Personality Cafe banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,077 Posts
Old thread is an old thread.

I would rather write, than speak.

...with that said...

...I would like -- to take this opportunity in the "Writing Thread" -- to apologize for about 24 years on forums such as this, of awful writing skills, grammar disasters, nonsensical thoughts and misspelled words.

If I ever were to write the great American novel, I would need about 10 editors.

This new theme at PerCafe, automatically hooks in and has access to, a plugin on my Chrome browser called Grammarly.

I don't even remember downloading and installing Grammarly but there it is, flashing every single misspelled word and Writing Sin, I am making in real time.

And that is how I know, an apology, for 1/4th of a century of writing, "shittily", is in order.

Imagine someone vomiting straight away onto the screen of this forum. That is how I write. It just comes out. It is like Vomit of Consciousness, akin to STREAM of Consciousness.

Vomit. I really need to hire a brand new writing staff.

·
Registered
INFP 459 sp/sx
62 Posts
When I write about my feelings or what I suspect are the feelings of another person or group of people, I often obfuscate on purpose with the hope I'll find some new combination or insight in the stew I'm brewing up in my brain meats and on whatever medium I'm using to write. I'll experiment with various ethoses, mythoi, syntax, tones, and (relatively) esoteric words. Whenever I'm writing about feelings, I'm usually experimenting with different angles to see what results.

I'm already well-aware of my feelings and mostly the feelings of others, so writing about them in a plain-spoken manner can seem flippant to me. It's more interesting to explore values by playing out how they might elicit emotions in others when employing a more complex way of expressing them. Hopefully, I'll discover some new irony to generate new meaning. So, sometimes what I write can be "weird," "cringy," "pretentious," or whatever. Sometimes it is necessary to get a glimpse into what's authentic and what's not in others. That or Epimetheus smiles on me -- my writing may just be execrable.

When I write about nonfiction, I generally try to be as plain-spoken as possible because that's how I was taught to write. My writing in this respect may have deteriorated a bit since graduating from university.

·
Registered
My vehicle is INFP, 9w8. Vroom vroom!!
1,592 Posts
I write to express something inside in an abstract way until the need to express is complete—but the book never is! It's a great way to explore my random ideas concerning space, aliens and robots. Like they say the Y-chromosome has been shrinking over time—how about a romance between a "man" from the future and someone from the present, allowing me to explore my feelings and reasonings about gender and other hot topics? And nobody needs to read it but me. I don't think anyone else would like what I write, because my writing is my explorations in peace and freedom. People in general don't want to get to know me so deeply, nor do they need to. If I wrote for someone to read, I wouldn't have enough space to experiment.

I'm in a stage of refining my expression of experiences of the senses. I have gotten much better at describing food and flavors, thanks to adventures with my Si-dom husband. I like collecting evocative words and phrases. A commercial I've seen mentions "floors kissed by bare feet." It says so much about the scene!

21 - 23 of 23 Posts