Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just been thinking about the way I write a lot lately, and I posted this onto the INFJ forum to see if it's congruent with other's writing styles. Then I kind of got interested how INFP's write, because I love you guys so much.

------------------------------------------------

1. I write to be read. It never feels complete unless someone's seen it.
2. I write with particular people in mind, usually a single person. I don't mean to say I focus on an audience, I mean that my writing naturally develops for a specific audience without thought.

3. I can't write about my inner self without using a myriad of metaphors. If I try to write about myself directly, it's always sloppy and out of order, jumbled and confused, as though it's just nonsense.

4. I love messing with the structure of the writing. I like interesting formats.
e.g. instead of JUST a conversation, a text conversation written with poetic structure

5. I'm really good at analytically passionate writing. It's never the kind of writing, that if read, is going to make someone cry. Instead, people just say they feel uneasy, or just "off", maybe kind of "understanding" after they read the things I wrote, if it was something sad. Otherwise, I tend to make people laugh with the way I write short stories. The feeling I evoke are either really positive, mixed, or uneasy, basically.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
"IT was a wonderful night, such a night as is only possible when we are young, dear reader. The sky was so starry, so bright that, looking at it, one could not help asking oneself whether ill-humoured and capricious people could live under such a sky. That is a youthful question too, dear reader, very youthful, but may the Lord put it more frequently into your heart ! . . ."

- F.M. Dostoevsky, White Nights

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Death came to me an early afternoon in March some sixty years into my life. I cannot say I was surprised, for although most humans manage beautifully to ignore some of the more fundamental principles of cellular biology, I had never mastered the art. The conversation was short but amiable, arrangements had been made and off I went. I would love to tell you all about it, but I shall have to do so some other time. Instead, I offer you not an account, but some recollections of those sixty-or-so years that preceded this auspicious event. Although of less obvious interest, it is my hope that you shall find them sufficiently amusing for a late afternoon or two.

I would love to tell the tale chronologically, as in, "Harry was born on March 14th, August 1965, to a pair of secret paedophiles in Little Bourne, Surrey" - but this, I lament to say, is beyond my powers. It is not entirely unfathomable that my life did unravel in an acceptably chronological order, but if so, my mind failed to record it thus. What I have resembles less a Jules Verne novel and more your average bachelor's bathroom cabinet.

I shall let you into that cabinet now.

With my sincerest apologies,

Leopold Rutherford

·
Registered
951 Posts
This made me smile because I'm the complete opposite. I write all the time, but most of the time I just end up deleting it (either I think no one will be interested, or it's too personal), even sometimes not ever intending it to be read. But the process of writing is enough. I would argue that if I'm tied down to only writing what people would read, then I can't be truly creative.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
I've just been thinking about the way I write a lot lately, and I posted this onto the INFJ forum to see if it's congruent with other's writing styles. Then I kind of got interested how INFP's write, because I love you guys so much.

------------------------------------------------

2. I write with particular people in mind, usually a single person. I don't mean to say I focus on an audience, I mean that my writing naturally develops for a specific audience without thought.

3. I can't write about my inner self without using a myriad of metaphors. If I try to write about myself directly, it's always sloppy and out of order, jumbled and confused, as though it's just nonsense.

4. I love messing with the structure of the writing. I like interesting formats.
e.g. instead of JUST a conversation, a text conversation written with poetic structure

5. I'm really good at analytically passionate writing. It's never the kind of writing, that if read, is going to make someone cry. Instead, people just say they feel uneasy, or just "off", maybe kind of "understanding" after they read the things I wrote, if it was something sad. Otherwise, I tend to make people laugh with the way I write short stories. The feeling I evoke are either really positive, mixed, or uneasy, basically.
Thanks for the kind words ! I enjoy reading INFJs, they are soothing in a way ? I'm not sure how to put it.

I try to cramp my words as best as possible, I follow the "less is more" principle. Less ideas means less connections to make for the reader, that means that there are less chances that he/she will understand me in the wrong way, or plainly not follow me through. I can put more effort in the overall feel, tone, and structure of sentences when there are fewer as well. I have a hard time articulating my ideas when there are a lot of them though. Long messages are a torture for me to write.

