Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes I think how unsuitable humans are to live on the planet.

Okay, so we've got a lot of third party intervention going on, with medications and technology, however it seems that we require a lot of support to deal with planetary conditions. When looking at the big picture, it doesn't seem like we're adept to survival here at all.

• Can't go outside during winter in a lot of places without freezing to death, or having the appropriate technology.
  • Sunscreen to go outside almost any time.
  • Susceptibility to countless bacteria and viruses that are ever increasing.
What do you think of the human race?

Do you see us as tough, or frail?

·
Registered
9,461 Posts
Because of our now greatly extended lifetime, things that would normally not be an issue(like sunlight) suddenly piles on and takes a toll.

We only exist in cold climates because we figured out how to handle it. We're not native to cold.

Humans are technology. Without it, we would die so fast that future other species archaeologists would go "the hell happened to you guys?"

...HEY, maybe that's what happened to the dinosaurs? :proud:

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Humans are technology. Without it, we would die so fast that future other species archaeologists would go "the hell happened to you guys?"
This was just so funny :laughing:

But to say something on the topic xD
I see humanity as a huge parasite on the planet. And as such we're pretty strong one. We adapt pretty well and use up everything we can from the planet's resources. Now we just have to find the ways to infest the rest of the galaxy (or the solar system for start) and use the resources on other planets to sustain the way humanity is used to live.

·
Registered
INTP
1,739 Posts
How are we unsuited when we have spread to every continent on Earth? Our best adaptation is our minds and we use it to help us live anywhere since physically, we are frail creatures.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Can't go outside during winter in a lot of places without freezing to death, or having the appropriate technology.
Pretty unsurprising for something that evolved on a warm plain/savannah/desert/thing.
How about fish? They can't leave water, even in the summer.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
When looking at the big picture, it doesn't seem like we're adept to survival here at all.
read that back to yourself to understand how ridiculously stupid it is

·
黐線 ~Chiseen~
5,240 Posts
if they're surviving in the wild, they'll use poison ivy leaves as toilet paper because they didnt know better... well, most people... anyway.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Sometimes I think how unsuitable humans are to live on the planet.

Okay, so we've got a lot of third party intervention going on, with medications and technology, however it seems that we require a lot of support to deal with planetary conditions. When looking at the big picture, it doesn't seem like we're adept to survival here at all.

• Can't go outside during winter in a lot of places without freezing to death, or having the appropriate technology.
  • Sunscreen to go outside almost any time.
  • Susceptibility to countless bacteria and viruses that are ever increasing.
What do you think of the human race?

We are the virus, actually.

·
Banned
2,616 Posts
I think it's our current lifestyle that is not suitable for this planet. If we had a lower population, lived off the land, and got rid of all our practices that are destroying the planet, than we could probably sustain ourselves for a hell of a lot longer.

As for the whole going outside, viruses, and sun screen - we do adapt to that. Creating technology is our adaptation, and totally natural, though some of our solutions are not always good for us in the long run.

·
Registered
351 Posts
We are very frail and species of human have depended on technology for survival for over 2 million years. It's incredible when you think that our growing brains might have been the one thing keeping us from extinction. But I don't think because we're physically frail that we're not suited for survival on this planet. Some other animals use technology to compensate for physical disadvantages and that's what we do as well; we utilize our planet's resources for survival. And if you take away a chimp's or an orangutan's resources for making tools they're going to have a bit of a challenge surviving as well.
If anything, I think we're one of the best adapted to this planet since we have the most advanced understanding of how to use this planet's resources for the continuation of our species. Creating protection from UV rays and freezing temperatures is easier for us than it is for animals that have only physical adaptations to rely on. We can live in almost any area of this planet because of this, and I think that makes us very suited to this planet.
At the same time, though, we haven't been around as long as any of the hominids in our evolutionary history. Maybe with such a short time frame as 200,000 years it's hard to say if our way of surviving will allow us to last as long as our ancestors. Maybe we'll end up depleting our resources and our numbers will fall until we become extinct, or maybe we'll last longer than any of our hominid ancestors.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Oh, God, I can't stand it when people think humanity is virus on this planet. Pretty much any biological species that could get to where we are now would be doing pretty much what we're doing now. I can't stand it, it's like it has suddenly become hip to be a misanthrope, seriously if you think humans are such vermin, kill yourselves now so that we may be rid of your stupidity. Then everyone else can get on with trying to solve the problems we cause rather than just whining about them.

·
Maid of Time
14,753 Posts
Thinking big picture, considering we currently dominate the planet and have for a long time, as opposed to other species, overall (based on the data) we are VERY tough... or, actually, the better word choice is "adaptable/flexible." We have the brains and self-consciousness to examine our surroundings, make decisions to improve our survival, and the physical means to carry those things out. As such, we have dominated the planet. Bears might be stronger than us, viruses more flexible, sharks are better swimmers and birds better fliers, but are they in the position we are in? No.

However, we're also in a position to muck up the planet and hurt many species, not just ourselves, and maybe even destroy ourselves. The sword is two-edged.

But I would say on the "one-to-one" level, we're pretty physically frail compared to some other critters.
@SpiderMoon -- just read your post, yes, very similar to my thinking as well.

Reactions: Ophilia

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Oh, God, I can't stand it when people think humanity is virus on this planet. Pretty much any biological species that could get to where we are now would be doing pretty much what we're doing now. I can't stand it, it's like it has suddenly become hip to be a misanthrope, seriously if you think humans are such vermin, kill yourselves now so that we may be rid of your stupidity. Then everyone else can get on with trying to solve the problems we cause rather than just whining about them.
Now that's unfair. I'm not a misanthrope and I don't think humans are vermin. Actually I didn't imply any of those things you said, that were obviously directed at me.
I simply made a statement without feeling. It is true that life has the characteristics of a virus. It's like a super-virus. No need to take this personally. This was mostly a reply to what Ista said about how unsuitable we are for this planet, one of the reasons being the susceptibility to bacteria and viruses. It's all the same though, we're all life forms fighting for survival.

Next time don't jump to conclusions and don't hurry to advise people to kill themselves.

·
Maid of Time
14,753 Posts
I'm probably just stating the obvious here...

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
I think we're tough in the sense that we've learned to manage our frailty.

But with adaption comes fine-tuning, and with fine-tuning frailty in that we're not easily adaptable to other circumstances and paradigms. So with evolution comes a sort of softness as well, and this is true of many other higher species, humans aside.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I was under the impression that the planet was trying to kill us, and that was why humans were badass.

What's with you guys?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts