but wouldn't respect that others sometimes had other priorities at the time.

In both cases, I let those 'friendships' slide quickly.

With that said, I'm still optimistic based on the experiences I've had with people on here.
Seems like you were looking at them as potential date interests rather than "friends". That explains why you seem to cling on their bad qualities rather than the rest of them.

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
Seems like you were looking at them as potential date interests rather than "friends". That explains why you seem to cling on their bad qualities rather than the rest of them.
Very true for the most part. When you're a soul searcher, you look at virtually everyone as a potential romantic possibility, but never push it too heavily at first. In -most- cases I will shift it towards a friendship.

With the 2 people I mentioned though, they valued the ear that belonged to anyone, oppose to one that specifically connected to my head. In essence, they needed 'anybody', but didn't offer anything of value in return. -- Sounds negative, but I believe all types of relationships need to be reciprocal in benefit, I don't want to be just a punching bag.

·
Registered
607 Posts
One of my brothers is an INFP and I love him to pieces. We don't live in the same city or talk a lot, but when we're around each other we're very close and get each other instantly. We also congratulate each other on our excellent taste in music and introduce each other to new music every time we get together. ;) He's difficult for a lot people and can be seen as grouchy, a mumbler, anti-social, and gruff ..borderline rude... He is, but I know why he is, so it always just makes me smile.

He briefly dated an INFP, and she and I clicked instantly. We're a lot different in so many ways, but I just loved her the moment I met her and we still keep in touch. They were terrible together though - high highs and low lows and both completely irresponsible and fairly lost at this point in their lives.

·
Registered
16,034 Posts
My friend's husband is an INFP and when we go out to dinner he spends most of the time talking to my husband (an ISFJ). I spend most of the time talking to his wife, my friend. He's very much not into conflict, pretty easy going and hahahaha - - ->> it's funny that when his wife and I go out by ourselves and she bitches about him and how he won't do this and won't do that in the house -- I tell her "That sounds just like me." He is sooooo much like me and she is sooooo much like my husband. I wouldn't be surprised if she's an ISFJ.

The other INFP I know is at work. We were attending a seminar together and he told me Local Hero was his fav movie. I said "OMG! I've never met anyone else who has seen that movie!!!" He is cool, stays to himself a lot, isn't into conflict too much but does what he has to do as part of his job. He's one of the head honchos at work. Been there as long as I have, 20+ years.

I think that is all the INFPs I know IRL. Both have taken the test.

·
Registered
68 Posts
i've had both.

one infp girl, i could talk to her for hours on end about everything. but just as our friendship peaked, it took a huge dive. we both went our separate ways and i think we're too timid to get in touch again. besideswhich, i think my course of life and way of telling stories annoys the hell out of her.

the other one i'm not that close with. i know her name and she lets me in her physical bubble (when a mutual friend is involved, anyway), but she scares the crap out of me. mostly because i'm not sure how to get her yapping without scaring her. she's completely closed off, and it's sad.

·
Registered
INFP 4w5 sp
5,359 Posts
With the few INFPs I've known I've gotten along splendidly, better than with most other people, we just have such a soul connection and feel really comfortable together.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.