·
MOTM June 2012
9,330 Posts
My writing style so far, consists of a few main things:

1. Powerful emotional elements or themes as a starting point for a story. I usually use it for the ending, which I feel can sometimes be the most powerful part of the story. Young love that reveals obsession and addiction; old age that brings regrets and redemption; the quest for meaning expressed through the old and the young; the visceral emotions that shade our lives.

2. Contrasting images, themes, or symbolism. In one story a young girl is asking her mother questions about death, yet the story ends with the mother's realization that she is pregnant. In another, I use the contrasting imagery of light and darkness and feeling constricted vs. feeling free to highlight the emotional states of the character dealing with the fallout of a breakup.

3. Symbolism. In one story a powerful storm symbolizes a woman's emotional state as she is going to drown herself in a lake, while a mountain she looks at symbolizes her lost ambitions. In another story the coming winter symbolizes a man's old age as he reflects on his mistakes in the winter of his life.

4. Rich powerful prose. I try to write in a way that will stay with people, in a way that conveys power, beauty, and depth. Tone in a story is one of the things that I prioritize and I feel that good prose is often a product of good tone and vice versa.

·
4,816 Posts
hm... I mainly write informal things, like forumposts, mail etc. And then I think I usually write to reflect my thoughts, as far as possible without it becoming completely incomprehensible. So there are lots of commas and brackets within brackets and... thought pauses... and that kind of things to try to follow the thoughts. I guess it gets a bit messy, and perhaps at times difficult to follow, but I feel like I loose part of the message that is carried by the tone etc, if I make the text too organised and structured.

Quite a bit of metaphores and similies, much more if I write at night than day. I am bad at being succinct, and often go off on tangents. If I attemt to write something that should sound good, or just happen to do so by accident but like it, it is often when it sounds like there is motion of different kinds in the text, speeding up, slowing down, oscillating, swaying back and forth...

If I direct the text at someone I know well, or otherwise too I guess, but at all as much then, I will usually speak quite a bit between the lines, hide little things there, not expected to be perceived always, sometimes I have no hopes they will be seen, I just want them to be there for myself, or to be there so that they can be seen, if the person is succeptible to it. It can be in many different ways, but usually putting little hooks in the text that could fish up memories, concepts or emotions either in me, or in the person I direct it at. I think some might call this manipulation. To me it is an essential part of conversation, in a way less invasive than direct conversation, as it only works if the person is succeptible to the "hooks". The connections and conclusions take place in their mind. Tracing each others thoughtpatterns and start the thought in one of our minds and let it finish in the other person's mind.

·
Banned
232 Posts
I relate to your first 2 points, especially No1. That's probably down to my 3 wing.

Any time I come up with an idea for a book, it's always character driven. The characters develop before the plot ever does. When it comes down to actually creating the plot, I become obsessed in making it complex -not to make myself seem more intelligent but because it makes the process that much more fun and also cause it engages my Ne (my favourite function). In school, whenever we had to write articles about a topic in the fashion of 'For or Against', my teacher would always point out how easily convincing my writing style was, even when I had to be 'For' a controversial subject. I think it was this that inspired me to want to write about dark subjects -not to necessarily promote them, but to spark questions the reader may have never thought of asking themselves. In other words, to disturb/unsettle them (lol), in a good way.

Describing in detail a setting, appearance etc -I find it the easiest aspect, what is difficult is articulating abstract thoughts the character has. It's nearly impossible to not come off as cheesy. And I hate cheesy. Speaking of cheesy, only one of my stories include love interests. Romance is not my thing. And the one love interests I've created, love only one another -no love triangle. I've always believed love triangles are a cheap tool to stimulate tension. I don't like the idea of basing an entire story on 'Who will they end up with?'. Something much more important has to be happening.

I can't end a story for shit, I don't know how to. Even though I've written the completed plot beforehand, I often second guess myself at the last minute.

