Personality Cafe banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been doing quite a lot of physical exercises lately in order to stay fit and while doing that I was observing my mental well-being. I've felt this many times and this time I decided to write a blog post about it.

Yesterday I did some regular exercise stuff and while ending the set I tried out how many squats I could perform and I did 100 and I was able to do few more, but didn't, and my goal is 200 (irrelevant but check it out two hundred squats), ok, after that I started to feel pain in my body (normal muscle pain) and it kind of grew stronger, and my perception towards things changed dramatically. I was quite exhausted and my mood dropped. My current state of mentality started to remind me of depression. Few things troubling my mind that were quite easy to handle turned into 100 meter high tsunami.

My mind literally turned against me and I had to take painkillers and convince myself that physical pain is just multiplying everything and that I'm highly overreacting. It helped me and I also had to ease it through crying and writing about it. I just slept 4 hours after being so exhausted and now I'm feeling better. :)

Conclusion is that being a HSP it kind of multiplies every sensory input and physical pain can sometimes feel like torturing. I'm not really sure how and why it exactly creates mental state that reminds me of depression, perhaps it's somehow related to that withstanding the pain has its limits and eventually you just wish the pain to stop and become so desperate and hopeless about it. Perhaps it also might be that since body is in pain mind kind of mixes it with a normal (emotional) response to things. Thus mind creates this illusion that all negative things are way worse than they really are.

Oh and thanks to @PlushWitch. :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
This really resonates with me! I get so moody when I'm hungry/tired/in pain, more so than most people... I also have to remind myself "it's just the pain making you feel bad, calm down."

The more I read about HSPs the more I think I might be one, which is weird since I always thought of myself as "cold" (INTJ), but it makes sense, especially the propensity for sensory overload. I have a hard time watching (or even hearing about) violence in movies or on the news. Sometimes I'll even feel a physical ache when I hear something really painful being described!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts