Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Computer scientist leads the way to the next revolution in artificial intelligence

While IBM has taken the brute force reductionist approach to reproducing much of the intelligence of the mammalian brain, these researchers have taken the more ethereal theoretical approach. Exactly what their theory is all about I haven't a clue, but now would be a good time for people to explain possibly before the computers start to explain to us themselves. :wink:

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
FINNALLLYYY!!!

AI development needs to be fast tracked because computer evolution is exponentially faster than organic evolution

innovations would come out every day

also

Cleverbot comes very close to passing the Turing Test

Techniche 2011, IIT Guwahati, India, 3rd September 2011
A high-powered version of Cleverbot took part alongside humans in a formal Turing Test at the Techniche 2011 festival. The results from 1,334 votes were astonishing...

Cleverbot was judged to be 59.3% human.

The humans in the event achieved just 63.3%.

"It's higher than even I was expecting, or even hoping for. The figures exceeded 50%, and you could say that's a pass. But 59% is not quite 63%, so there is still a difference between human and machine." Rollo Carpenter

to answer your question the way it looks to me"Each time a Super-Turing machine gets input it literally becomes a different machine," Siegelmann says. "You don't want this for your PC. They are fine and fast calculators and we need them to do that. But if you want a robot to accompany a blind person to the grocery store, you'd like one that can navigate in a dynamic environment. If you want a machine to interact successfully with a human partner, you'd like one that can adapt to idiosyncratic speech, recognize facial patterns and allow interactions between partners to evolve just like we do. That's what this model can offer."
the program sees the environment = e (whatever it sees)
then when something changes its e = this
this = that
that = whatever
so its constantly changing comparing what was before to what it is now
navigating around things by comparing its (the robot)position relative to other things in real time
in any environment while also comparing things to what it has already experienced
so if it sees a person in the store it knows people can move it will focus some attention on that object and predict some outcomes to avoid it to navigate a blind person around a grocery store

kind of like how an optical mouse functions
except a mouse is a "turing" example because it HAS to be on a 2D surface
if this AI were a mouse it could work on a 3D surface IE you could lift the mouse up and it would work fine

i think i explained that right...
im using firefox and i cant adjust the text box size so i cant see it as a whole :sad:

·
Registered
544 Posts
Cool. I want a droid for a friend. :D Then again, I've been playing too much Star Wars...but really, how cool would it be to have an android as a friend? I would especially love to watch it learn and see how far its consciousness would go. A machine's perspective of the world, of beauty, and emotions would be fascinating.

·
Registered
Amateur Newscaster
11,502 Posts
So basically this computer is based on a duplication of the human brain? Sure logically proceeding along this train of thought you could theoretically improve upon this and produce a brain better than any human being.

The issue of course is should we? Looking at the described abilities, it would clearly be a very useful tool for some remarkably capable automated weapons and surveillance systems.

Of course anybody who sounds the alarms as to the danger strong AI poses will simply be ignored and labeled as being ignorant and some kind of luddite -- even despite the fact that computer experts such as Bill Joy have expressed serious worries about robotics and AI -- until eventually somebody creates an A.I. that could seriously endanger mankind.

I'd think it was kind of funny how such intelligent people can be so short-sighted, and how people who develop technologies to benefit mankind have no real objection to creating an artificially intelligent being that could potentially turn on mankind -- some even welcome it.

R.C.
Remember to seriously read my signature down below and be sure you understand what I mean by it...

·
Registered
Amateur Newscaster
11,502 Posts
I just thought about the testing mentioned in the article. They effectively talked about creating this entity and feeding it sensory data to see how it responds to conditions like our real brains do?

Isn't that sort of like creating a sentient being and putting it in a matrix-like scenario?

R.C.
Remember to seriously read my signature down below and be sure you understand what I mean by it...

Reactions: Mutatio NOmenis

·
Registered
Amateur Newscaster
11,502 Posts
I think I've figured it out: A.I. developers are kind of like religious extremists who believe we're in the end times and have taken it upon themselves to accelerating things along.

Of course they're not really religious, but they treat science as if it is a religion (something it isn't and shouldn't be), and they do believe mankind's days are over and that they should accelerate along our demise..