That's all I can recollect about my writing.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Here's what I've noticed and heard about my writing style:

1.) I rarely, if ever, have a first and final draft that is different to what I present to people. I don't go with outlines, and people usually don't give me enough information to make substantial changes in the editing process. It's not that I feel above it or I feel it's unnecessary; I just feel like it's unnatural for me. My thoughts on paper are what's going through my head. I'm more creative when I'm able to come up with solutions to problems as I'm completing the task.

2.) I've been told that I have a powerful voice in my writing, and I'm very conversational. I suppose this stems from point one.

3.) I've never really been too good with metaphors. I prefer anecdotes or analogies. It's easier for me that way since it keeps my writing and thought process more down to Earth.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have noticed when writing fiction that I get inside characters' heads with ease and I have a fantastic time describing the environment vividly based on their senses. I have noticed with doing online writing role play in groups that compared to the others I am way more into describing what the character thinks and feels while they do things rather than how they look while doing things.
My mom is a published INFP and I have noticed her writing has powerful emotions and is very character driven.
I am shy about people reading my writing. I have many short stories I haven't shown a soul. I finished a novel during nanowrimo a couple years ago which I think has publishing potential but am still bogged down in revisions.
If I do publish, I want to go with a pen name, probably. My mom wrote two novels one right after another. Then she froze up and never finished another novel after random people she barely knew would come up to her and comment saying they read her book(s). She felt like it bared her soul too much and when she would try to write she couldn't stop thinking about all the people reading her books after that. Especially since some would be judgmental. She didn't want to be that vulnerable. Periodically she still starts writing and has published a few children's short stories based on true events but no more novels.
I don't want that to happen to me. All I have to do is picture my toxic mother in law (who doesn't even approve of fiction because it is "lying") picking up my novel. Pen name forever!
Also, if I get into academic research in my field I will have to use my real name and I don't want to muddy the waters with novels published already under my real name.

·
Registered
701 Posts
My writing style... I'm in first placed focused on my characters and the bonds between them. I never really enjoyed action, fantasy- stuff. I prefer to work with the depth of life and the human - being. My stories are mostly centered in first place around the characters and the relationships. Not in the boring psychological way. I kind of have the talent that people, who don't even grasp anything of the deeper layers or psychologic -things about it, still totally loved to read the story, I have a HUGE fantasy and it comes easily to imagine all kind of scenario's and write them down. But personally, for me it's all about the characters and their feelings towards each other. I make big, constructions with it that are the flow of the story. My stories are in first place thought- constructions with lots of connections in it. It's full of underlying meanings, feelings, motives... I never write just ''story-lines'' that's boring. For me, writing is not about the story. It's about building a round construction. And mostly everything, just flows naturally when I started, I always started to see new things and meanings in my own stories and built further on it, till it's very very complex, and I see so many interpretations in it that I don't even need to imagine it anymore, but just pick one out to built it up further, lol, call it extraverted intuition. :)
Oh, and when it comes to style; visually and quite poetic, because visually and senses provoke more feelings. I want to make it seem as ''real'' as possible. I want to make it alive. That's very important for me, personally.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I love it when people read it, I'm quite successful... - - on the internet, lol. But I don't let people I know in real-life ever read anything. Because it flows and comes out of the deepest, rawest, at the same time most sensitive and fragile part of my soul. It's so sensitive and deep and far from anything like my mask I wear. It's so personal. It would be feel the same as showing someone a naked-pic or something.
I mean, people think I'm cute and innocent. That's the mask. That's the bullshit. I'm creative. In art, I have no limits and I'm quite arty :) So... I prefer to keep the deep, raw, sensitive things to myself. I think I'm an artist in first- place, not an innocent, sweet little girl , but I let people believe I am. :) Although, most sense it's there, haha. :)

Hmm. I haven't really write about my inner-self directly, yet I easily put a lot of my inner-self in some characters. At this moment, I have an ENFP- lead- character and she's still her own person, and I never leave the story, but yet, what I write, it's so in line with myself. :) It's very refreshing, writing about ENFP's - you learn to play on your extraverted side, it's another type, yet so intriguering the same to write about. What I love about ENFP's is that their strong happy intuition is so in contrast with their fragile Fi, and aah, it's so fantastic to write about ENFP's! - But this aside, haha :). That's at this moment my way to ''translate'' my inner-self into it. But I have no difficulties with it. At the contrary. I think NFP's are naturally extremely well in any kind of self-expressions, because they are so in touch with their deeper inner-self and because they have extraverted intuition, translate it automatically in ideas, concepts, language.. ect..

4. I love to play with language and sounds, working to find perfect discriptions, ect...

5. I write to provoke feelings. I have done all kind of things, beautiful things, heartbreaking things, vague things, heavy things, very fragile, quiet/scenere things, ''wrong'' things, I TOTALLY love to make feel people uneasy at well. Haha. I love to provoke feelings. :)

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
...Contrasting images, themes, or symbolism. ...
This one reminded me of something else I might have liked to put:

I write paradoxically (or ironically?). I love juxtaposing opposites, and then reversing their roles. Things such as darkness meaning fulfillment, or a gold/silver as a symbol for poverty, etc.

e.g. A sword's motions being described as writing (A bit of a twist on "the pen is mightier than the sword".)
"With beautiful expression, he oh so neatly etched the marks upon the parchment of his (s)kin, for what could this be called besides poetry? Ah, the rhetoric of it's crimson ink, so smooth a texture. Descending loops, swirls and straight lines, commas and apostrophes all throughout the body, a true masterpiece, finished with a single dot, a period of bliss, and then it ends. A very critical review, you see."

--

Also, so you guys don't misunderstand on #1, one person is enough for me to consider it read.
It's not a matter of feedback, it's a matter of sentiment, feeling. I feel like I can't judge my own thoughts.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
@Summery

It is interesting you should mention characters being of great importance to you, and storylines of secondary importance... For me, characters are something of a necessary evil to populate my stories with, a bit like you need to paint a few bushes to decorate a scene - but what the scene really is all about is the big tree in the middle. For me, that tree is ideas... Profound, deep, existential ideas.

It seems to me that this character-focused approach to literature is common among INFPs... My INFP SO focuses very much on characters and finds great importance in little things they do - the way they brush their hair, perhaps, or how they suppress a smile. I hope to develop this side of my reading and writing with her help. I generally test closest to INFP (but don't trust MBTI enough to pick an MB type) - however for me, literature is largely a matter of grand existential ideas, beautiful language and, occasionally, humour (I love Terry Pratchett, for instance).

Descriptions are another "invisible" piece of literature to me; I find description-heavy stories tiring to read (Dan Simmon's award-winning Hyperion is a good example) and I never create visual imagery in my head when reading. An acquaintance was shocked to find out I never visualise the characters I read about - somehow my mind simply doesn't operate in those terms. I don't know if there is a connection, but I am also not particularly interested in visual arts.

Finally, I find it very strange that many writers are playwrights as well. I suppose there are similarities, but performing arts feel very alien to me. I'm not into theatre at all and I find movies immensely inferior to books in almost every single way.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I think here's the difference- INFJs have a cause. they want to write interestingly and contradictingly and thinkingly, and they do so very brilliantly, and they need to be heard, not in an attention-seeking way exactly, but because they genuinely have something they want others to understand. There is an external cause. People that write allegorical stories, like 'lord of the flies', i can see as INFJ. Because they wrap a moral, cause, lesson, etc., in a package with a beautiful binding. You say how you like to experiment with your perspectives, with characters. It's to better reach your audience, and it works superbly.
Now, we INFPs aren't quite like that.Or at least me. I don't need people to understand or 'get' or 'join forces' with my ideas about the material world, because i naturally assume that they won't. But what i want to do when i write is convey emotions that anyone and everyone universally will understand. Like 'perks of being a wallflower' or 'the outsiders'... These are stories that everyone picks up and says, "I totally remember feeling like this. I adore this character because it reminds me of me." I want people to understand themselves and the people around them, and me, in a more subtle way, through this mask of story-telling. And most of all, i want them to lose themselves in my stories and feel a little bit happier after reading them, like there's a little more magic in the world.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Every so often I'll write something and the ending is perfect - it leaves you with THAT feeling, where you jump out of your chair and you sit back down, and you think about what just happened, and how everything in the story consummates in a pinnacle of complete, perfect, pure, condensed harmony.

And then I write utter trash for the next 5 years. :p

·
4,816 Posts
This thread is so interesting! I have so much thoughts now...

@Summary - I really am curious to read something by you now, your post certainly sell it well :) Sounds great.
@Reticence - I really like that kind of paradoxthrownaround-thing too, not that I could write them, but reading them, it produces some kind of "aha!"-feeling in the brain that is a bit druglike.
@Thay - That post seem to make you make much more sense(I might have misinterpreted though). It is very opposite to how I read. It made me think of a quote someone made in some thread here some days or weeks ago... I can't quite remember the wording, but it was to the effect of that wisdom say "you are nothing" while love say "you are everything"(thanks quoter! whoever it was), and it felt like a key to me to explain these two sides of reality(as I can never be succinct myself I am always impressed by those who can). I read in more to it, how to explain... sort of expanding it to the outside-version("wisdom"), and the inside-version("love"). From that post you seem to live in the wisdom-world largely, and read stories like that? If so I can see how details and visual descriptions are then uninteresting "nothing", and the people secondary. I read some books more in that way, it depends on the book. But to get the "inside-version"-word people are needed, it is the filter, that makes the whole insideversion-world come into being, and it is built through all those little details, they are the stuff it is built of, whole greater than the sum of the parts... I don't feel I am explaining this well... haha, another post some time ago I connecte to this was by... @FireflyEmperor? about how the miracle of existance and how evolution has through it all brought us here and what do we do? watch cutecat-videos. and I though that could be read two ways: "watch cute cat videos... (we're stupid and misdirected)" or "watch cute cat videos! (one of the miraculous crowns of existence that we are so blessed as to be the audience of!)". Beacuse as there is nothing that is universally true as to what is of value and importance, who is to say we should spend our lives trying to understand... hologram-theory, or if there is a shared consiousness or how life come to be or whatever? From the outside-version perspective it is all still nothing, while from the inside-version perspective, the highest value in life could be the appreciation of cats, or the beauty of hair being brushed, and the most complex thing to figure out could be another person. And that is why detail(but not endless descriptions, just enough is enough imho) and people are essential in stories for me, because the details make up the pattern of the filter(see the filter more like one that add than subract) that create the inside-word of that specific person. A portal of sorts :) . (feels like I made this so much more complicated than it is, someone can perhaps rewrite this into one sentence for me?)

-and lastly @Lucyintheskyyy (I am so social today! @ -ing people like this, must be the double amount of coffee I had... hope I am not being too annoying) I actually relate about as much to both your description of infj and infp, more as reader thuough, or just generally how I communicate with people. I guess a combination is ultimate to me, as the "cause" in an more intellectual understanding... doesn't seem to motivate and stay with me the same way, usually, as if I have through someone elses eyes actually lived it, felt it, then it can at times seep into my own core. (which is a bit scary at times). And if it is just about relating, recognising, it becomes a bit too circular for me (I like those too, once in a while, it is comforting), I want my world to expand and change.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
@attic

Thanks, that makes sense. The quote is from the Indian teacher Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj and it says "Wisdom is knowing I am nothing; love is knowing I am everything. Between the two my life flows."

I can see how I tend to look at everything from the first perspective, and understand the latter poorly. Hmmm....

·
Registered
104 Posts
I love playing with words, pick fancy, different adjectives, and put tons of puns in my stories. I actually won a writing contest once, but it's french, so I won't post it here.

There was a project at school in which we had to write in a book and then everyone else would read it. The first objective was to tell about our personality. Instead, I wrote over 300 words on why I wouldn't write "I am", an horror everyone wrote in their books.

I used to write a lot, but a lot of random stuff on my essays/exams/whatever, but I would then erase it. This year, I decided to not censor anything; we'll see how long I can do this without consequences. :p

Oh, and yea, the characters. It comes to me naturally, I don't really need to work on my characters, it comes out natural all the time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys, tell me, please, how did you develop the culture of your writing? How did you find your writing style? What helped you?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts