·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Laurie is epic

Reactions: Kittann

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi. I'm English and have only watched a couple of episodes of House. Can't get used to the American accent! I have loved Hugh Laurie and his comedy partner and best friend Stephen Fry from childhood. Hugh went to Eton and then Cambridge where he met Stephen and dated Emma Thompson and went on to the Cambridge Footlights which is where most of Monty Python come from. He is upper middle class like Stephen and Emma and they all worked together mainly on very upper crust characters - I see you have him being King George and lieutenant George. He also plays Bertie Wooster - I will link it.
Like House he is an atheist with a very dry sense of humour and he also appears grumpy a lot but he is actually just anxious - he worries all the time that he is no good at anything and his friends have to reassure him a lot. He get very stressed out if complemented. He is actually a very polite and reserved person. He also acted in a dance movie. Will link you some good stuff. Ah - it won't let me link.
Search Jeeves and wooster on youtube and also -Hugh Laurie Dancing 'girl from rio' music vid - and Fry and Laurie reunited. There are 5 parts of an hour and a half long biography of Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie - Fry and Laurie reunited - you see their lives and they discuss it - very very funny,

·
Registered
856 Posts
He did an archaeology and anthropology degree at Cambridge university because he said it seemed like an easy degree to do in the background with all the rowing he wanted to do. He was on the rowing team in his second year. He would have joined during his first year, but he caught gastric fever, so he joined Cambridge Footlights instead (thank goodness!). He apparently flipped a coin to decide if he would be captain of the rowing team or footlights during his third year and it landed on the footlights side. Whether that's true is a a different matter. He got a third in his degree because he spent all his time rowing and acting.

More A Bit of Fry and Laurie love!

·
Registered
71 Posts
House and Hugh Laurie are both INTJ. Actors most often play characters of their same type, a practice commonly known as type casting. :]

Regarding his type, though, Hugh Laurie/House is a very obvious Ni dom; you can see it in how intense his eyes are. I think that there is no question that he is Thinking, too... thus, INTJ.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I agree with this, even down to inferior Fi vs. Fe. On the rare occasion when he does emote, it is an a selfish, inferior Fi way. I have actually seen INTPs express decent Fe, especially if they were raised in families where they had to do so.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ooh - what you may really enjoy is if you go to youtube and enter Stephen Fry live at the sydney Opera House 2010 (part three) - here Stephen Fry tells of Hugh's early life and meeting him - very funny. He starts talking about Hugh at about 4 mins 50 seconds.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
House and Hugh Laurie are both INTJ. Actors most often play characters of their same type, a practice commonly known as type casting. :]

Regarding his type, though, Hugh Laurie/House is a very obvious Ni dom; you can see it in how intense his eyes are. I think that there is no question that he is Thinking, too... thus, INTJ.

Hugh laurie has not been type casted, he is just a very good actor. the characters he plays on screen are completely different to him in real life

there is a part 2 aswell

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hugh laurie has not been type casted, he is just a very good actor. the characters he plays on screen are completely different to him in real life
Note that I said actors are "most often" type casted, not "every single time". In the case of House, he seems to display INTJ characteristics, and as a character infused with Laurie's own cognitive functions, this only supports typing House an an INTJ. This is not to say that others of Laurie's characters must be INTJ as well, but as House was the most mentioned of his characters in this thread, I figured I would offer my input on the subject.

Personally, I prefer not to type characters in any case. Trying to type a character is all arbitrary anyways, as writers tend to infuse their personalities into that of the character, resulting in a big, jumbled cognitive mess.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Note that I said actors are "most often" type casted, not "every single time". In the case of House, he seems to display INTJ characteristics, and as a character infused with Laurie's own cognitive functions, this only supports typing House an an INTJ. This is not to say that others of Laurie's characters must be INTJ as well, but as House was the most mentioned of his characters in this thread, I figured I would offer my input on the subject.

Personally, I prefer not to type characters in any case. Trying to type a character is all arbitrary anyways, as writers tend to infuse their personalities into that of the character, resulting in a big, jumbled cognitive mess.
I agree on the second part he mentions the writers that house is basically a sherlock of the medical world. with no social skills, very intelligent but with the other part of his brain not working as well as his logic thinking side.

So really like you said its mixed up, we are more than likely looking at a mix of all the best parts of the INTP/INTJ's personality traits

1 - 20 of 25 Posts