R.C.

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
I think I've figured it out: A.I. developers are kind of like religious extremists who believe we're in the end times and have taken it upon themselves to accelerating things along.
Of course they're not really religious, but they treat science as if it is a religion (something it isn't and shouldn't be), and they do believe mankind's days are over and that they should accelerate along our demise..
Transhumansits are the ones you are thinking of. A majority of them hold antihuman stances. My self included.

·
Registered
624 Posts
The question of should we is already being discussed, in depth, in another thread.

A friend of mine came up with an alternate to the Turing test (he has this weird mind that wants to reverse everything... I think that's why I like him). He said that the real benchmark of AI is not whether it is indistinguishable from a human in the turing test, but whether it can predict AI vs human better than humans can. That is to say can the AI tell that it is talking to a computer?

·
Registered
Amateur Newscaster
11,502 Posts
@Epherion

Transhumansits are the ones you are thinking of. A majority of them hold antihuman stances.
To some extent, though most of them want to become one with their technology. There are some people, however, who work in the field of A.I. and robotics who do not seem to possess such ambitions but wish to develop strong A.I. at any cost -- even if it meant the destruction of mankind. Some are so enthralled in their curiosity that they either fail to appreciate the consequences or do not care for one reason or another. There are some who feel mankind's days are numbered and feel they should accelerate things along.

R.C.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
@RobynC

My friend, you are far, far too pessimistic. You seem to assume that any AI we could design would inherit all of the worst of humanity and none of the best. That it would evolve into a cold, psychopathic killer, and not possess anything human aside from cold logic. If we truly learn to mimic a human brain, then it will be a healthy human brain, one with empathy and conscience. And even if it went wrong, all you have to do to stop it is pull the plug.

Reactions: Epherion

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
@Epherion

To some extent, though most of them want to become one with their technology. There are some people, however, who work in the field of A.I. and robotics who do not seem to possess such ambitions but wish to develop strong A.I. at any cost -- even if it meant the destruction of mankind. Some are so enthralled in their curiosity that they either fail to appreciate the consequences or do not care for one reason or another. There are some who feel mankind's days are numbered and feel they should accelerate things along.
You are a bit of a doomsayer. Whats your take on Bill Joy. And what is your xp in AI?

·
Registered
Amateur Newscaster
11,502 Posts
@Epherion

Whats your take on Bill Joy.
Bill Joy is a computer scientist who expresses worry about certain technologies including robotics and A.I., and the potential threats they pose to humanity. I don't think all technology is a threat to mankind, but I believe some technology is.

R.C.

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
@Epherion

Bill Joy is a computer scientist who expresses worry about certain technologies including robotics and A.I., and the potential threats they pose to humanity. I don't think all technology is a threat to mankind, but I believe some technology is.

R.C.
Bill Joy is predominantly an SE. Its only due to that, that he expresses concern. Personally the death of humans due to machines is greatly exaggerated. McCarthy him self believes AI will come in 500 years.

·
Registered
Amateur Newscaster
11,502 Posts
@Epherion

Its only due to that, that he expresses concern.
Yeah that's the reason -- look the fact is anybody who disagrees with you is either ignorant or a luddite...

R.C.

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
@Epherion
look the fact is anybody who disagrees with you is either ignorant or a luddite...
When have i said that? You are jumping to conclusions. Chill. I want to probe you for info. As in, what is your AI xp?

·
Registered
Amateur Newscaster
11,502 Posts
@Epherion

When have i said that? You are jumping to conclusions.
Well you basically dismissed the concerns of a computer expert. Though he may have been predominantly SE oriented, he is not lacking in A.I. knowledge

R.C.

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
@Epherion

Well you basically dismissed the concerns of a computer expert. Though he may have been predominantly SE oriented, he is not lacking in A.I. knowledge

R.C.
Did not dismiss him. I said his concern for all G.N.R. is based on his xp in SE. While highly essential its not the only perspective on the matter. Have you heard of Jaron Lanier?

I re iterate, have you heard of the Red papers? You have habit of answering only parts of my questions.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts